Thread: Bklyn Chambers B not for us but ENAMEL perfect & its Almost FREE...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy

Hi, everybody,

I thought I was bringing home my Chambers highback Model B but alas, while a truly devoted person with lots of $ for restoration could have saved her, she was in too sad a shape for us to undertake it.

However, if anybody here is looking for a perfect enamel B body and backsplash for under $100 and perhaps free (the morning after we declined to take it, the seller called saying we could have it for nothing), then make haste to contact [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]

(When I say this stove has perfect enamel, I am not including the bonnet, or cover).

We have now really driven many miles to see an awful lot of stoves that just weren't for us, to the point where I really feel I have to change my primary criteria from getting a highback Model B with good enamel to any 40s or 50s model that has never been out of use or at least has never been stored outside (although an attached garage should be okay, right?)

I want to thank all of you for all your help in our hunt, especially Tura and Todd.

Best, Amy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[img]redface.gif[/img] You guys are embarrassin' me - I didn't do anything special. It's really rather fun going on the Stove Hunt with others without having to actually buy or store the stove myself.

Brass, are you aware of the special qualities of the BZ? If we can get Gyrin to sing it's praises, you'll probably decide that only a BZ will do!

t.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks so much for the encouragement! I would absolutely adore finding the right Silverlite and if at that point our financials look a lot different I'd have no problem justifying transport.

It cost me nearly $500 US to get a pewter mirror I paid $32 for on eBay shipped from England years ago and I want this B a lot more

Actually, I'm baffled that so few people do have them shipped, after seeing some pristine beauties in the $200-$300 that supposedly function perfectly.

Over the long haul, without even considering time spent, it's clearly thriftier than a prolonged restoration.

I'm sure shipping charges are a distant memory when that heart's delight stove is hooked up in your kitchen. Congrats on your Silverlite!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wink

The high back BZ is indisputably at the top of the food chain, I agree!

all those vaunted C improvements, no little squidgy backsplash. what more could you want?

Nevertheless I'll be very happy to land any Silverlite, as I don't currently have a stove that works and so may have to settle for the next Chambers that does.

However, I will never change my allegiance.

Even married people are permitted an occasional sigh over the one that got away -- and we're not quite that close to our respective stoves, are we?

After all, the Silverlite is the Elvis of Appliances! Anybody who can't see that doesn't have eyes.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If your circumstances permit, patience may still reward you. I put a few miles on my car driving to some fairly distant points to see stoves that weren't for me. It took about 5 months to find a BZ that was naturally located in the Chambers stove mother lode (Texas). It cost a fair amount to get it to California. Tura helped me immeasurably too. It was interesting to watch ebay after successfully acquiring Opal because often there would be no BZ's offered for months, but suddenly two would appear. You may find the same thing happens to you. Just when you least expect it the Chambers stove with your name on it will become available. Good luck!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Brasscupcakes,

I have a Silverlite, 15-B sitting in my basement in east Tennessee that I'll probably end up selling. We purchased it about two months ago from my wife's step-mother-in-law's 99 yr. old mother.

She bought it new, but hadn't used it for several years (I'm not sure how many), but it had been sitting nice-and-dry in her basement since she retired it.

From the looks of it, she kept a pretty neat kitchen. The top does have a little surface rust, so you may need to have it re-chromed. Otherwise, everything (including the timer and spice shelves and light fixtures) is there and seems to work.

Unfortunately, we didn't realize the difficulty in converting a B over to propane before we bought it. So, a month ago, I bought a C off of eBay that should be more easily converted.

I hate to get rid of it, because I really prefer the looks of the 15-B, but our new highback C is growing on me.

If you'd like some photos, I'd be happy to send them.

Jack

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Brasscupcakes,

Don't dispare. I might be able to assist you in your search. I live in Bayside, New York (Queens) and pass up many chambers at tag sales. In fact I found my last chambers at a tag sale a Model B in perfect condition. She looked like no one ever cooked on her. I got her for a song. Email me off line and we can talk. They're tag sales every weekend and some on weekdays all over NY and Long Island.

Treatmaker