Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Texas A&M, Florida State, and the SEC

Quote Originally Posted by gcdevil22 View Post
    he's a UT fan and hates VT, that's his only reasoning...

BTW... that Football Saturday's In The South show was on today and they had a good segment on David Wilson.
    "There he goes, one of Gods own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

VT alumni have always had a large presence in NOVA/DC/Baltimore as well as the Tidewater and Richmond...but since VT joined the ACC, a large contingent of alumni have settled in Charlotte...so the original draw of VT the first go-around was a mixture of 7 TV markets in the top 100 Nielsen ratings

DC (6)
    Charlotte (23)
    Baltimore (26)
    Norfolk-Portsmouth-Newport News (43)
    Richmond (57)
    Roanoke (66)
    Tri-Cities (91)

Only Tri-Cities is currently a TV market that the SEC has a stronghold on
    "An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity."

-Martin Luther King Jr.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Now, where is Dallas/Fort Worth/San Antonio/Houston in those ratings?
    "There he goes, one of Gods own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Claiming DC as any one university's stronghold (I know you're not) or having any sort of large pull over any other is absurd. That city has a mixture of people from all of the country and the world so it's hard to think that VT would be any more of an advantage as far as DC goes as Georgetown, Michigan, Notre Dame, Maryland (who's almost double the enrollement of VT) ect. UT has one of the biggest alumni bases in the state of FL, that doesn't make it a UT stronghold. A&M would give the SEC three of the top 10 television network markets. They could lay a claim to every FL market, every NC market, Nashville, Knoxville, San Antonio, Birmingham, Memphis, Austin, Little Rock, Lexington, the South Carolina Markets, Jackson, Baton Rouge, Chattanooga. If I counted that jumbled mess correctly there are about 33 of the top 100 US TV markets that the SEC would own.

1New York2Los Angeles3Chicago4Philadelphia5Dallas-Ft. Worth6San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose7Boston8Atlanta9Washington, DC10Houston11Detroit12Phoenix13Tampa-St. Petersburg14Seattle-Tacoma15Minneapolis-St. Paul16Miami-Ft.Lauderdale17Cleveland-Akron18Denver19Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne20Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto21St. Louis22Portland, OR23Pittsburgh24Charlotte, NC25Indianapolis26Baltimore27Raleigh-Durham28San Diego29Nashville30Hartford-New Haven31Kansas City32Columbus, OH33Salt Lake City34Cincinnati35Milwaukee36Greenville-Spartanburg-Asheville-Anderson37San Antonio38West Palm Beach-Ft. Pierce39Grand Rapids-Kalamazoo-Battle Creek40Birmingham41Harrisburg-Lancaster-Lebanon-York42Las Vegas43Norfolk-Portsmouth-Newport News44Albuquerque-Santa Fe45Oklahoma City46Greensboro-High Point-Winston-Salem47Jacksonville, FL48Memphis49Austin50Louisville51Buffalo52Providence-New Bedford53New Orleans54Wilkes Barre-Scranton55Fresno-Visalia56Little Rock-Pine Bluff57Albany-Schenectady-Troy58Richmond-Petersburg59Knoxville60Mobile-Pensacola61Tulsa62Ft. Myers-Naples63Lexington64Dayton65Charleston-Huntington66Flint-Saginaw-Bay City67Roanoke-Lynchburg68Tucson69Wichita-Hutchinson70Green Bay-Appleton71Des Moines-Ames72Honolulu73Toledo74Springfield, MO75Spokane76Omaha77Portland-Auburn78Paducah-Cape Girardeau-Harrisburg79Columbia, SC80Rochester, NY81Syracuse82Huntsville-Decatur83Champaign-Springfield-Decatur84Shreveport85Madison86Chattanooga87Harlingen-Weslaco-Brownsville-McAllen88Cedar Rapids-Waterloo-Iowa City-Dubuque89South Bend-Elkhart90Jackson, MS91Colorado Springs-Pueblo92Tri-Cities, TN-NC-VA93Burlington-Plattsburgh94Waco-Temple-Bryan95Baton Rouge96Savannah97Davenport-Rock Island-Moline98El Paso99Charleston, SC100Ft. Smith-Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

the point is, those are 6 new markets available to the SEC that they would otherwise not have access to...of the schools you mentioned...only Notre Dame would give them access to a greater number of markets

I'm not arguing the SEC needs VT....they don't...they also don't need Texas A&M...I feel they could be at the top without any new additions...I'm counter arguing your argument that a VT membership does nothing for new markets

What new market would FSU bring that Florida doesnt currently have access to? What about Clemson and any new market that USC doesnt currently have? Same with GT/UGa

If the SEC is going to add someone new, they need new markets, they got that done with Texas A&M...now what? Where do you turn next without your members losing money on travel costs? Oklahoma maybe? VT maybe? Maryland??? If you want to have balance for the teams in the Eastern and Western divisions, then Oklahoma is out of it, OK would also require that the SEC also take OK St...which would be a bad business decision for the SEC...so do you look East? To say VT doesn't have an attractive market is shortsighted...VT has a good percentage of access to a lot of markets, which makes up for any lack of stronghold on one central large market
    "An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity."

-Martin Luther King Jr.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

When I see Clemson and FSU possibly getting an invite... I see the SEC also trying to deepen the in-state rivalry between Clemson and South Carolina. With FSU, you would have the in-state rivalry between Florida State and Florida. Missouri is to me kind of the odd choice in this thing. If Clemson and Florida State go the SEC, I could see Syracuse for sure probably getting an invite and to me the SEC would get stronger in football and the ACC would get stronger in basketball.....especially with a Louisville invite.

You could have some thing like this.:

SEC East.
    Tennessee
    Vanderbilt
    Clemson
    South Carolina
    Florida
    Florida State
    Georgia
    Kentucky

SEC West
    Alabama
    Auburn
    Mississippi
    Mississippi State
    Arkansas
    Louisiana State
    Texas A&M
    Texas Tech

Texas Tech, IMO would be my first choice here...then maybe Baylor or Georgia Tech out of the ACC with the Atlanta market to me is a more suitable school here for this (If I'm thinking of another school to join instead of a weird pick like Missouri)

Think of how much Georgia Techs recruiting would skyrocket in football.....I think so anyway.

ACC Teams....could it look like.....

Virginia
    Virginia Tech
    North Carolina
    North Carolina State
    Duke
    Wake Forest
    Boston College
    Maryland
    Georgia Tech
    Miami

Possible adds for rivalries....
    Syracuse (football/basketball ties with BC in north and NY market)
    Connecticut (with BC & Syracuse grabbing northeast markets)
    Louisville (decent football program / strong in basketball)
    West Virginia (football ties great rivalry w/ Virginia schools, strong football program)
    Pittsburgh (backyard brawl w Virgina and West Va, hits NE market, and strong basketball program)
    Central Florida (rising football program, decent basketball program and puts another Florida market in ACC

ACC Coastal
    Pittsburgh
    Connecticut
    Boston College
    Louisville
    Miami
    Central Florida
    North Carolina State
    Maryland

ACC Atlantic
    Virginia
    Virginia Tech
    West Virginia
    Syracuse
    Georgia Tech
    Wake Forest
    North Carolina
    Duke
    Last edited by PVVikings2006; August 14th, 2011 at 12:15 AM.
    UNION HIGH SCHOOL BEARS - THE NEW ERA BEGINS

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't know if we're arguing against each other or for the same thing anymore. I don't want expansion. I want things to stay the way they are. I'm saying that I see why they're going with A&M strictly for a television reason. It's more beneficial for them to take A&M over VT. Fort Worth/Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, Harlingen/Weslaco/Brownsville, McCallen, Waco, and El Paso could all be called gimme's if A&M joined the SEC. If you wanted to go overboard with places like DC for VT you could also include Kansas City, St. Louis, ABQ/Sante Fe, OKC, Tulsa, Des Moines, Spokane, Omaha, Cedar Rapids, and 3-4 more for A&M.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Texas Tech has zero chance in getting invited to the SEC. The SEC has already said as much. Again, Missouri makes sense because of the St Louis TV market. The SEC already owns ATL, they don't need GT.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Virginia Tech is like the Dallas Cowboys. They both talk a big game, have an enormous amount of talent but, always fail to show up when it matters. Why the SEC would want VT is beyond me; I understand why VT wouldn't want to go, they would get beaten brutally.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PV2WISE2VCU View Post
    Virginia Tech is like the Dallas Cowboys. They both talk a big game, have an enormous amount of talent but, always fail to show up when it matters. Why the SEC would want VT is beyond me; I understand why VT wouldn't want to go, they would get beaten brutally.

HOW DARE YOU! Dallas has championships! VT is closer to the Deadskins than the Cowboys!

Seriously if the SEC could bring a team from the ACC they would want UNC, but they know that isn't happening without Duke, and that isnt happening either. So there is no need to even go there.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast