Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So is Jack the Ripper Oscar? He's been acting straaange. [img]graemlins/hmmm.gif[/img]
    and i took the cain test...
    1052669892 rriweather
    You're Merriweather! Congratulations, you're the
    cute and happy Hargreaves daughter. Although
    you've had a rough childhood, it seems you got
    over it kinda quickly. Though you anger
    easily, you're not one to hold grudges. You
    seem to disregard the past and live in the
    present, which is probably the best way to go.
    Even though you're a child, you have a strong
    nurturing instinct which enables you to care
    deeply for the ones you love. ...But because
    you care, you're not afraid to take advantage
    of them once in a while. It's not because
    you're mean or selfish, though - you're just a
    kid.

i'm eighteen!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    KYAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! You took my test o^_^o Sucked, didn't it? XD Oh well. I keep getting Riff...unless I blatantly avoid Riff answers. Then I get Jezebel. ...But it's hard to honestly take your own quiz... ^^;;

...What about that Clarence Nash fellow? I think HE'S Jack the Ripper...of sorts...? Actually, I have no idea. This story arc is the one where I've stayed away from spoilers simply because I'm reading it right now... It's probably Jezebel or someone.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I love your translations more than Crisis ones. I think they come nearer to the right style for this time. And it is fluently to read. I have no problems despite my english is not the best. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

is sitting here thinking.....there are different translator styles @[email protected] moly lol i dont pay attention. I only notice when its really formal like sir and madame etc...oh well i think everyone does a great job...because even if its not exactly what the japaneese or chineese text says...its close enough and you can understand it anyway. Besides you all have a talent that most of us dont have...or maybe abilty whatever..

good job!!^_^

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm in the same boat as you Jadey ^^;;

I also noticed the formal part too

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

All I can say is:

Mwahahahahaaaaa! ^____^

(yes, I know how it ends, but I never ever let myself give out spoilers... ^^;;...)

By the way, for native and non-native English speakers both: what did you think of the diction I was using in the book 2 translations? I was trying hard to hit a balance between:
    --literal
    --sounds like Victorian diction
    --sounds like the character would say it
    and
    --is clear and easy to read

and I have a feeling I may have erred more on the side of the first three than the last one... ^^;;; (people generally complain about my use of convoluted sentence structures just when I'm talking, let alone writing -- but on the other hand Kaori Yuki tends to use even more convoluted sentence structures than I do, so it's something of an "accuracy to the feel of the original" issue too...)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

@Risu-chan: I noticed the difference in just Riff's speech with him saying "my lord" and "sir." I didn't really notice him saying that before until Erin French got me noticing speech patterns...but I probably wasn't paying attention. It seems like it's the appropriate usage for a servant. As for everyone else, I couldn't really tell the difference ^^;; It does seem a bit more Victorian than before, though.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That's one of the frustrating things about translating into English actually -- the Japanese language is built so that literally every sentence out of a speaker's mouth conveys a whole lot of information about how the speaker views himself, the person to whom he's speaking, and the person he's speaking about.

English just doesn't have that equivalent built into it -- it's one of the things that made the Declaration of Independence possible to be imagined in English; I believe it literally could not have been conceived of in Japanese if it hadn't been written in English first.

But anyway, the closest I could come to Riff's level of speaking (the most precisely formal of any of Kaori Yuki's Cain characters, and specifically placing himself in a position where he's directing that level of politeness *to Cain*) was to try to tuck in referential terms. Japanese uses references to people's names a lot more often than English does, and places where Riff was saying "Cain-sama" would have sounded pretty peculiar if translated into third-person English (we don't generally use third person when talking directly to somebody). So I swapped in the titles to try to make it read more smoothly...

okay, end of new-translator ramble for a bit. ^^;;; Just wanted a sanity check since this is the first chapter I've done that folks have gotten to see...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

(Ahem) Now, class, today's object lesson is:

Yuki Kaori is an enthusiastic sadist who takes almost as much vindictive pleasure in dropping in Cliffhangers from Hell as I do in watching people writhe in agony upon having one of her cliffhangers inflicted on them!

Today's 'How to be an anime/manga character' practice item is the Evil Hosebeast Laugh. Put the back of your hand over your mouth and repeat after me:

Mwa ha ha ha haaaaa!

^___~

Back to installing computer...