Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Model 19 cabinet build - 2 sets

I currently have a set of Model 19's and love them so much I decided to buy another set of speaker componets and build myself a set of cabinets. I've built the Z19 Crossover for the current pair that I have and thought that this would be a good project for me to start on.

I ran across another local AUDIOKARMA guy (Brad) who also had the components and needed a set of Model 19 cabinets. I've got the wood working experiece, and expertise to build them but I needed an extra set of muscle to help in cutting the wood and I thought it would be a great experience so got together and started the projects. We've had a lot of fun doing this project and enjoying have a beer with Brad and creating these cabinets.

Here's the game plan:

Use MDF and finish with vener.
    Use black vinyl covering for top front cabinet. Paint surrounding trim black
    Build to spec - original Model 19 cabinets
    Glue, nail and screw all pieces ( for 4 cabinets -70 pieces of wood that needed to be cut glued, nailed and screwed)
    Build Z19 xover - install in original Xover cutout
    Use foam inserts
    Rollers on the bottom
    Speaker connectors on the back (not on the bottom - per original specs)
    Install Grills
    Total expected cost is approximately $520 per pair. Not including Vener.

We should be finishing up here in the next week or so. Cabinets are almost done and I already started on the crossovers. Here are some pictures for your pleasure:

Brad is using 416 A's (rear mounting requried) and I'm using 416 B's which use front mounting. That's why the sets look a little different in these next pictures.

A picture of the team after 5 hours of work last Saturday.

More data to follow

Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Model 19 cabinet build - 2 sets

Looks like fun guys. Enjoy.

Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Those are real beauties--nice job! What components are you using--alnico or ferrite? Brand new GPA or vintage Altec? Have you compared the Z19 to the original Model 19 crossover? Any comments as to audible differences or differences in how the two eq pots operate/interact with each other/affect the sound? Is the top (horn) compartment bolted to the bottom or is it permanently glued and screwed? Also, what are you doing for bracing?
    Being of "Sound" Mind

Senior Hostboard Member mattvandyke's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

All of the equipment that we're using in Alnico. 416a's, 416b's and 802-g's for the horn.

I've build a set of Z19's for the current set of 19's that I have. They took a while to break in but I like the sound enough to not have installed the orginal one's back in. The difference (to me) is not as dramatic as others felt but very slightly better. I've got some new hardware (mcintosh mc60's) and need to reinstall the orginals to see how they sound with the new amp.

The top horn is bolted to the bottom. Doing that per original specs.

For bracing, I've not done anything special as I'm building these per their original specs. I did add some additional backing blocks behind the front and back of the bottom cabinet for additional stabilization but nothing else.

Any recommendations on adding additional bracing would be appreciated.

Senior Hostboard Member badtoby's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nice work Matt. You make it look easy. If I only had your skills. How much time do you have in them? If you don't mind me asking, what do you thank your cost will be when your done?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Probably 20 hours per person to date. Another 2-3 hours on cabinets and then I expect 4-6 hours total on the crossovers. Probably 30+ hours for me and another 25 for Brad. There was also some additional time in reviewing specs, etc.

Pricing - Cabinets, grills and xovers - $520. Vener (just bought 2 pieces of nice oak vener (4X8) for $140). 416b's I paid around $300 (new cones) and the 802-8g's were $250. Looks like the total will be $1210 for my set. All speaker componets are in excellent conditions.

Brad got a better buy on his 416a's so his pricing will be a little less than mine.

Enjoying the project with Brad and looking forward to having them complete here in another week or so.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

I used to have a pair of 802-8G drivers. Now I have a fast Corvette.

I'm wondering why you didn't take the opportunity to mirror image the ports? That seemed to be something Altec could have done since these were sold in pairs.

Bracing is easy with 1x1's glued and screwed diagonally on the inside of the sides. The backs can be braced on the outside as can the bottom. Well, if you were using original looking bases. You have wheels so bracing could go on the inside. Of course bracing uses up a bit of the interior volume.

Another thing I did on mine when I worked them over was to use 3/8" bolts for the top, and added 2 from original. As well as used thin weather stripping between the parts. The original cabs were quite "leaky" in those areas.

Ron
    Enjoying Altec Speakers since 1972

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Cool Re: Model 19 cabinet build - 2 sets

Thanks Ron for selling me the 802-8G's & the 416's - you rock. Are you saying you take them back for the vett?

Never thought of mirror imaging the port holes - good idea. Internal bracing might be an potential issue with the woofer and xover network (Z19 is longer than standard 19 xover). Once I get the componets installed, I'll install the back last and see what I might be able to do. I will caulk all of the pieces of wood and have some weather stripping that I was going to use on the 811b's.

The tops will be connected with 2 4 inch 3/8 bolts - are you recommending to install 4 instead of 2? Might be a good idea.

The bottom base and casters will be installed tonight.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

I think I'll hang onto the Vette, it is very fun to drive.

I used 6 bolts. So added 2 ea front side and back side. Maybe overkill. But the factory 2 bolts made no sense to me.
    Your MDF might not need side bracing. The back yes, but as i said, you can do that on the outside with nicely cut 2x4's.
    Give em the knuckle rap test! Thud is good, bonk is bad.

Good looking cabs, nice job!
    Last edited by RonSSS; October 4th, 2012 at 01:31 AM.
    Enjoying Altec Speakers since 1972

Senior Hostboard Member zelgall's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I did the same with the extra bolts. If you hold a flashlight inside of the originals, you can see the beam clearly through the gaps between the top and bottom boxes. I put a bead of caulking around the joints as I don't plan to disassemble mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast