Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I won't be picking it up 'til Saturday, and if I had a spine I wouldn't pick it up at all, here's the short form: If they're still leaning that heavily toward the Priestcrawler thing, AND "the old friend" ends up being some what?huh? German pal, AND there are big chunks of dialogue in German (I dunno: it seems kinda cool when half an issue of "100 Bullets" is done in French, but this seems obfuscatory and a little rude), it sounds like a waste of three bucks.

It--the priest angle--was a poorly thought-out idea that Claremont dropped like a firecracker, and we've been stuck with it ever since.

Anything (and I mean ANYTHING: a thermonuclear explosion, a chainsaw, a school of pirhanas) that would get Kurt out of that [BAMF]ing collar would be good. Angst won't do it. Looks like a misser to me.

By the by, this is my first post over here. I'm not much for the shy wallflower tack, so apologies in advance for the crushed toes. Blame Bamfette; I followed her over here....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Kill him? Uh, I almost panicked there for a second, and then I remembered -- he's in the movie. He's safe. Marvel knows better than to kill off a character that they may be able to bank on when the movie comes out. I'll also bet that when Austen makes him fun again that it'll be conveniently just about the time the movie is released.

As for 407, I liked it, but I wonder what all that Pontiff *did* do to him. We know he took away his faith in the dream, more or less. I'm thinking more that he took away Kurt's self confidence in his own beliefs and judgement. Poor baby's having a early mid-life crisis. I think he might be considering investing in some mountaintop back country property like his hermit friend right now.

It's his nightmare that bothers me. What was exactly the point in showing all that? A hint for the future? Were those hordes of Pontiff toadies and that X-cross just symbolic, or is he seeing the Pontiff's ultimate plans for him? Scary thought, huh? Maybe Mr. Pointy Hat is just indulging in a little psychological torture before closing in on his prey. Maybe he's going to isolate Kurt to drive him nuts and then use him as a poster boy as to why mutants should be destroyed. Hmmm....

Here's the thing though: he knows that Pontiff did something to him, even if he doesn't know exactly what. Wouldn't he tell somebody he's feeling goofy and why? Other than Chamber, I mean. I guess its possible that's part of what the Pontiff did to him, compel him NOT to tell anyone what's wrong with him.

I also think this issue contains the one line you NEVER thought you'd hear anyone say to Nighty: "What's with the attitude, Kurt?"

Oh, and hi there, Punctuator! Don't be shy, just state your mind. ;^D And for the record, most of us here hate the priest thing too.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Chuck Austen alternately worries me senseless and makes me insanely happy. Havok is joining Uncanny!!! [img]biggrin.gif[/img] actually it was Grant Morrison who spoiled that, but Chuck confirmed it.

but good point about the movie *whew* so that means Iceman is safe as well, as is Woverine (duh) so... oh no... Warren, poor baby [img]frown.gif[/img] it could also be Northstar, but somehow i doubt it. i dunno why. and it can't be Havok, because that would just be cruel.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I really liked the ish. Definitely a change of pace. Also it's good to see characters from, and referances to Kurt's life before he joined the X-MEN. Enjoyed the interaction and dialogue between Kurt and Jono. Ditto about the interaction between Kurt and the rest of the team. You could really feel the tension and uneasiness between them.

What I didnt like? Although I know that AUSTEN plans to eventually make WARREN team leader, seeing him slowly start to act the part still annoyed the heck out of me. I couldnt help thinking "Hey buddy, that's Nightcrawler's job!" [img]mad.gif[/img]

The other thing that really bothered me? The sense of 'Deja Vu' I had while reading the story. The same feeling that hit me as I read through Casey's POPTOPIA. Mysterious encounter with the Supreme Pontiff notwithstanding, reflective, angsty-Kurt in a crisis over whether to continue fighting for Xavier's dream has been done before.
    I've always liked CASEY's stuff, and for the most part have enjoyed his run. I really wish though, that he would've done more things like the awesome VANISHER story in the last annual, and less of the stuff that feels like he's revisisting ground that CLAREMONT treaded on years ago.

BAMF!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Nocturne:
    .. Warren, poor baby [img]frown.gif[/img] it could also be Northstar, but somehow i doubt it. i dunno why. and it can't be Havok, because that would just be cruel.</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ooooh, it better not be HAVOK! Actually i'd also hate for it to be WARREN. [img]frown.gif[/img]

Maybe it'll be STACY [img]smile.gif[/img] ....*crossing fingers while apologizing to her budding fanbase* LOL!

