Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am trying to reorganize my doll clothes (holy moly I have a lot- over 50 outfits)

Do you keep your boxes?
    If I put them in baggies do you recommend quart sized or gallon sized?

Do you think it is better to organize by doll or by season?

<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ September 28, 2005 06:30 PM: Message edited by: Skittl1321 ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have a trunk my grandmother made me when I was a little girl... it looks EXACTLY like Kirstens trunk except for its probably 5 times larger. I place all my doll clothes inside it, and fold up the original boxes and store them separately incase someday I want to resell them or something... The trunk works great for preventing dust and stuff and it has that rosemaling along the outside with my name on it! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I like the gallon size purple zipper bags. They fit everything really well, even the big hats. The bags are really great to keep a whole outfit set together and dust free, and the zipper is so easy and quick to open and close. I roll out as much air as possible to flatten them out or if I want to protect a hat from being crushed I puff it up with air! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Chauster:
    I like the gallon size purple zipper bags. They fit everything really well, even the big hats. The bags are really great to keep a whole outfit set together and dust free, and the zipper is so easy and quick to open and close. I roll out as much air as possible to flatten them out or if I want to protect a hat from being crushed I puff it up with air! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I was just thinking of asking what everyone does with their hat collection! Right now mine are stacked in a cardboard box, and I only go in to get one when I need it! *sigh* I have no idea what to do with them all, and I'm sure there'll be more on the way, knowing how AG likes to make hats for Samantha - and now Nellie, too! I'm not sure the plastic bag thing would work for me. Then they'd just be in plastic bags in the cardboard box! [img]redface.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ksami, I keep the hats with the outfits, those bags are puffed up with air and it seems to work well for protecting the hats. I'm not a fan of hats though so I tend to leave them off anyhow. And I have this thing with cardboard boxes, I've been traumatized by silverfishes! [img]eek.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I keep some of the boxes that my outfits came in. Right now I just store my doll clothes in plastic storage containers and it's working pretty well.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Chauster:
    Ksami, I keep the hats with the outfits, those bags are puffed up with air and it seems to work well for protecting the hats. I'm not a fan of hats though so I tend to leave them off anyhow. And I have this thing with cardboard boxes, I've been traumatized by silverfishes! [img]eek.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I do this as well, and it works great. Also, I discovered that spiders are fond of cardboard boxes.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I went through and put all my outfits into quart bags labeled with the outfit description and all the pieces. Everything fit in a quart bag except Felicity's PM riding habit and hat (to bulky) and Felicity's brocade hat and slippers (to wide). Those went into quart bags.

I did this for all the outfits, except those the girls were wearing. Tomorrow I will change the girls into their October outfits so that I can catalog the current items they are wearing.

I realized I am losing my mind. I would have sworn I owned Addy's Christmas dress, but there appears to be no evidence supporting that.

These are the pieces I am missing. Presumably, some of the items are being worn by the dolls, but many of them are actually missing. Kirsten's stuff especially is actually missing. Many of those items were given to me by a friend last year when she realized she still had them. I was lucky to get some cool PM stuff, but lots of missing pieces. I also have a pile of unmatched items, so hopefully that will also help fill some of these items up.

Felicity
    Spring Gown- Stockings
    meet- shift, white stockings, black shoes
    school- mob cap

Kirsten
    Birthday- white apron, socks
    School Dress- Dark Blue Ribbons
    meet outfit- stockings, pantalettes, ribbons, boots
    st. lucia- red ribbons, striped stockings
    swedish dirndl- blouse, kerchief
    hand knit woolens- mittens

Molly
    Meet- red hairbows, white anklets, mary jane shoes

Addy
    Meet- drawers, black stockings, boots, blue ribbon

Samantha
    Holiday- white stockings, hair ribbon
    Meet- Bow, Black stockings, shoes
    Birthday- Stockings

Josefina
    Feast Day- Red ribbon
    christmas- pantalettes, white stockings
    meet- drawers, moccasins, blue ribbon, primroses

Kit
    Meet Outfit - Underwear, Sandals, Barrette
    Christmas- white stockings

Now I have to figure out if the bags go directly into the nightstand built to store them, or if they should be sorted into bins by doll, or by season.

Now someone please convince me there is no reason for me to keep all the original boxes, except one or two to hold hats.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for all the advice! However, I like to hang up my dolls' outfits. Each of my girls have their own slacks hanger (with the reinforced horizontal thing), and the doll hangers go over this. Each girl's outfit accessories go into her own personal box - the size of the box that the meet accessories come in. But hats don't hang well, they're too big to fit in the accessory box, and there's way too many to hang on posts on the wall or something. There's two things I wish AG would make: garment bags (pref. fabric this time, not plastic), and hat boxes!

For some reason, bugs do like cardboard. If you package-tape all the edges, though, they can't get in very easily. But still, cardboard isn't the prettiest way to store stuff.

I was wondering, does anybody know whether the paper AG puts inside their boxes is dye free and acid free? Is it safe to pack things away in for a long time?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

American Girl Used to have a garment bag. I think it was with the original traveling accessories. The basket, garment bag and "ditty" bag. Oh I lusted over that set.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast