Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: School Consolidation Press Conference

Quote Originally Posted by VHSLhelper View Post
    is there any actual problem that can't be fixed with the gym?
    Or is it unavailable too much? Some places like to limit access of "built-in" gyms, but an "unconnected" gym might be open every evening.
    The "gym" isn't regulation- It us dammed Appy people wanting the same acess to a gym as everybody else in the county. The goals aren't 10 feet and there is no way to get any seating, so the middle schools have no place to play/practice.
    We'll keep the lights on for you.
    Spuds

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So it's really just not a hazard and the rims are off a few inches? Hmmm, sounded a little worse when Cornett was flipping out and Hutchinson said quote "may god have mercy on your souls" when they didn't vote for that last measure on it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R13 View Post
    So it's really just not a hazard and the rims are off a few inches? Hmmm, sounded a little worse when Cornett was flipping out and Hutchinson said quote "may god have mercy on your souls" when they didn't vote for that last measure on it.
    Thought you said you played in that gym? You don't have that good a memory? The area isn't as big as a regular gym- the kids don't have enough room to do all the P. E. activites. Either you modify the games/classes or you risk the kids running into the walls. The rims are 8ft or less. Still makes the same sore spot. Coeburn and Wise both have 3 gyms in the schools, it kinda gets old. This is what is always brought up,"We have more pressing needs than what the Appalachia Schools need."
    However, I don't think I ever went as far as hiring a lawyer.
    Spuds

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If it's the same gym I described, then yes. The rims aren't close to being 8 feet, they probably aren't regulation but nothing close to 8 feet...my 5'8 ass would be trying to dunk it if that were the case, but I was as far away from it as always. The court is definitely smaller, but nothing as in you're running into anything. It just seems shorter, as in the 3 point line and half court being closer, but not like anyone was running into walls or anything and these were full grown men playing. If this is same gym I was in, there's nothing really at all wrong with it, it's about as efficient as any small children need - they don't need a massive court playing 5-10 feet in playing basketball. I really didn't know this was the same gym, the way the ones on the board talked, it was the most awful thing you can imagine putting a kid. But now I know it's nothing, then it just ticks me off more they act like this.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R13 View Post
    If it's the same gym I described, then yes. The rims aren't close to being 8 feet, they probably aren't regulation but nothing close to 8 feet...my 5'8 ass would be trying to dunk it if that were the case, but I was as far away from it as always. The court is definitely smaller, but nothing as in you're running into anything. It just seems shorter, as in the 3 point line and half court being closer, but not like anyone was running into walls or anything and these were full grown men playing. If this is same gym I was in, there's nothing really at all wrong with it, it's about as efficient as any small children need - they don't need a massive court playing 5-10 feet in playing basketball. I really didn't know this was the same gym, the way the ones on the board talked, it was the most awful thing you can imagine putting a kid. But now I know it's nothing, then it just ticks me off more they act like this.

You are right- you don't know where you were. I've seen 5'10" kids throw the ball down with both hands. You are thinking about the civic center, if the rims were above 8' and you weren't at the high school. It's stuff like this that sets people off, you really have no idea what you are talking about- but it is good enough as long as it isn't your little group that is having to put up with it. This is half of the problem. If we don't need a "massive" gym, why did the rest of the schools waste all that money?
    Spuds

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Dude I just sat there and said I didn't know if it was the same gym, you all are the ones that talked like it was. Doesn't sound like any hazard, so I don't really care, with the way you guys talked was that it's a hellhole - now I directly ask you and it's just not being regulation. Sorry, that's not a pressing issue and no reason for the three stooges to flip out like they did last meeting. Actually like I said, Norton has one similar, nothing regulation about it, was a cafeteria during half the time too. Yet you see no one *****ing about it and us talking about what kind of hell it was. The kids probably don't give a ****, just the adults all up in arms about it.

I've asked what's so bad about it and only think I've gotten is that it's not regulation, well book ****ing hoo. I'm not against them getting a new gym, I really don't care, but IF that's the only problems with it then it's not something urgent and our board members don't need to flip the hell out about it and act like children over it. Perry explained what the process was the way it was last time, but they still went nuts and pouted like their good for.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Once again R13 is just running his mouth. You have no idea what the man is talking about. There is no gym to be spoken of at the elementary school, only a cafeteria with a concrete floor and 2 goals. They deserve a gym just like PV elementary got and Coeburn and it shouldnt be tied to Fred Luntsford's vote, and by the way shut the F@uck up about something you pay no taxes toward in any way, shape, or form, you dont work for a living and therefore you have no say or opinion. Go back to looking in the mirror at your crooked hat and pants falling off your ass.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MapleGap View Post
    Once again R13 is just running his mouth. You have no idea what the man is talking about. There is no gym to be spoken of at the elementary school, only a cafeteria with a concrete floor and 2 goals. They deserve a gym just like PV elementary got and Coeburn and it shouldnt be tied to Fred Luntsford's vote, and by the way shut the F@uck up about something you pay no taxes toward in any way, shape, or form, you dont work for a living and therefore you have no say or opinion. Go back to looking in the mirror at your crooked hat and pants falling off your ass.

:laffingassoff::laffingassoff::rotfl:

Inactive Member DieHardSportsGal's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Actually there is a gym at the Appy Elem School and no, it's not the same room as the cafeteria. The problem, if I recall correctly with the gym aside from the size & non-regulation goals, are huge concrete columns on either side of the main playing service. Pretty dangerous in my opinion for kids to be running and playing full force and then crash head first into one of those things. I haven't been in that gym in several years, so I don't know if other problems exist, but the columns are what I would consider the biggest issue.
    Progress always involves risk. You can't steal second base with your foot on first.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You can call it a gym if you like, but its not even close to comparable to PV and Coeburn elementary. But even if it was a gym and was old and needed replaced, it should NOT be tied to the consolidation issue.