Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

*a gleam of joy beams off Lil Mel's face as she dances around the room holding her precious copy of Child of Rage* Hey guys! Guess who got her mail today!? MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Darth, I do know that these so-called reality shows came from Europe, but I doubt that Survivor became such a phenomenon in the country of it's origin. On the other hand, considering how seriously people take soccer in some countries, maybe it was.

Is it just me, or is this country becoming more and more fascinated with things that could kill you or at least cause lasting harm? I mean, even if you take out Survivor, you'll notice that the shows and things we like are becoming more violent and sensational.

Take at look at Nascar. Nascar instituted regulations that slowed down the cars under the guise of making the races safer, but what it was really intended to bunch the faster, better cars up with the slower ones, thereby making the race more exciting and dangerous. This why there have been so many deaths in recent months, most notably Dale Earnhardt.

Couple that with the popularity of extreme sports and you wonder where our brains are at. If you look at the other end of the sensational spectrum you'll find Temptation Island, then you'll know where are our brains are at.

Sex and violence has always been such a guaranteed ratings getter, even before there were ratings. :rolleyes

Actually, quoting Buffy was an unintended irony. I'll admit that Buffy is a big piece of mass market culture, but it's certainly better than 90% of what is targeted at teens. Personally I worry about a generation that considers Britney Spears to be a role model. So, it always relieves me when characters like Buffy and Xena and even Charlie's Angels get the spotlight. (Yes, I know the movie sucked, but I think it's step forward when women can make action movies that suck just as much as the guys' movies.)

It's also why I'm so happy to have comics like SIP around that treat both men and women with respect and compassion. smile

Cool for you Lil Mel. Now, how about hooking the rest of us up? biggrin

*hugs 5cats back* Thanks. I always appreciate hugs from multiple cats. smile

As native Minnesotan Garrison Keillor said: "You have to have a sense of humor when you live in a place where every year, nature makes a pretty serious attempt to kill you." wink

Congrats on snagging yet another SIP convert. Soon we shall be legion, and then we can begin the final offensive and take over the world! AH HA HA HA HA ACK *coughs*

Uh sorry, that was something else I'm working on, heh heh. redface You didn't read that. No really. Look into my eyes. You are getting very sleeeepy...

------------------
    Our generation is realistic, for we have come to know Man as he really is. After all, Man is that being who invented the gas chambers of Aushwitz. However, he is also that being who entered those gas chambers upright, with the Lord's Prayer, or the Shama Yisrael on his lips. -- Viktor E. Frankl, psychologist, founder of Logotherapy, and concentration camp survivor.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The great thing about the SiP store is I ordered my 'CoR' on the 5th and got it on the 8th, which is my 'Friday'.

(I work at a Museum and we have different days off because some us have to work on the weekends too.)

That makes the SiP store faster than Amazon.Com!

------------------
    Do you ever shut up? -Tambi

Here comes trouble. -Callisto

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb

Getting back to the reality show craze - (don't you just love all the bad acting?? Oops, it's not supposed to be acting, is it??)I think the people on these shows are really just mutants from distant galaxies, who came here to Earth to entertain us humanoids. Why, you may ask? Because nothing on this planet interests us anymore! If it weren't for these (dare I say it) enlightened beings, we would probably still be trapped in the stone age! (Shudder)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123