Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't see it as an issue of equality. I see it as an issue of right and wrong. It's not about equality at all. All people are equal. No doubt there. Gay people choose to be gay. Should I get new, special rights just because I choose to wear a red shirt? What's the difference it choosing to be gay. Gay people have the right to marry just like anyone else. They can marry people of a different gender. Now just because they choose not to and want something else doens't mean they're being discriminated against or not given equal rights.

As to the metaphor...it is not irrelevant. I'm saying that the color of the sky or the heat of the sun is something irrefutable and obvious...just like the Truths of most Christians.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 06, 2006 10:43 PM: Message edited by: Tra ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Tra, I don't think anyone in the government, regardless of political affiliation, is questioning the color of the sky. It's an irrelevant metaphor.

The issue of marriage equality? I'll grant that it is a grey area. To me, it's perfectly clear that marriage is a right and the 14th Amendment prohibits the creation of a 2nd class of citizens- hence, any adult should be able to get married.

To you, marriage equality violates a fundamental tenet of your faith. It's perfectly clear to you that marriage equality is unethical.

This appears to be a black/white issue- but it's not, because not everyone shares the same value system. As much as I would like you to espouse the same values of civic and secular equality as I do and as much as you would like me to espouse your Christian values: we don't.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This topic is really no longer relevant because AG ended their affiliation with GirlsInc shortly after Christmas last year. Since there have been no new posts on the topic, I will de-sticky it now. If you want to say more on abortion/homosexuality please start a new thread. I am going to close this one because the topic is no longer relevant.

Thanks!
    Tra

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456