Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Bullying

  1. #1
    Inactive Member centennialdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2003
    Posts
    3,263
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Bullying

    I am putting this on the Non-sports forum so more will see, hopefully some who work there considering all the bullying that has gotten national attention lately.

    I have an 8 year old grand daughter who is constantly being bullied by another child at Powell Valley Primary School. When she tells her teacher about the bullying, then she gets in trouble for tattling. Don't get me wrong, my grand daughter is not without her moments, but for her to get into trouble for telling on a bully is just wrong. She has not only been called name, but she has been hit, pushed, shoved, spat on, and most serious of all, the girl forced her hands down her shirt.

    Now, I have read the Wise county school's policy on bullying and it is very plain. It is not to be tolerated in any form and if physical contact happens, then the Wise county sheriff's office is to be notified. None of this has happened. As a matter of fact, her teacher has stated that unless you are bleeding or are physically hurt you are NOT to tattle.

    The vice-principal has asked to be given a chance to deal with it, but I don't see why he needs a chance, you either do what the policy says and fix the problem, or you don't and face the consequences.

    I am starting a campain to try to stop this horrible thing in our schools. Join me and voice your opposition to bullying in our schools!

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Biggin's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 18th, 2002
    Posts
    9,588
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Bullying

    wow CD, that is a very serious situation and I would do the same thing you are doing. if the problem does not stop soon, and the administration does not make a real effort to stop this, you should take it as far as it needs to go to be stopped.

    but I have to add you really have to make sure you have all the facts of the situation. I am not calling your grand daughter a liar or anything of the sort, you know me. But sometimes little kids will not give you the whole situation and you do not want to go about this unprepared.
    [IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh111/Vic_Fontaine/sig.jpg[/IMG]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member centennialdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2003
    Posts
    3,263
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Bullying

    Quote Originally Posted by Biggin View Post
    wow CD, that is a very serious situation and I would do the same thing you are doing. if the problem does not stop soon, and the administration does not make a real effort to stop this, you should take it as far as it needs to go to be stopped.

    but I have to add you really have to make sure you have all the facts of the situation. I am not calling your grand daughter a liar or anything of the sort, you know me. But sometimes little kids will not give you the whole situation and you do not want to go about this unprepared.

    I do have all the facts. That's the problem. The assistant principal asked for a few days to handle it, but there should be NO time, this is a serious situation which requires an immediate response. This is in accordance with Wise county's own policy. Yeah, I realize they are 8 year old kids, but this has got to stop. I was bullied when I was her age because of a physical problem I had(polio) and I know how it feels. Maybe that is one reason I am so defensive about stuff today and walk around with a chip on my shoulder sometimes, it can be devastating.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Bullying

    Quote Originally Posted by centennialdawg View Post
    I do have all the facts. That's the problem. The assistant principal asked for a few days to handle it, but there should be NO time, this is a serious situation which requires an immediate response. This is in accordance with Wise county's own policy. Yeah, I realize they are 8 year old kids, but this has got to stop. I was bullied when I was her age because of a physical problem I had(polio) and I know how it feels. Maybe that is one reason I am so defensive about stuff today and walk around with a chip on my shoulder sometimes, it can be devastating.
    Unfortunately though, you have to give them time so that they have verified the situation and can act accordingly. As bad as that sounds they have to perform C.Y.A. procedures too.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  5. #5
    Inactive Member centennialdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2003
    Posts
    3,263
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Bullying

    Well, they have had plenty of time, the teacher knew it and the only action she took was to punish my grand daughter for telling.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Biggin's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 18th, 2002
    Posts
    9,588
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Bullying

    many people have had to deal with being bullied, i understand your point. i was a fat kid who stuttered, i know what its like to deal with it.

    but i would give the administration the benefit of the doubt at this point to figure out and resolve the situation. the people who run the school really do care IMO and will do whatever it takes to fix this I think. if its not resolved in a very timely manner, i would totally raise hell. these are very important situations that influence a person's entire life, I understand your anger.

    I was not trying to call anyone a liar or doubt you at all, but we all know how kids are sometimes. its worth speaking to the teacher and others involved in the situation before going all-out. it sounds like the teacher was in the wrong and indifferent to the situation but you should probably speak with him/her to find out how the situation has evolved. Maybe even speak to the other child's parents to try and quell the situation permanently. or talk to the other child. a lot of times a kid that small will bully or attack another child from either learned behavior (domestic violence at home) or some other problems that leads the kid to lash out at other kids they feel are in a better situation or have people that care like you do.
    [IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh111/Vic_Fontaine/sig.jpg[/IMG]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Rocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 21st, 2003
    Posts
    1,914
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Bullying

    Quote Originally Posted by Biggin View Post
    many people have had to deal with being bullied, i understand your point. i was a fat kid who stuttered, i know what its like to deal with it.

    but i would give the administration the benefit of the doubt at this point to figure out and resolve the situation. the people who run the school really do care IMO and will do whatever it takes to fix this I think. if its not resolved in a very timely manner, i would totally raise hell.
    the people at that school DONT care, we had a similar situation like this with my nephew and it wasnt dealt with. Him and another little boy (a black boy) were being picked on on the bus by a 10 year old boy. we tried to get it taken care of and nothing was done. (nothing was EVER said or DONE about it) Dom, eventually got tired of being called a dirt poor indian and tired of his friend being called a ******. Dom eventually told the boy that he was a mexican, he was proud of it, and ended up breaking the kid's nose. I dont condone violence unless its needed and after you are beat up every day on the bus with nothing being done about it, i guess you have to take care of it yourself.
    Cant we all just get along?

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Jason's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 12th, 2002
    Posts
    3,146
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Bullying

    Two of my girls also had been bullied with the same situation you describe about getting in trouble if they tattle. I finally told them if it happens anymore do not tell the teacher. I instructed them to just punch the bully in the nose as hard as they can and if they get in trouble I will come visit the teacher in person. Have not had any bullying problems since.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Rocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 21st, 2003
    Posts
    1,914
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Bullying

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Two of my girls also had been bullied with the same situation you describe about getting in trouble if they tattle. I finally told them if it happens anymore do not tell the teacher. I instructed them to just punch the bully in the nose as hard as they can and if they get in trouble I will come visit the teacher in person. Have not had any bullying problems since.
    better put your flame suit on, the hippy brigade on here will have a field day with that one.
    Cant we all just get along?

  10. #10
    Inactive Member centennialdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2003
    Posts
    3,263
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Bullying

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Two of my girls also had been bullied with the same situation you describe about getting in trouble if they tattle. I finally told them if it happens anymore do not tell the teacher. I instructed them to just punch the bully in the nose as hard as they can and if they get in trouble I will come visit the teacher in person. Have not had any bullying problems since.
    They wouldn't happen to go to PVPS would they?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •