Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Lighting?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Dman83's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18th, 2001
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey all, I'm working as cinematographer on a short film which happens to have about 70% of it's shots outdoors, on location. I've been given a budget of roughly $500 for lighting and since this is the first time I'll be using 'professional' lights(I've always used household bulbs), I have no idea as to the resources available to me on this budget. I'm also unfamiliar with the problems associated with outdoor lighting. Any help would be much appreciated.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member The_Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18th, 2001
    Posts
    29
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    Hey, good luck.

    What you don't need is load of little tips and stuff.

    You need to get a basic grounding in lighting. Then it's all simple, and you can make own choices of how you want to set up.

    ------------------

  3. #3
    Inactive Member shirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7th, 2000
    Posts
    274
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    This might be silly, but...

    Do you have a light meter?

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Dman83's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18th, 2001
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for the tip, Case. :-) > I don't have a light meter, but I wasn't entirely sure I would need one since I'm filming on DV(which I should have mentioned.)

  5. #5
    Inactive Member machead's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 23rd, 2000
    Posts
    410
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    do you know anthing about colour temperature, basically if your mixing daylight and tungsten lights unless you use HMI lights or correct the your tungsten lights to daylight your lights will warm up the shot.
    Also shooting outdoors on a sunny day requires an exposure of f11@125 so you will require powerful lights (5k's minimum+generator) I don't think $500 is enough
    I would make up some silver reflectors and bounce sunshine back into your subjects cheap but alot more effective considering your budget

    ------------------
    MACHEAD
    http://www.apple.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •