Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Red face

I am not sure I am getting detonation- it sounds like a static or more like pouring sand in tincan with force at 10 vaccuum. I was wondering what can be done to eliminate that. Running 8 timing on 92 gas with bkr7e gappped to .033" which seem white/light gray and slightly overheated but it probably due to the detonation. Idle/static/max 49/65/92. Also have the GSS-342 pump. Any piggybacks suggestions that would cure it are welcomed as well(no money for standalone yet).

Thanx in advance!!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

your fp / timing seem pretty conservative , but every car likes a slightly diffrent diet . white plugs or white spots on them is most likely an indication of a lean situation . the sound of sand blasting a tin can is most likely minor detnation . try stepping up the static fp a little at a time testing with real time driving . if by 68 0r 70psi the noise is still present i would try out the map signal mod . i dont know if it will cure leaning out on top for shure , but the map mod is the most cost effective engine management add on ive used .

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You shouldn't be getting detonation with your settings. Things you could try:

- Gap plugs to.038. Your gap is pretty small.

- Use a carbon deposit cleaner gas additive. Maybe your pistons are really coated and causing hotspots or raised compression.

- Look up the instructions for the TPS Hack/Mod and consider doing it. With that mod on my car at 6psi boost and 8 degrees timing, I couldn't get detonation no matter how stupid I drove.

What FPR/FMU(s) are you using?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Im using the JR FMU with stock GSR injectors. Holden, so the gap is too small?? I always thought that the smaller gap is like a batch for untunned cars to prevent detonation...

Anybody else?

Senior Hostboard Member rjaffey's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

A smaller gap is to keep the spark from "blowing out" under the harsher conditions present in your FI application. Too small a gap can lead to audible ping, but I think that in this case the ping is caused by preignition, not detonation.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

On top of all the other good suggestions. Maybee your injectors need cleaning, do all the plugs look the same? Set your valves at .004/.005. Go with a catch can or and open breather for crankcase and valve cover.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

did this sound just appear or has it been presant all along ? i have a kinda whirling hiss above ~5000 rpm . ive attributed this sound to the air intake because when i remove the top on the filter box it is amplified . for a while i thought this whirling sound might be detnation , but a crappy tank of gas and my first taste of real detnation convinced me otherwise . holden is right about your settings being really consevative for detnation to occur . is your intake and exhaust aftermarket ?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes they are aftermarket Greddy EVo and Iceman shortram. I just pulled the plugs too....Not too good. THey are white as HELL!!! I think I might have clogged injectors due to the fact changing the static fuel didnt do any good to get them brownish....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ok here i found some pictures of plugs that look like mine( I hope whoever it is dont mind me using them) and they look like this. Spark plug one is hte closest to the distrubitor and the 2-4 plugs look about the same. Here is the link

plugs

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hard to tell much from those pictures. Detonation will show up on your spark plugs as shiny/silvery spots (melted pieces of the piston actually!).

Regane might work. I used to rave about it, because I thought it richened the mixture, but it turns out it just fools the O2 sensor while it's present.

My money says you aren't getting detonation. It's some other noise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast