Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: To all of the Christians out there....

Inactive Member two drink minimum's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Honestly, why do you hope we meet?

Are you going to bring one of those hand buzzer toys, and cream your pants with laughter?

I'll say hello, you'll say what's up and we'll never talk again. How much fun would that be?

Inactive Member two drink minimum's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What's creepier?

Run of the mill gay bar

or

Recovering junkie plays with children.

hmmm

Inactive Member Erica S. Is A Man's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey guys...

I'm all for the crazy fighting online but lets not get too crazy. I hope everyone knows not to take things to seriously.

On that note I want to bring up a point...

If you were stuck on an island by yourself with no knowledge of any religion (assuming you have some knowledge in science so you don't diefy a lightening bolt or any other otherwise unexplainable phenomena) would you create for yourself a God or higher being? I think at this point we come to a fundamental difference in PERSONALITY. In some way it is agreed that your genetics and the structure of your brain affect your behavior and understanding of things. Does this stucture, supposedly made by God, favor some individuals compared with others on seeking a higher power?

Does God like one who is born into a Christian family and with a brain seeking a higher power more than one who is born in the deep amazon with no knowledge of Christianity and a brain that doesn't seek a higher power? Why is the "test" easier for some and not others?

Each person is in some way the center of their own universe. One does not worry about how things are going in Africa if they're worried about a shitty boss here in America. Does one born here into a Christian family have a larger sense of entitlement? Of course they do! Why do you think that there are a number of white Christian males, who at the time dominate the happenings in America, who believe they are entitled in making decisions with God's will?

This is the root of the problem, this sense of entitlement. I think our problem goes beyond the religion itself, it's these assholes who think they they are better than everyone else. If stupid arabs are dying who gives a fuck? As long as it helps ME in my quest for wealth and power?

I really wish we could put religion aside and truly take a look at our Constitution and our Declaration of Independence. These are what exemplefy our only common beliefs, that all are created equal right?

Lets all remember that there is a much larger amount of time (about 3,500 years) of civilization that had no knowledge of the Christian religion than the 1900 years we have known about it. Lets also remember that every single faith pre-judaism (about 2,500 years worth of time) has been eraticated (this doesn't include the hundreds of faiths in the 1900 years of Christianity that have come and gone).

So if you want to be religious than great, do it, but don't do it on my time, don't go around and preach to everyone about it. When we are able to solve all of our problems in our country and in the world maybe then I'll better respect the audacity in people claiming they have all of the answers in our orgins. Please lets put this idea
    fucking aside and try fixing things here first.

Peace.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That was great ESIAM, I especially liked this part:

Originally posted by ESIAM
    If stupid arabs are dying who gives a fuck? As long as it helps ME in my quest for wealth and power
    [/QB]
    <font size="2" face="verdana, arial">This will now be my nightly prayer and my morning mantra. Thnx

AMEN!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

OWNAGE, just complete dominance. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Inactive Member recoveringpunker's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Mainliner - Sorry if I did not make it clear, I tried. Sometimes I get caught in some long post, and leave out a portion that would be helpful to my story.

Well, and again we are talking Biblical here, we clearly see a progression. From Gen. 1:1 "God created the heavens and...." to the Rev. 22:21 "The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen."

It's ONE story, ONE religion, ONE plan, ONE way. Due to the belief of, or non belief of Jesus, we (for sake of arguement) end up with TWO stories, TWO religions.

Now if we want to get into which is right, or Jeuss was or wasn't, then we have ourselves a matter of opinion and theological preference(s).

Again, speaking Biblicly about a Bible question, God had ONE plan.He created man, and that was that. Man sinned, and God had to create a method to reunite (if you will) man and God. The method was to create a law, to show man that there is no chance of just being good enough so that they could fully appreciate the Messiah as a savior. Then through that acceptance of the Messiah, man would have that bridge back to God.

That was the plan. From point A to point B.