BAMF!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

hey i know you [img]smile.gif[/img] (I'm Bamfette)

don't jump to conclusions so quickly though, he mentions his faith in god *once* in the entire issue, very briefly. basically only mentioned so we know that that is not what was taken from him. also the German is not essential to understanding the story...

basically this issue is just saying "look, he's acting weird" but i think it will lead to something. if that is him leaving the priesthood - great! if not, Casey never focused on that anyway, it was always shoved to the back with him. and Chuck Austens plans are to make him fun again so i don't think we have too much to worry about on the priest angle at the very least

oh, and for the record, i agree with you completely about how bad the whole priest thing sucks [img]frown.gif[/img] but i'll live with it for now, sooner or later some writer will have him come to his senses, i'm sure. providing Austen doesn't kill him. Chuck jsut said that someone on the team will be dying [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

<font color="#2c557f" size="1">[ June 07, 2002 12:46 PM: Message edited by: Nocturne ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

An X-Man dies?

Puh-lease...when do these guys ever stay dead?

Just about every one of them has been dead, or thought to be dead, or near to dead, at some time or another, just to return some time later with a new look or attitude or something...

Angel died only to return as Archangel...

Nightcrawler almost died, then formed Excalibur. Then died again to be replaced by a simpering would-be-priest look-a-like..

Wolverine's been dead too many times to count...

Iceman? Hmmm...can't recall him ever dancing with the Reaper...

Havok...he's died a couple of times now...

Northstar...well...I know diddly squat about him...

Stacy X...too new to have died yet...

Well...if somebody IS destined to die...it better not be Kurt...or I will be very put out!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ok, I got tired of waiting and drove alllllll the way to the big city to pick #407 up.

First off, I thought that it was a good issue, even if the subject matter was distressing...kurt seems soul weary and tired of fighting with no sign that it's doing mutantkind any good, i dont blame him, I would feel the same way in his place.

Kurt is not a naturally violent person, and I think that one thing that casey is hinting at, is that Kurt wants peace, it may be one of the reasons for the whole priesthood thing, was his desire to find peace.
    The other things that struck me were that kurt seemed to feel a real sense of isolation and of being out of place with the rest of the team, and was, to my mind, somewhat confrontational and bitter with them.

It should be remembered that the X-Men have changed a lot to Kurt's mind and all of his old friends are either dead ( Pete Rasputin ) or have left to go their own ways ( Kitty and Wolvie )
    so he probably feels pretty alone right now. He never has been that close to either Bobby or Warren, and doesnt seem inclined to be more then team mates with stacy or chamber.

I dont know whats up with the monster teleport to the Alps, but thats not a lot to worry about considering some of the other weird things that have been written into the story line before. Bobby and Stacy really busted me up with the dialogue.

I am DYING to talk to Austen over on XFan, but they STILL havent authorized my stupid account so I havent been able to post... GRRRRRRRRR!, but with what all Austen has said about Kurt, AND his recent rise in popularity, it seems very unlikely that he will be killed off. Austen seems to really like Kurt and have some rather long range plans for him, including making him fun again.

My guess would be either Bobby or Stacy ( we can hope...) though I think that it's rather pointless to keep killing off charactors.

Just a thought on the crucifiction in his nightmare...I wonder if kurt is'nt feeling that
    he is going to end up a matyr, as it were, to the mutant cause, that he has given up his chance at life to fight for Xaviers dream...he seems to feel real regret at leaving the circus at one point in the book....also, it's interesting symbology, the flames about to destroy him and the next image is of a waterfall..hmmmmmm

lots to think about, cant wait for the next two issues.

Pandora

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ugh. I guess I'm the only one who hates when Kurt is drawn like he's balding.

Overall, this issue was a disappointment. Not much happened and what did was just blah. No bang, just whining. Although I do feel somewhat better now that Nocturne has pointed out that it said he had valued the dream over his faith.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Was i just imagining it or did Austen say that he was gonna get rid of Chamber about a month ago. I think i saw it over on X-Fan. He also said that he was orriginally going to get rid of Stacy at first, but got to like her and decided that she should stay on the team. Personally, i would be much happier if nobody died, it seems like a sorta cheap way of infusing drama into the series, but its not my decision so I'll just be quiet now. At least it prolly isnt going to be Nighty [img]smile.gif[/img]

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast