Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I was curious to know why Mike doesnt incorporate more of his solo work into Social D shows. Anyone know why?

I feel that Cheating at Solitaire is the second best record that Mike has ever done. It would be great to hear some of those songs at a Social D show. Ive also noticed that a lot of material from WLWHWT seems to get overlooked as well.

Not criticizing, just think curious to know why some of Mikes best material rarely gets played in concert these days.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I personally like Mike's solo work just as much -if not more- than Social D. It would be real nice to see him do another solo tour.

On another note, I'm glad to see them not cover WLWHWT as much in concert as they used to. Since that was the record where they got the most MTV airplay, I think for like 5 years they played the WLWHWT songs in concert far more than they played any from their other albums to please newer fans. I'm just so excited they are playing "Like an Outlaw again. Can't wait for the Cinci show!

Thy_Will_Not_Mine

Send Her Back was played a few times (London in '05, and other '05 shows I believe). But that is a cover, not a Ness original, so I can see why it was incorporated into the show. As for his original songs, I don't believe he's ever played them with Social Distortion. But then again, 3/5 of the current lineup were Mike Ness Band members.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ThyWillNotMine - You took the words out of my mouth! Social D. is 3/4th of the Mike Ness Band!! I agree that Ness should combine both in the same show for that simple reason. I'm also glad that they don't play that much off of WLWHWT too. They over played it on that tour way too much!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There are bands around who play all the songs from their latest released album on tour [img]rolleyes.gif[/img]
    Social D doesn't, because of the fans, that's allright. It's difficult to please the fans with that band/style/record history.

I think alot of the solo stuff was written for Social D, "I'm in love with my car" was played live by Social D. and part of the WLWHWT Demos. Yea, Social D should play some of the songs..

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Interesting question...

Some other variables to consider from those albums than others are a lot of different equipment are used like the pedal steel, gretsch, acoustic, and guest collaborations, etc. On the flipside, you can play it if you'd really want to or improvise. So, maybe another factor could be song flow.

I'm surprised a lot of people don't like WLWHWT, but it's cool. How boring if we're all the same. I thought the writing on that one is brilliant... a lot of intense imagery. WLWHWT-dark, despair, anger, lost. Cheatin'/Under-country, rockabilly, blues, going back to roots/reminisce... SLRR-brighter, upbeat, hope!

Very cool to see a progression in writing and outlook.

<font color="#FFFF00" size="1">[ May 23, 2007 04:03 PM: Message edited by: scuffed 8ball ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I remember the day i bought wlwhwt very clearly. I was walking to work and stopped by best buy because i knew that CD was going on sale that day....it must have been a tuesday! Anyways, i also bought the debut 311 CD that day too. But i didnt like it too much. Anyways, until that day, i had only heard "i was wrong" a few times on the radio because kroq was playing the advance copy on the radio for a few weeks prior to the release date. I got home that night about 1230 and put the CD in. I remember very clearly when the first couple bars of "dear lover" kicked in what an intense boner I had. God that CD kicked my ass for weeks because thats all i listened to. hard to believe thats about 10 years ago now.

steve

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by sandrenash:
    Can't wait for the Cinci show!
    <font size="2" face="verdana, arial">You and me both. For the first time I'm going to get to see two shows in a row, Cinci and Youngstown!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by KoF:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="verdana, arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="verdana, arial">Originally posted by sandrenash:
    Can't wait for the Cinci show!
    <font size="2" face="verdana, arial">You and me both. For the first time I'm going to get to see two shows in a row, Cinci and Youngstown!</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="verdana, arial">I'll see you there...maybe us midwesterners should meet up like the west coasters do!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

WLWHWT and Cheating at Solitaire are Mikes two best records, but he rarely ever plays songs from those two albums, wonder why.

I know White Light wasnt well received by all Social D fans, could never understand why. I dont think he will ever top that record, theres not one bad song.