Thread: Our Infield for 2003, ONE GIANT STEP BACKWARDS...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Omar, Blake, and a second base vet...

Is that rebuilding the infield? Strong pitching alone won't do it. It didn't work for the Los Angeles Dodgers this past season. The Dodgers had the best pitching and lowest ERA in either league by almost half a run, yet they had the weakest up the middle offense in either league, and as a result, missed the playoffs.

While Bradley in center and Omar at short might not be that bad, the problem is Coco CANNOT play a corner outfield position.

Are we really sure that Blake or Coco can't play second, that Martinez can't play third, are we really sure?

When Coco gets on base, the offense seems to run smoother. I'd really like to see if Coco or Blake can play second, and find a place besides first and catcher for Victor Martinez.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Once again Alex:

Coco has not played second since the low minors. If you want Coco to become a second baseman you basically have to send him down to Akron to have him learn the position all over again. And rediscover why the Cardinals moved him from second years ago anyhow.....

And if Blake has any experience at all it was no doubt in an extra inning game where the Twins ran out of second basemen to begin with....

And Martinez has never played third at any level of professional baseball. Heck I doubt that he has played it even in winter ball.

So to answer your question: Yes.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 09, 2003 08:55 AM: Message edited by: The Crank ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You can learn a position by practicing that position several hours a day. When Michael Jordan tried to become a baseball player his big mistake was he couldn't cram enough playing time by playing on a team. Jordan needed to pay his own set of players and play games where he hit every inning and had the ball hit his way every inning.

Crisp, Martinez, and Blake should undergo intensive training over the course of a few weeks to see if they can hack it.

Blake should be every bit as good as some of the second base free-agents. Fielding Blake at third, Omar at short and a vet second basemen will be a step backward this coming season.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Fielding Blake at third, Omar at short, and whomever at second is what it is - place holders until Phillips, Peralta, Smith/Whitney or whomever can take over.....

TastinGood

Our Infield for 2003, ON....
    <font size="3" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">When did you make the team, Alex?

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 20, 2003 02:26 AM: Message edited by: TastinGood ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I can't find where you took the quote from.

Anyway, it says I'm the manager by my avatar. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I just can't see Belliard being an overall improvement over Casey Blake at second. The Belliard signing could be 400-500 lost at bats for our second year players, sheesh.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Belliard will do better than Phillips at second. Who in the organization would you rather see at second (assuming Crisp and Blake won't play there because management won't take the chance to let them)?

In my opinion, Peralta and Phillips are not ready. McDonald is still a sub. Gutierrez would be better than Belliard if he's recovered. But that's a big if.

So, if Crisp isn't going to play second, there is no second year player ready to take over yet.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Alex:
    Omar, Blake, and a second base vet...
    <font size="3" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Boy did you hit that nail on the head.

Compare that to a possible .315-.320 hitter at third, Omar at short, and a league leading offensive 2nd baseman named Casey Blake.

To me there is no comparison. I just can't believe the Indians are a better team with a horrific RBI person at a power position, (Casey Blake) who can't hit for average, has a terrible OBP, and average power. Yet for a second baseman, his numbers would rock.

Remember, Casey Blake got RBI's in one out of every 4 games he played. RBI'ing in only one out of 4 games, when you play a corner position, is so
    awful it defies defending. Probably among the WORST RBI numbers of any major leaguer in the A.L.