Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Yeah, I saw the article and Pete sent me a copy of the plans. I am not sure whether or not to do that version, or a somewhat simpler build using 1" ply instead, with less bracing. Serious Stereo does this sort of thing.

Apples or oranges....hmmm.

Senior Hostboard Member DaveCan's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I thought the 6moons cab was a build close to the Serious cab? Wasn't the Serious cab the one that inspired the 6moons build? In any event I'm sure the cab you end up with will be really impressive and sound great. GM talked about a corner loaded cab that sounded real interesting..
    Dave forums

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It's worth noting that both the Serious Stereo and "6 Moons" cabs were adaptations of GM's design advice, actually compromises based on size and footprint limits. It's also worth noting that neither credits him as such, although the 6 moons story includes some of GM's correspondence.

Dave

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by selmerdave:
    ...It's also worth noting that neither credits him as such, although the 6 moons story includes some of GM's correspondence...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's a drag. Pretty sure they're not the first to do such either. Unlike most of us, GM actually works at his replies, performing simulations, calculations (many of which are beyond the ability and understanding of those being helped), and applying his signifigant real-life experience to the result. Anyone that takes credit for his (or others) such work without so much as a thank you is lower than a grease spot a dog licks off the street.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Dave...
    Sometimes I can be so clued out I wonder how I get by. I didn't put it together about GM and that design, even though I mentioned it to him at one time I think.. I kind of feel a bit ashamed about all that now, sorry GM... I also would like to add I will not be purchasing those plans, or be doing that build when my time comes....

Dave forums

<font color="#FFFFFF"><font size="1">[ November 28, 2008 01:18 PM: Message edited by: DaveCan ]</font></font>

<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ November 28, 2008 01:30 PM: Message edited by: DaveCan ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Originally posted by DaveCan:

Have you seen the 604 build that was done at 6moons? The plans are available for those for like $25.00 I think.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hmm, I'm a bit confused about these cabs and haven't talked to Jay about his Vs these other two cabs, but AFAIK Jay's drawing of the one I helped him with is free for the asking and as long as it's placed near/at a wall and either if driven with a high output impedance amp as he did or use some form of baffle step compensation (BSC) it should sound tonally balanced down to ~Fs once the HF horn is shelved to match.

GM

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Maybe they're not the same then? I emailed Stephaen at 6-moons and he replied back that he's still enjoying the cabs and they are not going anywhere(the cabs in the article at 6-moons) He said that Pete Riggle has put together a nice package to build those cabs, with a hard copy,instructions, charts, and commentary for $25.00 to his PayPal account..

Dave forums

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow.

Dave

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Here's my exact email to Stephaen if this will help clear things up??

Hi there,
    Just wondering if there are any plans available for the Altec build you did, or if they are private etc? I'm still trying to figure out if I should get the new 604III version or give the 12'' 212 a try.. How are your 604's sounding these days?
    Thanks,
    Dave..

Hi Dave,
    I am pretty much thrilled with my 604s. Still here and not going anywhere!

Pete has put together a nice packet (hard copy) of plans,instructions,charts, and commentary for people looking to build their own. He will send it out via USPS for mere beer money ($25) at your request and a deposit to his PayPal account. I've copied him on this reply to you.
    Good Luck!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

I don't know, we need to get Jay's thoughts about all this. If I had to guess, these two are variants of Jay's speakers, which to my way of thinking still makes them mine in that I did all the basic design work, ergo not any part of the design is to be used for profit in any way. There are designs floating around that I was paid for up front, ergo are the sole property of those various folks, but Jay's isn't one of them.

Don't know who Pete Riggle is or recall ever 'hearing' this name.

Regardless, to my way of thinking a DIYer would want a design optimized for their system, room, so as long as they can get by without detailed drawings and it will be used for personal use only and if sold is only for actual material costs, then I can do cab only designs with little effort, though my current lifestyle is unfortunately such that I have little quality time that I'm willing to devote to doing them, so typically have a long backlog since there's always plenty of 'work' when you don't charge much for it.

WRT the latter, I typically ask that they donate a little something to one forum or another, so as in following the 'personal use only' request, it's a 'let your conscience be your guide' kind of thing.

GM