Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Maybe a stupid question...How do I transfer film to video to edit?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It could be that I gave you the Kodak online number, and instead, you have to call another number...according to a november post on Mike Brantley's super 8 forum, people are still getting the film plus processing...here is a quote from that post.... <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="verdana, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="verdana, sans-serif"> </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>You can't get it online. That's my complaint. You have to call 1-800-621-FILM and ask for CAT No. 505 3335. It's $13.54/cart plus sales tax (for whatever state you live in) plus shipping. If K-40 w/o processing is $10.83 then you are getting the PK-59 mailer for $2.71. B&H charges $5.59 so it's a savings of $2.88 on the mailer. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="verdana, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="verdana, sans-serif"> </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>....try that new number, Chris, and see if they know about it...sorry if I gave out bad advice..let me know what happens! mikeyb

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'll try the new one tomorrow! Thanks man,

Chris

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="verdana, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="verdana, sans-serif">Originally posted by 4score:
    Thanks Mikey.

One more stupid question.....How much filming time do you get with a 50' roll?
    </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's not a stupid question.

But before I freak you out with how little running time you actually get...remember, you get THREE THOUSAND SIX HUNDRED INDIVIDUALLY WRAPPED FILM IMAGES, each on it's own framed canvass.

Should you choose to shoot your film wad all at once by continuously running the camera, you'll get 3 minutes and 20 seconds at 18FPS, or 2 minutes and 30 seconds if you shoot 24 frames per second.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oh wow. That just kinda blew my mind. LOL I'm still going to give super 8 a chance....but wow! I mean....with digital, I might shoot around for a few hours and only keep the 10 mins of video... [img]redface.gif[/img] I guess I'll have to really be conservative with film. Gee Wiz,

Chris

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

But remember this. Most home movies that have been shot with Super-8 are cherished and valued as family heirlooms.

Video home-movies are epic productions that most people can't stand to sit through because of the very reason you speak of, hours of footage shot, when what is really wanted is just the highlights.

Shooting film gets you into a filmmaker's frame of mind. Shooting Digital makes sense for projects where continuous audio recording is essential to the projects success.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The moderator speaks the truth! I recently compiled a video for a friend consisting of their old regular 8mm movies and VHS videos...Having to sit thru all of it, I can tell you the film portion with music from various cd's was FAR more interesting and watchable than the video portion with it's own audio...the film showed just highlights, and had it's own retro look and sparkle...while the VHS was dark, murky, and just plain boring! Even with judicious editing, the film would still be more interesting. The very nature only having 50 ft forces you to be ruthless with what you photograph...another example, I filmed my daughter last week out in the snow (wanted to test my polarizing filter)...since I was filming, I had to film the meat and potatoes of her snow fort building....not alot of boring dialogue and 30 minutes of repetition...in contrast, I used my sony trv-900 to tape her indoor swimming lesson the week before, and I can probably edit about 90 percent of it....! Mikey B

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree. Film is much less monotinous to sit through. Does anyone know if a Canon 518 SV has sound capability with the right kind of film?

ChrisA

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ August 31, 2003 09:08 AM: Message edited by: cameraguy ]</font></font>

-------------

Original message reinserted by the moderator to keep the entire topic thread intact.

-------------

Originally posted by 4score:
    I agree. Film is much less monotinous to sit through. Does anyone know if a Canon 518 SV has sound capability with the right kind of film?

ChrisA
    <font size="2" face="verdana, sans-serif">No, The 518 SV is a silent camera and the now out of production sound cartridges won't even fit. All the current silent stocks from Kodak will work fine in the camera. The best way to do sound with this or any other camera is to have your Sony DV recording along side. If you slate each take at the begining and end you can, once your film is transferred to video, match up the audio spikes to the slate closings in the picture. Since the Super 8 camera may vary a bit in speed the audio can drift a bit with longer than 10-15 second takes. Tweeking the audio by time streching or compression can make it fit right.

Having said all that here's an interesting idea for your "just a penny" short. Shoot it in DV with sound. Then shoot it in Super 8 as a silent film. No s! ound will force you to pay more attention to the visual elements to help portray the story and if done right it will be light years more interesting (or satisfying) to watch than the sound version on video. [img]wink.gif[/img]

<font color="#7BC618" size="1">[ November 08, 2003 11:12 PM: Message edited by: Alex ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb

Cameraguy, that is simply a brilliant [img]graemlins/idea.gif[/img] idea. It's such a brilliant idea it should be adopted in film courses throughout the country.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My daughter is going to take an Into to Filmmaking class in high school next year...when I asked what gauge of film was to be used, the reply was "video" ....shocking misuse of the good name of film...they should rename the class, "Camcorder 101"...! [img]graemlins/film.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast