Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Do we not respect other opinions here?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wink

*bans Dion*

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool

* goes straight back to white board and bans Peeks *

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Andyman:
    I personally don't know which is worse, the person doing the baiting or the person who knowingly takes the bait. It takes two sides to start an argument (civil or otherwise). Some of us forget that we all have the power to ignore someone else.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">*takes the bait*

*wonders who signed in on Andyman's account because this made too much damn sense to be him*

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

LOL!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!

Who gives a flying fuck, HC get over yourself if you're not happy with the way things are around here leave, simple as that.

Most of us are happy with the way things are run and done around here, and the majority will "allways" rule.

Stop rocking the boat or get out please. [img]smile.gif[/img]

*This thread will self lock in 10 seconds*

<font color="#cd6600" size="1">[ March 17, 2005 06:04 PM: Message edited by: Guitardeth? ]</font>

Inactive Member Halitosis Crunch's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Please read what i've said. I've already addressed this shit.

And the stuff that I say is a virtual duplicate of the things I say in the "real" world. No internet ego.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Halitosis Crunch:
    Please read what i've said. I've already addressed this shit.

And the stuff that I say is a virtual duplicate of the things I say in the "real" world. No internet ego.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Im tired of reading your post HC, you just don't want to understand, or try to, so what's the point.

Im done reading and posting in here, Peeker TCM or sculp, Locker her up when you're done guys. [img]wink.gif[/img]
    [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

*kicks Dion square in the nads* ....just in case your talking about me beeatch [img]wink.gif[/img]

now tell me why S27 smells so bad

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Andyman:
    I personally don't know which is worse, the person doing the baiting or the person who knowingly takes the bait. It takes two sides to start an argument (civil or otherwise). Some of us forget that we all have the power to ignore someone else.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If I ignore you does that make you ignorant...or me?

I honestly find it very difficult to discern when someone is baiting an argument and trying to get a rise out of people from when they're just being honest yet obtuse to other's feelings. I guess that's why I wouldn't make a good moderator. Personally, I don't take offense in either case.

For my own conduct, I know full well that I can come across as an asshole - sometimes it's intentional, but most often I'm just being me. And while being true to myself is one thing, some may like who I am and some may not. In this thread I've thrown the word "friend" around quite a bit, but to further clarify I must confess that I don't like everyone who posts here. There again, that's just me. I gaurantee not everybody likes me, either. Often, I consider these factors when I post. I think about the relevance of what I have to say. I think about what effect it may have on those who read it, especially in the context of what may have already been said. I do consider potential conflict, but I don't necessarily seek to avoid it. I am sometimes reactionary - whether that's good or bad is a matter of someone else's opinion. For that matter, anything any of us submits is subjective and fair game for whatever ridicule or praise our peers dare to ellicit, and this notion is on my mind everytime I hover my mouse over the "Add Reply" button. Honestly, for every two posts I submit there is usually one that I don't. I don't always have to share my opinion even after I spent ten minutes constructing my thoughts and typing them. I don't always like what I have to say. I like even less of what I think. Do any of these considerations make me a better person? No. For that matter, sharing this post will not likely help anyone else, either.

My point is, no matter what you have to say or how you say it, expect only that individuals - some of the same mind, some completely different - will read what you have to say, and form their own opinions about the subject and you. Some will agree. Some will not. And whether you care to hear it or not, they're apt to give your their opinion right back. That is what makes a forum. I've now reiterated the obvious.

Apart from that, no one ever did define the standards of decency for me as I requested in my first post of this thread. What is taboo here? Is this to be strictly a toy forum? Are OT threads a no-no? Do threads about bombings in Spain, new guitars, or Bea Arthur's Broadway show belong here any more than a bare tit belongs in a Super Bowl halftime show?

Does the bus driver have a big butt?

Now, Guitardeth on the other hand is taking the matter to flame war status. When you give up and say, "if you don't like it, leave," you're giving in. You're not taking what's said at face value, and you're taking it too personally. From Hoffman's very first post in this thread, I can't recall having read one post that openly criticizes the mods. Some of us are reading too much into this discussion, and are taking offense where none is intended. Dion has his way of moderating Spawn.com, but his comments here haven't added anything helpful. Let's get back to the original issue: pre-emptive thread locking - avoiding foreseen conflict.

Let me pause at this point to state that I am not intentionally baiting a heated argument.

Here are the facts: in the last two weeks (approx.) at least two OT threads have been locked out without any perceived direct hatefulness or "flaming." Moderators indeed have the perogative to lock threads, and in one instance this was done at the request of the thread's author. No problem, right? Now, some may think this is an unnecessary approach to censorship, while others applaud the action. Again, even the actions of those in a "custodial" role here are subjective. Does that mean we have any less right to discuss it? Does that mean that our right to discuss it outweighs another's right to express disaproval of our want to discuss it? Does their right to express their disaproval outweigh our right to offer a reactive rebuttal to said expression? (I'm being serious, really) The answers should be No No and NO. Does this mean that a mod can't say NO to the whole mess from the getgo? No again.

By pointing out the rift that apparently not only TCM has against HC, have I forfeited any right I have to express my opinion? No. If it has and I find that I don't like it, maybe I'll leave. Would you?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'll let it go for now, cause there's some pretty funny stuff in here if you can wade through the BS.