Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

This topic is really just a ploy to transition myself from lurker to poster, but I thought it was slightly more interesting than "Uh, I'm new."

So...uh, I'm new.

But, additionally, thinking of a few spinoffs I've seen masterfully executed in other comics, who do you think would make a successful spinoff character from SIP?

I haven't quite formulated an opinion on this subject, incidentally, but I think someone largely peripheral would be good...someone who could do with some more in-depth character development.

Please forgive me if this topic has been posted before.

Thanks for listening...
    -b.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation

i'd like to get more in-depth information on marybeth. and casey. casey intrigues me... i like how terry's fleshed out her character (new boobs, and a more detailed personality! score!) in more recent comics.

i'd also like to find out more of david's past.

edited to say:
    welcome to the forums! smile

[This message has been edited by ShadeFell (edited July 28, 2001).]

Inactive Member christinethebean's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wink

welcome bee!

personally, i think that a spinoff of a comic directed around tambi, with sip tie-ins would be cool. like what she's doing with her new found powers and whatnot.

or maybe one of aunt libby and that chainsaw of hers, hehe

------------------
    within this calm sexy body beats the heart of a true scientist. ~ harry block

bean's site

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I like the Tambi idea--and at the risk of alienating all the non-superhero fans--she'd make a great superhero, though not in the traditional sense. In the sort of dark-avenger sense, and I think we all know she'd take no prisoners...

After a day of ruminating, I think I'd also like to see a sort of Griffin Silver Behind the Music (unless this has already been done...I only pick up the TPBs...forgive me!)

And I know there's already a GS thread on the boards, but I'm disappointed to hear that he might end up being more than a soundtrack. I liked that he was a mysterious figure, somewhat outside the reality of the main characters. I'm not sure I want to see him BECOME a regular character. I liked him larger-than-life rather than part of it.

------------------
    http://www.spinnerrack.com

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think I remember Terry talking about a Parker Girls spinoff, but that was a couple of years ago and I don't know what he thinks about that now. I think it would be kewll in a Machiavellian way.

------------------
    Deo volente, Magiae adero.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, as resident dissenter, I have to say I would really rather not see any spin offs. I just don't see any of the characters as strong enough to carry a story on their own-ie they interest me only in the context of Katchoo and Francine. The only chracters I think who deserve a 'spinoff' are K & F, but of course, that's kinda silly, because SiP is already about them. Not to say an issue or two focusing mostly or even entirely on David or manybe tambi wouldn't be good, but a whole extra series(even limited) is unneccesary. Also, I don't want to see Terry re-hashing SiP-now or after it's complete. James O'Barr was a 1 trick pony(and he's just the only one that leaps to mind...), and I'd really hate to see the same said about Terry.

Darth

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Please don't hate me for saying this, but why does Terry have to do a spinoff?

It might be cool to see someone else's take on the SIP, uh, universe.

I'm thinking of Lucifer, which is a really grand spinoff from Sandman: Here we have a peripheral character who had enough potential to fuel his own series (Tambi certainly does...) but it's done by someone else entirely.

I'm not saying that SiP should become some sort of Hydra, with a billion different writers/artists doing different "versions" of the characters, but it might be cool to see. At least I think it would.

-b.

------------------
    http://www.spinnerrack.com

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't hate you b, I must have misunderstood your initial post tho.....

Whether or not Terry does it, the basic problem still exsists-the characters aren't really capable of standing on their own-Tambi is a standard 'tough bitch' whose only distinguishing characteristic was the 'revelation' factor-once that wears off, she's a minor support character at best.

David, well I think the only reason we haven't(and likely won't) see his past or 'origin' if you prefer, is because what we could think up on our own is likely better than we'd get. Do we need to SEE Darcy seducing her own baby brother right on the page? Or him done up gang style? No, and to be honest, Terry doesn't do 'gritty' well, and liklely he'll just leave it to our imagination.

Also, as an independant creator, and a very protective on at that, I just don't see Terry handing over one of his characters to someone else, unless it was for them to script a plot he wrote.

But, in any event, regardless of whether or not Terry does or does not do anything of the sort, it's fun to discuss the ins and outs of it with fellow fans, is it not? biggrin
    We gotta fill the 6 weeks somehow, right?

Darth

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    And he'd never let Jim Lee draw Francine or Katchoo, would he? wink

------------------
    Deo volente, Magiae adero.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There's a big difference between letting your new publisher guest draw a few pages and letting him make up new stories with them........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast