Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hello from Denver and new to me Milano's

Hey Folks,
    This is my first post. I am pretty active over at audiokarma though.
    I have loved music all my life, probably my first love as a young child. I bought my first stereo console when I was ten years old - I used money I had saved shoveling walks and mowing lawns. It was a grundig majestic tubed unit. That was in 1974.

Today I am a dad of twin autistic boys, been married 21 years, and am disabled(MS). I still love music, maybe more now than ever. I have a background as an industrial maintenance technician.
    My current hobbies are fishing, building tube amps, and music.

Today I happened to look on craigs list and searched for altec. I found an estate sale that had been running since Friday. It listed a pair of old walnut "altec lansigining? speakers. I thought for sure they would be gone.

I drove over and to my suprise, they were still there. I thought they might have been valencia's but I have been told they are Milano's. Also, next tothe speaekrs was a matching Altec console - unfortunately the inards were removed before I got there.

Since this is my first post, I obviously do not know how to navigate this site yet. I will try and post pics.

Does anyone know what components would have gone into this console?

Also, can anyone give me feedback as to how these milano's would sound if I changed out the crossover to the Z19 crossover? I am curretnly buildin a set - I had intended to put them into a 1235c system.

One last thing, my MS has caused me a lot of problems, one of hte most annoying is my typing skills are shot. Please bear with me as I plug through my posts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Hostboard Member
    Hello from Denver and new to me Milano's

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Re: Hello from Denver and new to me Milano's

The console came empty you filled yourself AFAIK

Owned one back in the 70's with a Fisher tube receiver and Dual table.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Excellent find Buddy. They look very clean and pretty. Welcome to the club.

Senior Hostboard Member zelgall's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have no idea why everyone on audiokarma wants to put a Z19 cross over in every box they see and think that it will not only work but be an improvement as well. If there was such a thing as a universal cross over there wouldn't be a different version in every model from every manufacturer, Altec included. Zilch was a smart guy and was always ready to help but I don't think he would advocate tossing the same design in every speaker regardless of configuration or crossover point.
    Congrats on the Milanos. Replace the Caps, if they need it and just listen to some music.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Z19? Got thread links?

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zelgall View Post
    I have no idea why everyone on audiokarma wants to put a Z19 cross over in every box they see and think that it will not only work but be an improvement as well. If there was such a thing as a universal cross over there wouldn't be a different version in every model from every manufacturer, Altec included. Zilch was a smart guy and was always ready to help but I don't think he would advocate tossing the same design in every speaker regardless of configuration or crossover point.
    Congrats on the Milanos. Replace the Caps, if they need it and just listen to some music.
    Man, you shoulda heard em boo and hiss when i very gently made a similar yet tasteful and polite comment there. My comments were referred to as "off color", and i was accused of having heard neither Z19's or model 19's. They sure can be entertaining bunch, and sometimes keep me in stitches for hours. There may be an epidemic of cranial rectitis going around

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Z19? Got thread links?

GM
    You'll need a beverage and a snack: Z19 Crossover - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Senior Hostboard Member westend9's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think the OP may have been building the Z19 crossover for another application and bought the Milano's sans crossover networks. He just wants to use the crossover as that is what he has at hand. Z19 Crossover - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums has information from Zilch about the crossover and has a link to the longer thread at LH about it's development.
    Edit: Heh, Bowtie beat me while I was typing.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

I almost forgot the most important part of this thread................. Welcome Mark!!!

Glad to see Mark(JCricket) here. He'll bring to the table a level of enthusiasm that is both refreshing and inspiring, and he's just plain darn good people!

Senior Hostboard Member zelgall's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    Man, you shoulda heard em boo and hiss when i very gently made a similar yet tasteful and polite comment there. My comments were referred to as "off color", and i was accused of having heard neither Z19's or model 19's. They sure can be entertaining bunch, and sometimes keep me in stitches for hours. There may be an epidemic of cranial rectitis going around
    I'm glad it was you they were talking about. I thought it was my regular posts about keeping the Altec xovers instead of replacing.
    Kyle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast