Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Model 19 Cabinets

Hi. I am new to the Altec world. I am looking to have a pair of model 19 cabinets made that I can fill with new drivers from Great Plains Audio. I know there used to be someone on ebay that made these but I can't find them anymore. Does anyone know where I might be able to get a pair of these?

Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Re: Model 19 Cabinets

I am not sure who the ebay selller is that you are referring to. Maybe someone else will chime in.

I would look for a local kitchen cabinet maker in your area and have them build the cabs from the Altec plans. It would be a plus if they had built speakers before but thats not necessary. You would save a bunch of money not having to have them shipped to you.

Also if you are a member over on AK you could ask if there is anyone in your area with speaker building experience

- - - Updated - - -

Also if you are not in a hurry to get these you could watch for ebay sellers close to you selling M19 components. Many times a speaker will get parted out and the cabs go in the trash. I noticed just today someone is selling the 420a woofers out of a pair of perfectly good Santanas. I imagine those will go to the curb once the drivers sell.

I picked up a pair of M17 cabs for 20 bucks this way

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

......or furniture maker for finest fit/finish.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

HB Super Moderator
    Model 19 Cabinets

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Here's a thread you might want to read..

Model 19 cabinet build - 2 sets

Senior Hostboard Member juniper's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lost240 View Post
    Hi. I am new to the Altec world. I am looking to have a pair of model 19 cabinets made that I can fill with new drivers from Great Plains Audio. I know there used to be someone on ebay that made these but I can't find them anymore. Does anyone know where I might be able to get a pair of these?
    I am curious why you would want to build model 19's there are much better modern designs with the same components. I have 19's and don't listen to them because I use a newer design.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I investigated building a set of 19's and found a good builder. I found a pair close to home that was a way better value and easy to re-sell if ever needed. Original Altec's have an intrinsic value much like a classic car. Plus the cool factor.

I would recommend buying original. As I sit here typing, I'm listening to a pair of model 14's with a big grin. Had to restore that pair, but now I have that feeling of attachment like they are classic art being preserved in my home. That they ROCK is just a bonus.

The only thing I'm thinking about changing is the binding posts.

The box is part of the sound. I have had speakers built out of everything. The Altec boxes suck compared to a Wilson. But they sound like a Chevy V8 through a "Flowmaster". Just right. The modern boxes are more "advanced" indeed. So is a 1016 Malibu compared to a 60's Malibu SS. You know in your heart what you want to drive on Saturday night. Thrilling and head turning comes from classic American designs.

Senior Hostboard Member VolvoHeretic's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nickd View Post
    The box is part of the sound. I have had speakers built out of everything. The Altec boxes suck compared to a Wilson. But they sound like a Chevy V8 through a "Flowmaster". Just right. The modern boxes are more "advanced" indeed. So is a 1016 Malibu compared to a 60's Malibu SS. You know in your heart what you want to drive on Saturday night. Thrilling and head turning comes from classic American designs.
    Hmm...I would much rather have a Factory Five Cobra replicar than an original Ford AC Cobra.
    "James, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!" World's scariest Volvo: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKn-LTNa4rc[/url]