Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: light?mics?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member bionicninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 30th, 2004
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    what kind of lights and mics do you use?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member oldasdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2003
    Posts
    362
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    what kind of lights and mics do you use?
    Depends entirely upon the situation.My day to stuff,since I'm a news shooter,I use as much natural light as I can get away with because it doesn't draw attention,keeps the subject from being too aware of my presense and most of the time looks better anyway.From time to time,if I'm doing a special project I will light with one or both of the Lowell 650's with the umbrellas.If needed I'll use the mini light on top of the camera,but I don't like to since it drains battery power and robs from the natural look.
    I have a general "stick" mic with a built in windscreen for interviews,typical TV news thing with the station's logo on a cube.I use a Lectrosonics wireless transmitter and reciever which also works well with my Sony ECM 50 lavelier.
    My independent film work, I'll use whatever the budget allows and what suits the need.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member rollemfilm's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 1st, 2000
    Posts
    437
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I make documentaries so I never use lights:

    www.rollemfilm.com

    But I have some great mics. Shotgun, some studio mics and a few dynamic mics. If you are looking to buy a mic(s), do some research. Are you doing
    sync sound with dialog or just general recording?
    What kind of recorder do you have?

  4. #4
    Inactive Member oldasdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2003
    Posts
    362
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I make documentaries so I never use lights:

    What film stocks do you shoot on?I shoot news and documentaries primarily.Majority of what I shoot on is video,occasionally film.In the last 7 to 10 years I use a lot fewer lights then I used to.I would say about 80% of what I shoot for broadcast news is all natural light.I use reflectors and fill light on interviews,standups and live shots.When I want to shoot a special though,I'll do pretty 3 point lighting for interviews.
    You NEVER use lights?

  5. #5
    Inactive Member rollemfilm's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 1st, 2000
    Posts
    437
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    On my first film I used one light for some interview/performace scenes. Now I never use them for my documentary work. Never! It goes way back to when I started working as a photographer. All the photograpers I liked never used flash. So through the years I developed my own style of shooting, both stills and cinema, with natural light. I tried flash a few times but was horrified by the results.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member oldasdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2003
    Posts
    362
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    What stock do you shoot on?Do you ever use reflectors, mirrors or bounce boards?

  7. #7
    Inactive Member rollemfilm's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 1st, 2000
    Posts
    437
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    16mm- 7222 Double-X negative, Tri-X & Vision neg.
    Sometimes Kodachrome & Plus-X.

    super 8- Tri-X, Plus-X, Kodachrome & Vision 200

    Most of my work is black & white. Although, I am working towards the day I can shoot an entire film in color negative with the new Vision 2 500 stock. But the cost, outside of real short films, is more than my budgets allow.

    No, I never use reflectors or any lighting gear. It's a two man crew. Camera & recorder. The only thing I may do is replace a bulb with a higher wattage. This would only be done without the subjects of my films knowing. Otherwise, it's all natural lighting.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member oldasdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2003
    Posts
    362
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The only thing I may do is replace a bulb with a higher wattage. This would only be done without the subjects of my films knowing. Otherwise, it's all natural lighting.
    Kubrick used this technique in A Clockwork Orange.I would love to see some of your work,do you have any examples online?

  9. #9
    Inactive Member oldasdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2003
    Posts
    362
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The only thing I may do is replace a bulb with a higher wattage. This would only be done without the subjects of my films knowing. Otherwise, it's all natural lighting.
    Kubrick used this technique in A Clockwork Orange.I would love to see some of your work,do you have any examples online?

  10. #10
    Inactive Member rollemfilm's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 1st, 2000
    Posts
    437
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    No, nothing online. If you would like to view a
    video, we can work out an arragement. Email me
    from my web page:

    www.rollemfilm.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •