Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: VDOT

  1. #11
    Inactive Member TheBeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,351
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: VDOT

    I agree with logo about the waste of salt and manhours for a flury that don't even get the road wet. I know most all of the workers at the Coeburn VDOT by the prison and most of them look forward to just the thought of snow so they can ge the overtime some of them actually count on this as a type of bonus to their salary every year and make plans around getting it (vacations, christmas, a new car or truck etc.)
    Don't get me wrong I do believe they need to do all roads for the safety of everyone. But they need to not waste the resources like they have been doing.
    [COLOR="Lime"][SIZE="6"][FONT="Century Gothic"]CREAG AN TUIRC[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/mm38nut/thkfc.gif[/img]

  2. #12
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: VDOT

    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    But they need to not waste the resources like they have been doing.

    [/ QUOTE ]

    I totally agree there Beast, but I would rather them do too much than not enough. I don't mind the VDOT workers hoping for snow, and getting their OT. They are putting themselves in harmsway to try and make conditions better for us to get to work and make money. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  3. #13
    Inactive Member LPDBlueDevils's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 26th, 2005
    Posts
    629
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: VDOT

    I'm not really sure how accurate this is but this is what I've always heard, VDOT continues to lay salt and gravel down so they use up the money alloted to them for that fiscal year, if they don't use the money they will not be afforded the same amount of money the next year. Take for what it is worth, but that is what one of my family members told me and he is contracted out during the winter months to scrape, salt, and lay gravel with his dump truck.

  4. #14
    Inactive Member Houndman's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 29th, 2005
    Posts
    422
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: VDOT

    I agree with you. Most if not all the time they overdo the salt and rock deal. I have watched them drop rock on a dry road after the snow and ice has been gone for a day or two. This happens on the first little snow of the winter and I don't remember very much snow or ice the last four or five winters. It seems as if they have to make sure they use all the salt and rock or they will get none the next year.Sometimes they even contract with outside trucks to help them. Seems strange to me.
    Lives of great men all remind us as their pages o'er we turn, that we're apt to leave behind us letters that we ought to burn.-----Anonymous

  5. #15
    Inactive Member Jason's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 12th, 2002
    Posts
    3,146
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: VDOT

    If you all think VDOT is bad then go to Kingsport when they here Johny Wood predict snow! Now they overdo it! [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

  6. #16
    Inactive Member TheBeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,351
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: VDOT

    It is way better here than in Texas where they get so little snow and ice that they don't even have salt or gravel to lay. All they do is go out and spread sand, they don't even have any sraper blade trucks. Went down there to my uncle's outside of Dallas a few years back when UT played Kstate in the cotton blow (yes I know it's bowl but UT did blow this one.) They haed the first real measurable snowfall in like 15 years almost 5 inches on sunday. On monday morning while heading to the game I was driving on like 4 inches of just frozen slush and sand mixed. So I guess I can't complain to much about the way they do around here.
    I have heard that as well about them not getting the same allotment the next year if they don't spend it all this year. Doing this is not a bad thing you never know what the weather will be and they might need all that extra that was seemingly wasted the year before. My sister has to do the same thing in her job at MECC, they go on field trips and spend a bunch of money just so they get the same money the next year, this way they know what they are going to get and will have it just in case it is need for unexpected expenses.
    [COLOR="Lime"][SIZE="6"][FONT="Century Gothic"]CREAG AN TUIRC[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/mm38nut/thkfc.gif[/img]

  7. #17
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: VDOT

    I don't agree if that is the plan. And it will cause a lot of safety problems. Since VDOT has covered the road before i cannot see them not being liable, should there be a bad accident on a road they are responsible for. But you never know and that is why the state pays so much out for those lawyers they have. Wouldn't hurt to make a call to your local rep. or congressman.

    Oh and as far as the raise not to cause a stink. But i work for the state. We are getting a 3% raise. The county is getting 6%. State employees have not gotten anything over 3.25% in years. It all goes back to the legislators, who basically see the local counties get the money. Most don't know it. But most county police officer's make more than most state employees, even those in D.O.C. Kind of unreal isn't it.
    I do engineering and env. work and myself i am thinking of going back to the private sector, one due to looking at retirement. Since going to work for the State i've actually now started to go backwards instead of forwards, so when that happens you have to CYOA.

  8. #18
    Inactive Member greencrest1272's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2004
    Posts
    1,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: VDOT

    I dont know what kind of state jobs you are talking about but county police officers do not get paid ANYTHING, in Dickenson County that is the case anyway. Trust me, I know this for a fact. I think the starting salary for a county police officer is like $21,000 where as a state police officer is $32,000. The only other state job that I know about is a probation officer, they make starting out around $38,000.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

    -Teddy Roosevelt

  9. #19
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: VDOT

    Well i talked with a C/O the other day. At a major institution like WRSP or ROSP. The starting pay is only $24,000 dollars a year. And that is constantly in a high profile dangerous job, level 5-6 prisons. Most C/O's coming into D.O.C. have a burnout rate of 5 yrs.
    The only thing the state really offers is benefits. Other than that. You don't make no real money and the way it is set up. The pay scales and selections is a joke. The state can start you anywhere they want to within the range of the job scope. Which could be the difference in $10,000 dollars more or less a year.
    No overtime is paid unless pre-approved. And basically holidays, well every one is taking, and no OT there either only comp. time.
    I don't know what Dickenson Co. pays, but i know WC most officers are taken good care of. In fact most towns locally lose their officers to the county. So that should tell you something.
    And the state police has an association, which means they have a voice in Richmond.
    State or town or county officials have no voice no where, well counties do in a way with local reps.
    State employees cannot even strike, nor can town or county employees.
    The state police really can't but they have a voice in Richmond that makes sure they are heard. In a way they have their on advocacy group. Try doing that anywhere else in the state you will be fired. And that is a fact. I think i read it on here once. VA is an at will state. Meaning you can be fired without even knowing why. Most do try to give a reason now, because of the number of lawsuits. But any reason will work. 2 mins late for work 3 times in a row. Your fired. And the state in most departments is the same. It's not what every one thinks. I know i've had people tell me it must be nice. No not hardly. And im one of these type of people who is usual at work 15 mins. early and i am usally there like last night till i can leave, not when i want to but when i can. And every thing is done to maybe get 30 dollars more on the month? No state jobs well some arent' what folks think.
    The state is more about the benefits not the salaries. Unless your DMLR or DMME or something like that. And their even beginning to complain now, because they no longer get their evaluation raises due to the governor's never funding it. Makes for some interesting chat. Your get a great elevation, but we can't give you a step raise, it was never funded. Like i said CYOA, no matter where you work.

    And as far as the salt issue. I think if the roads need it do it. But a little common sense plays into it. Why salt a road that is clear? Just to do it? Yes that is a waste. Sometimes some common sense does have to play into the picture.

  10. #20
    Inactive Member greencrest1272's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2004
    Posts
    1,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: VDOT

    Its very hard to predict the weather, I think sometimes and it happens more often than not, the forecasters predict a massive storm and VDOT tries to get a step ahead and salt before the storm, and we end up getting nothing. You cant fault them for wanting to be prepared and noone can accurately predict the weather %100 of the time.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

    -Teddy Roosevelt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •