Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: School Consolidation Press Conference

After reading the opinion handed down by the Attorney General in full, it is in my opinion that Dr. Perry is wrong in saying any legal action would hold no water. The opinion states: "Accordingly, it is my opinion that a school board is solely responsible for the decision whether and how to consolidate schools, and a county board of supervisors may not instruct the school board to consolidate schools or how to consolidate schools."

It also states: "A board of supervisors, nonetheless, is free to express its desire
    concerning how certain funds should be spent. Therefore, the Board in this instance can recommend the adoption of a particular plan for school consolidation. Such recommendations, however, "have no controlling effect upon the school board, because the ultimate responsibility for a plan of school
    consolidation rests with the school board."

While Dr. Perry, the board of supervisors and other 2-1 supporters will point to the second quote I listed as their "out", it is of my belief that it is not. Why? Fred Lundsford has openly stated and is on record at a public meeting saying the only way he would vote to fund 2-1 is if the school board built the elementary school in Appalachia a new gymnasium. To me, this is mandating how money is spent, which according to the Commonwealth of Virginia's Attorney General is illegal. Only time will tell and I'm not a judge but what I listed are the facts and direct quotes from a high ranking official in this state. It would seem to me that board of supervisors would need to find some sort of loophole or way around what Lundsford said. In this case, it isn't some backroom deal either; those comments were said at public board of supervisors meeting.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The School Board also said the only way Appy was going to get a gym is to closs Appalachia High School. All I have to say to all the towns in Wise County is cut out the lights the party's over or pack your bags cause we are moving. Your fighting a battle that can't be won.
    [img]http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i92/chilo0907/obama.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l276/fanofreed41/obama_button.png[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

dawg------------it ain't over til it's over. where's your fight? dawgs don't give up!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

"Accordingly, it is my opinion that a school board is solely responsible for the decision whether and how to consolidate schools, and a county board of supervisors may not instruct the school board to consolidate schools or how to consolidate schools."

It also states: "A board of supervisors, nonetheless, is free to express its desire
    concerning how certain funds should be spent. Therefore, the Board in this instance can recommend the adoption of a particular plan for school consolidation. Such recommendations, however, "have no controlling effect upon the school board, because the ultimate responsibility for a plan of school
    consolidation rests with the school board."

This would be the key to it, he said it is his OPINION nowhere did he say anything about there being any kind of law against anything that has happened or any law against what Luntsford said. Just because he is the AG doesn't mean that his "opinion" holds any more weight than anyone else's unless there is a law to back it.....then it isn't opinion but a statement of fact.
    [COLOR="Lime"][SIZE="6"][FONT="Century Gothic"]CREAG AN TUIRC[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/mm38nut/thkfc.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by centennialdawg View Post
    The parents of these children seem to be pretty determined to not let their children attend a consolidated school in Wise, no matter what.
    So, instead, they'll send 'em to a consolidated school in lee, or a consolidated school in D'son?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeast View Post
    This would be the key to it, he said it is his OPINION nowhere did he say anything about there being any kind of law against anything that has happened or any law against what Luntsford said. Just because he is the AG doesn't mean that his "opinion" holds any more weight than anyone else's unless there is a law to back it.....then it isn't opinion but a statement of fact.
    I agree that it will be up to a judge to decide. The AG was just stating what the LAW is. He didn't say they broke any laws. Now, if you choose to believe that Fred Lundsford didn't mandate how the money was to be spent that is your opinion. I however believe the man doesn't vote to fund 2-1 without the stipulation in it that says Appalachia gets a gym and I don't see how any sensible thinking person could think he would. I also don't see how any sensible person could ascertain that the board of supervisors mandating how a school board operates is not illegal. If you want to disagree with those opinions, feel free. FWIW, I think it goes to court and the judge ignores Lundsford comments just to end this entire mess.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VHSLhelper View Post
    So, instead, they'll send 'em to a consolidated school in lee, or a consolidated school in D'son?
    No, the people of Big Stone Gap and Appalachia will send their kids to John I. Burton. What a lot of people seem to forget or ignore is the fact that students by a wide margin who live on the Lee/Wise county border that are closer to PV go to PV while many students in St. Paul go to Castlewood. By and large, people are not going to pass one public school to attend another unless the benefits are substantial and I don't see that being the case in a 2-1 scenario.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Why would people from BSG and Appy pass up a good school at Norton (run by a school board that cares about kids) to go to this mess? Norton stands to get a large increase in state funding. Might be just one school and a school carcass on one site!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BAMA MAN View Post
    Why would people from BSG and Appy pass up a good school at Norton (run by a school board that cares about kids) to go to this mess? Norton stands to get a large increase in state funding. Might be just one school and a school carcass on one site!
    Norton will get involved with this mess, they have no choice. They are being offered too much of an incentive not to enter into it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pvfan View Post
    I agree that it will be up to a judge to decide. The AG was just stating what the LAW is. He didn't say they broke any laws. Now, if you choose to believe that Fred Lundsford didn't mandate how the money was to be spent that is your opinion. I however believe the man doesn't vote to fund 2-1 without the stipulation in it that says Appalachia gets a gym and I don't see how any sensible thinking person could think he would. I also don't see how any sensible person could ascertain that the board of supervisors mandating how a school board operates is not illegal. If you want to disagree with those opinions, feel free. FWIW, I think it goes to court and the judge ignores Lundsford comments just to end this entire mess.

I didn't read the whole thing and was just going off of the quotes posted. As such what I said would stand because he didn't say, "the laws states".......he said "it is my opinion". What Luntsford said was that he wouldn't vote for any plan that didn't include a gym for Appy primary. So they could stick that rider onto any of the proposed options 2-1, 3-1, 3-3 whatever and he would vote for it.

while many students in St. Paul go to Castlewood
    Do you mean many SP students would go to CW or that they do now? Just a little FWI at least 50-60% of SP's current enrollment live in Russell County and should be going to CW anyway.
    [COLOR="Lime"][SIZE="6"][FONT="Century Gothic"]CREAG AN TUIRC[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/mm38nut/thkfc.gif[/img]