Now you ended up with Jews that rejected that transition, and stayed at point A, never going to point B... or waiting for a different Messiah to go to point B with.

So clearly the Judaism traditions and practices came first, but it wasn't realy the religion God had in mind. Plus just as Christianity today is (in my opinion) practicly destroyed due to man's inability to stay out of the way, Jews had taken Judaism to a level of "better then" and used it against others.

If Jews had excepted Jesus, we would not have Judasim.

So maybe I am wrong in saying Judaism is "NEW." I should say that it branched off The Way at the coming of Jesus. It became independent in the "middle of the story."

But according to the Bible, and many people over look this, Jesus was not the start of something new, He was in the middle of something old. He was the natural progression of The Way.

Now people may have gave The Way a new name over a few hundred years, but that is the only thing NEW about it. It's still one story that starts at "In the begining God created....."

I hope I clarified that. If not I guess we can try again. Hopefully I can't bumble it up too many times.

Oh and Jesus was a Rabbi. Which means Teacher.

I am sure becoming a Rabbi was different then it is now. Now you have test, and you can't have a different idea about things. Not saying that Jesus was not a Rabbi or good enough, just that learning the Law and teaching on it (to my knowledge) is how you became or called a Rabbi/Teacher. But yes, Jesus would have acted and looked like a Jew. Head coverd, beard, etc.

Inactive Member A Real Musician's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Great sig, MainlinerFan.

Inactive Member recoveringpunker's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

To set aside religion and take a look at the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and Declaration of INdependence would be to be in a different frame of mind then the men (some) who wrote it.

I understand the idea of religion, where it came from from and how it has evolved into the mess it has today. I still its basic principals and what good it (on paper) stands for. I see non religios people and what they bring to the table, and the right to not be forced to go along with someone elses beliefs.

But to say to take a look at the Constitution and other documents, without religion, is ....retarded. The men who wrote were able to sit together with thier different beliefs, and write some pretty damn good ideas, rules, guidlines. But now today for some reason, everyone wants to divide so we can get to the bottom of it. WTF?

All I see is people who want it thier way, and have no room for compromise. Too bad.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by recoveringpunker:
    To set aside religion and take a look at the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and Declaration of INdependence would be to be in a different frame of mind then the men (some) who wrote it.
    <font size="2" face="verdana, arial">"As the government of the United States is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion,--as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquillity of Messelmen, --and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mohammedan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinion shall ever interupt the harmony existing betweenthe two countries"--Treaty of Tripoli in 1797, Article XI

"I wish it (Christianity) were more productive of good works ... I mean real good works ... not holy day keeping, sermon-hearing ... or making long prayers, filled with flatteries and compliments despised by wise men, and much less capable of pleasing the Deity." -- Benjamin Franklin , _Works_ Vol.VII, p.75

"Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legislative powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between church and State."--Thomas Jefferson to the Danbury Baptist Association on Jan. 1, 1802, _The_Writings_of_Thomas_Jefferson_Memorial_Edition _, edited by Lipscomb and Bergh, 1903-04, 16:281

"And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in showing that religion and Government will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together."--James Madison in a letter to Edward Livingston in 1822

"I consider the government of the United States as interdicted by the Constitution from intermeddling with religious institutions, their doctrines, discipline, or exercises."--Thomas Jefferson in a letter to Samuel Miller, 1808

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

And...

"Lighthouses are more helpful than churches."--Benjamin Franklin, _Poor_Richard_, 1758

"Who does not see that the same authority which can establish Christianity, in exclusion of all other religions, may establish with the same ease any particular sect of Christians, in exclusion of all other sects?" -- James Madison, _A_Memorial_ and_Remonstrance, addressed to the General Assembly of the Commonwealth of VA, 1795

Here's a clincher:

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical."--Thomas Jefferson, _Statute_for_Religious_Freedom_, 1779, _The_Papers_of_Thomas_Jefferson_, edited by Julron P. Boyd, 1950, 2:545