Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Re: Model 19 cabinet build - 2 sets

Here are a couple of additional pictures. We installed Brads 416a's as they are back mounted and now was the time to do it before we installed the front piece.

The bases are 17X26 and are centered in the bottom. I got the coasters (2.5 inch height) at Harbor Freight and they cover the 2 inch base perfectly. Glad to have them on as now they are easier to move.

Here are pictures of the backs and the bi-amp speaker connections.

I counted the number of screws per speaker (all counter sunk) - a total of 82 per speaker.

Working on crossovers today (one is complete) and then we start the vener process.

Senior Hostboard Member
    Model 19 cabinet build - 2 sets

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

This is fantastic work. I Would love to be a part of such a construction project...
    - Mike

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi,
    Very good job.

St?phane
    Onken 360 (GPA 515-8C) + JBL 3732 M/HF + JBL 2402H
    LDA WT2 DIY (GPA 515-8G + GPA 399-8A + WESTREX Acoustilens)
    ATC SCM 11

HB Super Moderator

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Very Nice work !!

Senior Hostboard Member mattvandyke's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

I was out of town last week but did make some progress last night. I did finally complete all of the xovers and got them installed temporarily to make sure that they work.

I did have an initial problem as I forgot one of the ground wires. Additionally hooking up the xover structure (lpads, L brackets, wood, connectors etc.) took a little longer than I thought. A couple of beers and some tunes in the background helped the process go smoothly.

Brad is using a pair of 16 ohms 416a woofers on his speakers so the crossover was a little different for him.

Here is a picture of the two different xover networks completed.

Brad completed the internal wiring last week so I was able to install all of the crossovers last night and they all worked perfectly. Here's a picture of them being broke in as I've been running them all night long.

Brad is going to use a black front and I'm going to use veneer for the front. We both should be starting the veneer process in the next couple of days.

The building is over and now the final finishes need to be completed. I'm going to document the construction of the Z19 supporting hardware a little more as I think that I've got a decent process down and it may help others on their Z19 build.

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Very clean XO work.
    Are you dampening the horns?
    Impressive build - wish I could come by for a cold one and a sound check!
    - Mike

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

I sprayed some rubberized paint on the horns and they sound "deader" than before. I will also insert some foam surrounds around the horns to help.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Will be interesting when you get both sets done for comparrisons. I'm betting those 802-8G drivers have the bug screens removed....someone told me that.

I'm not keen on breaking things in, but am wondering how you are doing it? Pink noise? Music?

I personally think damping the horns even more is beneficial. Something to consider for later. I also really like mine with the center dividers removed, but it takes balls to try! Ok, well not really, but you can't go back once done.

What are the claimed improvements with these crossovers? I have heard of them, but never studied the details.

You are doing very nice work, keep it up guys!

ron
    Enjoying Altec Speakers since 1972

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

It's been a couple of weeks since we posted last and we getting closer to the finish.

All of the Z19 crossovers have been installed and tested and they are working out just fine.

We decide to build the 811b foam surrounds. I was able to duplicate a pair that I purchased from the web. I ended up going to JoAnne (fabric and linens) and buying some 2 inch foam. I ended up cutting it all with a electric carving knife and it worked out pretty good. Total cost $22 versus $120 for 2 sets. It took a lot of paint to cover them but here's a shot of one set. They are actually a lot straighter than they look in the picture.

I'm ending up veneering my speakers and Brad is veneering a portion and painting the front and back. I'm using quarter sawn red oak for this project. The veneering project hit a little bit of a road bump as I was using a method of gluing the pieces individually, letting the glue dry and then ironing the pieces together. This provides some flexibility in reposition the pieces if required. I was about 1/2 done with my set and called it a day. They looked good but I was concerned that they would not stick. I went out the next morning and was able to pull all of the pieces off. I don't think that I used enough glue.

I was done with this process and moved to using contact cement - all went fine after that. Some additional sanding, plenty of trimming and making sure that it all fit together as perfect as possible.

The staining is complete (with my speakers - Brad will do his this weekend). I've started the clear coat process using a wipe on urethane and have two more coats to finish.

After that it's speaker grill installation and then we should be done.

It kind of a dream come true to create a set of Model 19's from scratch. It's been a good learning experience and I've enjoyed my time with Brad, having a beer, smelling saw dust and making a piece of art (I hope).

Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow--amazing work Matt! I'm looking forward to your listening impressions once you have everything finished and installed. I'd also love to hear the results of an A/B comparison between your factory Model 19's and your new custom built pair-including any audible difference between the Altec crossovers and the Z 19's/any comments as to audible differences in how the two eq pots operate/interact with each other/affect the sound? According to Zilch, his design allowed the two pots to operate more independently of each other i.e. moving the mid pot supposedly has less effect on the highs than with N1201-8A's...
    Last edited by voice of the theater; October 23rd, 2012 at 09:32 AM.
    Being of "Sound" Mind

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12