Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 46

Thread: Gustav

  1. #31
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Gustav

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boney</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They chose to conscientiously live beneath sea level, to ignore the warnings to evacuate the city, so yes, I think they probably deserved it. I believe a reaction exists for every possible action. I feel deep sorrow for them, but the handwriting was on the wall, and they chose to ignore it.`</div></div>
    Add to that an enormous number of them chose not to insure against flood (houses built before Federal Flood program was mandated).

    I'm not saying anyone deserved that kind of catastophy, I'm saying that it's a "bang head against wall" kind of logic...
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  2. #32
    Inactive Member plantsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 14th, 2006
    Posts
    2,592
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Gustav

    Agreed, but depends on how one defines deserve - certainly, they don't deserve it for some sin, ethnicity, economic positioning, They could have avoided it. But as someone posted, their political leadership, good ol' Ray, and his inept staff also let thm down. But I feel they do deserve it as a consequence of their own choices and actions. A better word for deserved may be consequential, I don't know.

  3. #33
    Inactive Member imported_gracie's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 7th, 2007
    Posts
    16
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Gustav

    Might be easier said than done regarding their choice to leave the New Orleans area. I lived in central Louisiana for a few years and experienced a hurricane in 1972; my family and I visited New Orleans and the surrounding area on several occasions. Perhaps the people who lived there when Katrina hit in 2005 or continue to live there didn't or don't have the monetary means to live elsewhere. I'm sure that they were and are aware of the risk of hurricanes where they live and would most likely want to avoid a repeat of Katrina. Do they deserve to suffer because,as some people say they "choose" to continue living there? For many people it might not be a choice to leave the area and live elsewhere. Just my thoughts.

  4. #34
    Inactive Member imported_burrhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2003
    Posts
    1,878
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Gustav

    The only good thing that ever happened in New Orleans is when Fats Domino was rescued.

  5. #35
    Inactive Member R13's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2007
    Posts
    10,269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Gustav

    Was it their fault too that those levees broke?

  6. #36
    Inactive Member buck73's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 22nd, 2006
    Posts
    148
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Gustav

    I guess the children that died deserved it too!
    People out in the midwest deserve to get mowed down by a tornado because they live in tornado alley.
    Macho Man
    [img]http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2007/11/01/2003988995.jpg[/img]

    2007 ACC Champions!

  7. #37
    Inactive Member MikeJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8th, 2007
    Posts
    3,888
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Gustav

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gracie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Might be easier said than done regarding their choice to leave the New Orleans area. I lived in central Louisiana for a few years and experienced a hurricane in 1972; my family and I visited New Orleans and the surrounding area on several occasions. Perhaps the people who lived there when Katrina hit in 2005 or continue to live there didn't or don't have the monetary means to live elsewhere. I'm sure that they were and are aware of the risk of hurricanes where they live and would most likely want to avoid a repeat of Katrina. Do they deserve to suffer because,as some people say they "choose" to continue living there? For many people it might not be a choice to leave the area and live elsewhere. Just my thoughts.




















    </div></div>

    Well If one can make it from guatemala or any other below the border country to anywhere USA. IM sure they could have moved.
    GO VOLS

  8. #38
    Inactive Member imported_gracie's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 7th, 2007
    Posts
    16
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Gustav

    Glad you were fortunate enough to have had the means to do so. Not all people are.

  9. #39
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Gustav

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: raider13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was it their fault too that those levees broke? </div></div>


    Actually, it sort of was their fault. They voted for crap mayors that used money ear marked for levee repair for other uses.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  10. #40
    Inactive Member imported_gracie's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 7th, 2007
    Posts
    16
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Gustav

    I misread your response--sorry. Anyway, you were referring to others, not yourself. However, those are just my thoughts on believing that not all people have the means to just pick up and leave their homes and find other places to live.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •