Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: animation

  1. #1
    Inactive Member painter ass's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 12th, 2001
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    i have been writing several short scripts that I have been wanting to make into short animations. Does anyone know a cheap and easy way to get started into animation? Preferably computer based.

    Does anyone know of any good sites on animation and different techniques?

    can flash be converted to DV?

    I recently bought a cannon gl-1 (it is nice). and I would lke to be able to use it (i.e. put animations on minidv) and use live footage mixed with animation...

    any help is appreciated
    thanks
    -PA

  2. #2
    eddie
    Guest eddie's Avatar

    Post

    your best bet might be to make South Park type animations - film characters using the camera, capture these images and edit using something like Adobe Premier.

    dont know if thats any help

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Spoon boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 24th, 2000
    Posts
    309
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Ideasman's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 10th, 2001
    Posts
    19
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    animation is not really something
    that can be learnt with ease.
    Some people have got it, and some
    haven't.

    Your best bet is not to touch a
    computer, before you have mastered
    is either drawn or model based
    techniques.
    Note that this could take years or
    Deacades, and requires great dedication
    to reach the kind of standards that you
    might see in the average Disney film.

    Traditional techniques are better
    for learning timing and weight
    because they require a great deal more
    skill than CG animation (I.e. Every
    frame has to be manipulated manually)

    Taking up animation as a carreer is not
    something you can just go out there and
    "DO" sadly.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member andy_winton's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 1999
    Posts
    240
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ah ha,

    I say just do it.

    As spoon boy says Moho from lost marble
    is a good and easy way to start. I made
    a simple animation with this see -

    http://www.wintonfilms.co.uk

    Also, if you are on the MAC there is
    Toon Studio (there's a link at the apple
    site). I played with this, and it did
    appear to be quite good. Like moho but
    on speed.

    For 3D work, maybe start with any of the
    free stuff you get on computer arts mags,
    Brice, 4D, etc. If you have too much
    money get 3dstudio.

    If played with Povray (wouldn't recommend
    using this for animation, unless you are
    as mad as me), Blender www.blender.nl this
    is v. good for some 3D animation but not
    for character work, for character work
    try Animation Master www.hash.com.

    Oh, and get some animation books, there
    are lots, start with the Preston Blair
    book called cartoon animation, the
    techniques apply equally to 3D if you are
    not into 2D work.

    Thats about it, but just go ahead and
    play with them.

    I recommend getting a Wacom Pen tablet,
    the graphire is about 70 GBP which is
    excellent for all kinds of drawing work.

    Have fun,

    andy

  6. #6
    Inactive Member ilpostino's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 23rd, 2001
    Posts
    134
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Do you have a Mac or a PC? I'd go with a Mac but then that's what I use, however I know PC's are in general used more for 3D stuff. Like Andy says start off with the free programs and get a taste for it, if you get into it and you think you'd possibly like to do it for the rest of your life then you can spend your money on the big programs.

    I use imovie to edit, a couple of months ago I finished a corperate video, 1/3 of it was computer graphics created on Flash by a friend of mine. He exported the finished flash movies in Jpeg frames, I then imported them into imovie and gave them a frame count of 1 (naturally). Hey presto Flash animations in your edit program which can be exported to DV.

    I'll say this though the defult frame count of my program was 24 frames when importing files, so each imported Jpeg was set to 24 frames. I had to change over two thousand frames from 24 to 1 (bastard!) then little old imovie had problems playing 2000 frames so I had to export the film in four parts to DV then upload it again as four clips and stick it together so I could export it as one movie (bastard!).

    [This message has been edited by ilpostino (edited July 12, 2001).]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Kathy S's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 29th, 2001
    Posts
    304
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have the same camera as you but as far as I know you can't do animations on it- if you know how to- let us know,

    good luck with your animation

    Kathy

    PS WE got some stuff on flash onto premiere

  8. #8
    Inactive Member painter ass's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 12th, 2001
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    i have a g4 tower. it is about a year old now, 400mhz... I think it will be able to keep up to speed though. It blazes through photoshop and other graphics programs.

    thanks for all the info. I d/l'ed Moho last night (thanks to the winston films website), and I am probably going to start dicking around on it later.

    I have been trying to get into animation for a while, specifically claymation, but whenever I made something the story was really really bad. I have moved past my interest of claymation into more cartoonish animation. Now that I have a few scripts that I deem worthy of animating, i am really wanting to try and start. They are only 30-40 second animations.

    I talked to some dude at a spike and mike's festival a while back and he made his whole animation on the comp using some sofware (my guess Moho) and a PC. I hate PC's, macs are for me. He said that it took him a while to make the animation but overall it wasnt too hard. he also said he had not had much prior animating experience.

    anyway thanks aain for all of the useful animation information.

    peace
    -Painter's Ass

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Ideasman's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 10th, 2001
    Posts
    19
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Lightbulb

    Weeeeeeee!

    Lets all become animators right now!

    Weeeeeeee!

    ...and produce load of lame shat.

    Hohum.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member andy_winton's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 1999
    Posts
    240
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ideasman?

    Not completely constructive. huh?

    You can only learn by doing. Maybe
    the first few attempts will be 'lame',
    but so what?

    If you stick at something, eventually
    you'll master it.

    A todler trying to walk, takes time.

    First crawl, then walk, then run. We
    all have to learn, and most of the
    people on this group are here to do
    just that.

    I do believe that anyone can produce
    animation to the level of quality of
    Disney/Pixar without the hundreds of
    staff and millions of dollars they
    have.

    I think it can be done, and that
    is what keeps me focused. I'm no doubt
    quite far from that goal at the moment,
    but nothing a bit of time can't cure.

    Trying to be positive,

    andy

    PS: No flame wars pleese.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •