Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: More info from CS on Elizabeth's blonde hair and blue eyes.....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

As Shorite said collector Barbies are not made with "kids" in mind they are for adults as look at not play with dolls. People who think Babrie "play line" is tame compared to Bratz has not looked at the Barbie play line (also known as pink box) recently. I can't even tell them apart Mattel has re-vamped Barbie and her friends and sisters they all have those huge heads and small bodies. Like Bratz

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Gingerharp I agree. Blonde hair and blue eyes is vey classic and has been considered an ideal for a loooong time but dark hair just seems to fit the Victorian age. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that we actually have photographs from that time and since they are black and white, everyones hair looks dark! This is related to that as well, but maybe it also has to do with the fact that much of the style of that time was dark. Like the clothing and furniture and such. But thats funny that you think that too cause I have always thought it as well.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by MareGathersWords:
    ... What's wrong with Barbie? I used to say the same things about Barbie being sterotypical and sexist and a bad influence...and then the Bratz dolls came out and I think Barbie is pretty darn tame in comparision. ..
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Bratz does make Barbie look good, big time! I'm one of those AG collectors who hope Mattel won't go Barbie on the AG girls but at the same time, I love my Barbies. I collect the ones with the glorious international and historical costumes. They're fabulous and imo excellent value.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We just purchased Barbie as Galadrial from LOTR, she is just beautiful. My girls like Barbie, but I have brainwashed them into not liking Bratz at all (you only have to say "Mom doesn't like those Bratz dolls" so many times and before you know it they feel the same way!). We also don't buy the new My Scene Barbies, as they do look an awful lot like Bratz. They do like the Fairytopia ones, and the Swan Lake and Nutcracker Barbies. Then of course there's Pet Doctor Barbie . . .

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I played with Barbies for years and years when I was little until I discovered American Girl. I still have all my Barbies, and I'm happy I do to be able to give them to any future daughter(s) I may have. The majority of my female friends played with barbies when they were little, as well. We've all turned out totally normal, probably better than. Of course, I'm not going to atribute it to Barbie, because that would be ludicrus, but no one will ever be able to say that Barbie hurt my image of beauty or self-worth while growing up, nor do I believe she does to any little girl. And, the Kelly dolls are just plain adorable. [img]wink.gif[/img]

Anyway, I agree that blonde hair, blue eyes, and a hot pink dress DO shout out Barbie. And while I like Barbie, AG and Barbie have nothing in common (except common ownership), and they should be smart enough to know that we should not be having to state that a new AG dolls reminds us of how Barbie looks. Hopefully, Mattel will be getting lots of angry calls when Elizabeth comes out from people saying they don't like how they've Barbie-fied AG dolls.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't know why I assoicate Victorian beauty with dark hair but I just do. Kind of like the way Aunt Cornelia used to look before they made her a blonde too.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Dark hair was the most desired color during the Victorian age because Queen Victoria herself had dark hair and dark eyes. All standards of beauty and clothing and furniture, everything, during the Victorian period can be tied directly to Victoria's looks and her personal taste.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by shortie421:
    My problem is a mix of Mattel not staying true to the books and that since that combination is such an ideal in our society, you see it a lot in dolls. Brown hair and brown eyes is often considered boring and so they are less common. IMO, this largely influenced their decision to change Elizabeth. And thats just downright shallow.<font color="#051E50"><font size="1">[ May 26, 2005 05:22 PM: Message edited by: shortie421 ]</font></font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think they made Elizabeth blonde with blue eyes to make her different from --Samantha-- rather than Felicity.

Think about it -- Mattels big push last year was for Samantha and her friend Nellie, and Sam is brown/brown.

Many parents will look at the doll they bought last year and why buy another that looks like this one? So Elizabeth's coloring had to change...

Lori, Felicity, Willow Jade and Hitty Lorena

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lori That Actually makes a lot of sense.

Really out of the Historicals (Not AGOT) there are only two that are true blonds - Kirsten and Kit. Nellie is a Strawberry blond/Red Head You have Samantha and Molly who are brunettes and Felicity who is Auburn. Addy HAs black hair, Josefina has brown with Highlights and Kaya who is Native American.

I know people want to stay true to the story, and I agree that Mattel should have, but it is a little insulting (Not mad, just making a point) hearing all the blond bashing [img]graemlins/wilted.gif[/img]

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567