Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

GM, I would just like to add that I'm sorry if my inquires have maybe opened up some old wounds. I don't know any of these people other than to send an email or read their writings, and certainly didn't know about all the history.. I've had a lot of time lately to sit at the computer and research and gain info on different items I'm interested in.. As far as audio goes I've gone from thinking about Lowther, Fostex, Feastrex, AER etc., and have come to the conclusion that the 604 or 212 will be the way to go for me, and so thats why I'm here.... Dave forums

Senior Hostboard Member DaveCan's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Rather than start a new thread perhaps I can ask this question here as it is Duplex related..

This may seem like a stupid question to some of you, but how come the main driver on the 604, 212 etc has to have a x-over on it, and isn't just run full range? I've been into the single driver approach for a long time now, and whenever there is talk of adding a tweeter like say on a Fostex fe208es, there is just a cap for the tweeter and the main driver is still run full range no x-over..

Has anyone ever tried to just x-over the tweet/horn part of the 604 and leave the main driver running uncrossed?

Dave forums

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi Dave,

I have run my 604 LF full-range before. It works, but I think the reason most don't do it is because it doesn't get the best results. The more technically inclined will be able to tell you in better terms but I believe there are a lot of peaky artifacts from the LF driver between 3k and 5k that muck up the sound if not removed via filter. My experience was that while it perhaps sounds "surprisingly good", it was better to have a filter on the LF.

Dave

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Simply stated the LF cone gets nasty above about 3 kHz, and this tends to interfere with the HF unit.

I'm sure someone will post a more technical answer soon... forums

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Some can learn from history, others are doomed to repeat it. Why mess with the course of human events? forums

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for that info guys. I guess in a perfect world there wouldn't be those peaks/dips etc so the LF part could run pure/uncrossed.. Would anyone have a guess as to how many watts the x-over would use up in the GPA 604/212 drivers? 1-2 watts?

Dave forums

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<font color="#FFFFFF"><font size="1">[ November 29, 2008 06:00 PM: Message edited by: DaveCan ]</font></font>

Sorry double post, and couldn't see how to delete this one.....

<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ November 29, 2008 06:01 PM: Message edited by: DaveCan ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Originally posted by DaveCan:
    GM, I would just like to add that I'm sorry if my inquires have maybe opened up some old wounds.

.......and have come to the conclusion that the 604 or 212 will be the way to go for me, and so thats why I'm here....
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Don't worry about it, I knew that any design/whatever I posted would sooner or later be used for profit and even if SS's is one of them it's hardly the first and I doubt it'll be the last. What ticked me off so much was Jay not telling me who his 'friend' was he was helping or that unedited excepts from my responses to him would be published nor bother to tell me about it after the fact! I mean the only reason I know about either of them is via folks posting the links in 'lookee here' threads!

Well, it took you awhile forums , but sooner or later most folks who want to get the most out of a recording switch to multi-way HE systems. Physics, it's the LAW. forums

GM

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Originally posted by Todd W. White:
    Simply stated the LF cone gets nasty above about 3 kHz, and this tends to interfere with the HF unit.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No, that's pretty much the long and short of it other than the polar response of the woofer and HF horn are so far out of sync with increasing frequency that there's no way to coherently blend the two through the HF overlapping part of XO BW.

GM

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi Dave,

I ran my 604's for a long time with a 1.5w/ch SET. It allowed for plenty of dynamics and healthy listening volumes, but ultimately there was a limit. Mahler at 100dB's not really. Mahler at 95dB no problem. Certainly adequate for 97% of my listening. I noticed no benefit power/volume-wise going from 2nd-order xo on the LF to no xo on the LF (and no deficit going back).

Dave

<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ November 29, 2008 06:33 PM: Message edited by: selmerdave ]</font>