Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: editing

  1. #1
    Inactive Member norman-normal's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2001
    Posts
    18
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    how do you do it? I mean day after day after day after day of trying to get it right, and then technical problem after technical problem. It takes so much time! and all for what? For some half arsed 'its worth it in the end?' is it really?
    Is all the organising and self effacement, the time, effort and money, the hassle, the re-organising, the broken promises, the lack of money, not spending time with your girlfriend/wife, is it worth it?
    If so why?
    Can anyone supply a real reason and not a bullshit reason?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member mbankhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 25th, 2001
    Posts
    9
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    cause without it there would be no film.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member his Dudeness's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2001
    Posts
    89
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    What can I say? You need to be constantly evaluating the situation, at each stage.

    When you've finished writing the script - are you happy with it? If not, identify where and why you aren't, then rewrite.

    There's no point in going ahead until you're happy with the script. Get feedback from educated people whose opinion you value, and make improvements.

    Once the script is a film YOU would like to see on screen, start thinking about the practicals - locations, and most importantly actors. The wrong actor could destroy your carefully planned and written dialogue.

    Once the above are in place and you are happy with all elements, the actual shooting should be planned out in details, with shot lists that allow you to watch the film in your head before it exists.

    If all the above is done methodically, the editing should not be overly taxing.

    Do not rush though, because don't forget - Hollywood pros who do this for a living spend many months on each stage of the above. If you think you can whizz through each stage and end up with a quality product you're sadly mistaken. Film-making is hard at the best of times. Making a decent film is akin to climbing Mount Everest.

    I think it's called 'Natural Selection'.

    The last part is: don't give up!

    wink

  4. #4
    Inactive Member norman-normal's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2001
    Posts
    18
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    each stage is equally important to the other.
    Every single stage is important, mess one bit up and you mess up the whole thing.
    Strewth!
    Thanks for the support guys.
    At the end of the day I guess you are right. Without it there would be no film- thats kind of the bottom line, and no one in their right might tries to scale everest on their own.....

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member deanl's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2000
    Posts
    1,082
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I love editing. For me its the most enjoyable part of the filmmaking process. Putting all your little pieces together. Working with the dialog. Adding music and sound effects I love it. Actualy seeing your movie come alive infront of your eyes.

    It's Magic man Im telling you.

    Maybe editing is just not for you. Get some one else to chop your movie. Let them deal with it. Then let them hand you back your movie.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member marti-c's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 19th, 2000
    Posts
    298
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Editing to me is very similar to putting together a very difficult jigsaw puzzle. Th main problem is when do you stop. I believe that a project is never perfect but only abandoned at a certain time. The reason most projects look shit after editing is that they havent been shot with editing in mind.

    ALWAYS SHOOT TO EDIT
    marti

  7. #7
    Inactive Member ilpostino's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 23rd, 2001
    Posts
    134
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Because you love it, you know you do but it's hard, then if it was easy everyone would be doing it.

    I enjoy editing but I do turn into kind of a recluse whislt in edit mode. It's even harder when most of your family don't understand what your doing and there's a life style clash, but then moving out isn't an option at the moment. I moved back in to save money and give me a better chance at this so catch 22 man, one day one day...

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Curtin-Parloe's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2000
    Posts
    376
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I love editing! There's nothing like joining a load of clips, filmed at different times, together to make a single scene! I just wish I was good at it!

    The big thing was when I finished shooting. My wife said "did you enjoy your little hobby, dear?", and then I disappeared for 12 hours. When she saw the draft edit she was gobsmacked. "I didn't realise it would be any good!"

    Cheers

    Paul

  9. #9
    Inactive Member norman-normal's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2001
    Posts
    18
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    hmmm.......
    Im talking more like 12 months to edit.
    perhaps I really am mad after all.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Curtin-Parloe's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2000
    Posts
    376
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm the mad one - it's a 3 minute short. It was meant to be 5 minutes but I've made it a bit more zippy! I'm using a PC as well, so I don't have to get it all digitised (I do, but I use a camcorder and a capture card)
    If you're using an NLE, then once you've got it on the PC/AVID etc, it's a simple job to get a rough edit of a small amout, but getting it interesting is, well, interesting...
    The thing is I keep having to come at it from fresh, it's been about 2 months!

    Don't give up!

    Paul

    BAD EYE - Coming soon (I hope!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •