Thread: Group Film...Post-Production Aspects...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

One very large hurdle to overcome is that half of the world has PAL for a video standard, the other half has NTSC for a video standard...and of course there is SECAM, (even PAL-B now exists???)

If all the films were assembled and transferred at the same time to NTSC Beta-Cam SP AND Pal Beta-Cam SP...all other editing options would still be preserved.

After the Super-8 footage was transferred to Beta-Cam SP NTSC and PAL, individual video copies could be made to the format and international standard of choice for each filmmaker.

For anyone interested in seeing a comparison between rank and non-rank transfer methods, the entire unedited film reel or reels could then be retransferred a second time using a non-rank transfer service to be determined by those participating in the project.

After this second video transfer, the original elements could be returned to everyone so that all filmmakers could have a choice of either editing the film or editing a video version of the film.

Upon completion of the films, I could make a Beta-Cam SP assembly tape of all the productions. At this stage however, I would probably only make an NTSC Beta-Cam SP version of the final films.

However, and this is a big however, I might be able to "re-conform" PAL video-edited projects by matching up the original NTSC Beta-Cam SP elements to the finished PAL version.

This would result in a one-standard Beta-Cam SP master that could then be "converted" to PAL.

Any questions? [img]graemlins/bat.gif[/img] [img]rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]eek.gif[/img] [img]confused.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

Editing on video puts me in a hole as I have no way to do it at home. I would definitely be having Moviestuff do the transfer since I can't afford Rank. That leaves me with a miniDV or SVHS tape which I can't even play.

I guess I could edit on film and have the transfer done after. That still leaves adding sound.

If I had enough drive I bet I could lark out some Umatic machines for free. Hmmmm

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Assuming this project takes a few months to reach the "go" stage, if all the films are on one reel, the rank per person would really become quite small, probably around $50.00 per filmmaker.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

First things first. Who wants in?? Lets pick a date soon. [img]cool.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We have another topic thread where filmmakers have begun responding...

http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ult...ic&f=405&t=199