Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 73

Thread: 9864A

  1. #41
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    "What part of it came from Yamaha?"

    Reads to me they were sold to Yamaha, not the other way around.

    "Didn't the pancake design have some problems? ..... something about not enough mass "

    Think about the app. Bolting a pancake to a 515 yields plenty of mass.

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ May 28, 2008 02:01 PM: Message edited by: bfish ]</font>

  2. #42
    Senior Hostboard Member
    9864A


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    AbG- IMHO the driver is what makes it an Engine- I'd defer to someone who was there. I wasn't.

    Again all I'm disputing is

    1 That's not an Engine and
    2 The 816VIX is what determines it's an Engine.

  3. #43
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by bfish:
    "What part of it came from Yamaha?"

    Reads to me they were sold to Yamaha, not the other way around.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Your right, I read the "for" as "from".

    "Didn't the pancake design have some problems? ..... something about not enough mass "

    Think about the app. Bolting a pancake to a 515 yeilds plenty of mass.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Right, but GaryZ indicated that he would have liked to have had it as a stand alone driver, and that is what I was referring too.

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ May 28, 2008 02:06 PM: Message edited by: Audio_by_Goodwill ]</font>

  4. #44
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Mistake while trying to edit

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ May 28, 2008 02:19 PM: Message edited by: Audio_by_Goodwill ]</font>

  5. #45
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by O G:
    [QB]AbG- IMHO the driver is what makes it an Engine- I'd defer to someone who was there. I wasn't.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Clearly the driver is the key, and not the box. However, I thought that possibly it took the whole driver/cabinet assembly, to have an Engine. Looking back, I see that GaryZ already indicated that the driver is the Engine.

    I suppose I'm probably looking deeper than I need to.

    Again all I'm disputing is

    1 That's not an Engine and
    2 The 816VIX is what determines it's an Engine.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think I know where Convergence is getting mixed up, and hopefully he'll read my explanation, posted earlier.

  6. #46
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    I will be more precise this time.

    THE ALTEC DUPLEX ENGINE

    The 515 8GHP

    REAR NOTICE THE 299 HF DRIVER

    20


    FRONT IT SHOWS THROAT FOR 1.4 "HORN


    21

    HORN

    22


    THE CABINET 816 VI

    ...............................

  7. #47
    Inactive Member whitebroncoii's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 14th, 2008
    Posts
    208
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Gentlemen,
    An "Engine" is a component driver with a shared magnet. Marketing hype "dual magnet" is maybe confusing, but, all "Engine" components share a single magnet with the HF phase plug/diaphragm on the back and the woofer pole piece and voice coil on the front. "Engines" were installed in all of the models that I listed. The first "Engine" (299 HF) required a bass-horn cabinet because of the large HF horn. Any of Altec bass-horns would work, even the 817. The small-format "Engine" was designed with a flat face horn and would work in any cabinet. The latest "Engine" (Altec CD1012-8A or GPA 212-8A) will also work in any cabinet.

    The cabinet does not make an "Engine".

    I have been reviewing old literature and maybe some of the confusion is because the term "Engine" was discontinued after the initial intro of the 9864-8A and 9894-8A. We started refering to all the speakers loaded with this amazing driver as "DTS" (Duplex Technology System).

    In the late 1980's Yamaha America wanted to build the best and most expensive concert system available. They tested and listened to all of the large-format HF drivers and decided the Altec 299 was the best. Yamaha America bought standard 299's and used them in their FOH speakers. They decided to use the 299 in a high-performance floor monitor and found the driver was too long. Bill H. developed a pancake version by removing the front pot. The only loss was about 1.5dB below 800Hz. This is not a problem, even when crossed over at 500Hz (Yamaha floor monitors were crossed over much higher).

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ May 28, 2008 05:58 PM: Message edited by: GaryZ ]</font>

  8. #48
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks again Gary.

    Kinda OT, but do you know what 1.4" horns Yamaha employed in those systems?

  9. #49
    Inactive Member whitebroncoii's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 14th, 2008
    Posts
    208
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by bfish:
    Thanks again Gary.

    Kinda OT, but do you know what 1.4" horns Yamaha employed in those systems?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sorry bfish, I never got to hear or see the finished Yamaha products.

  10. #50
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That's cool, thanks. If they weren't Altec horns, at least now us scroungers might have another potential source of semi-compact 1.4" horns. forums

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.