Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: AMELIE

  1. #31
    eddie
    Guest eddie's Avatar

    Post

    Hi Chance, thanks for asking.

    Its Halloween, two years since part one.
    Not this weekend, maybe next weekend. Whenever I can arrange it. Ill send you an invite!

    Take it easy

    ------------------

  2. #32
    Inactive Member twister!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2001
    Posts
    1,034
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Amelie is a very good film. It's not great but is very good. The opening sequences are about as good as film gets - I thought I was watching the best film I'd ever seen for the first 20 minutes smile Absolutely wonderful! And definitely one of this year's best.

    I think pigeon-holing films by saying 'urgh it's got subtitles' or 'urgh it's French' etc etc is terrible. A good film is a good film and there is a whole world of them out there. One of life's most important messages is to keep an open mind - do so and enjoy.

    ------------------


    [This message has been edited by twister! (edited October 31, 2001).]

  3. #33
    eddie
    Guest eddie's Avatar

    Post

    Quote from Amelie:

    A-'Life is a rehearsal for a play that never gets shown'

    B-'Thats a good line, you must have stolen it from someone else.'

    A-'I have had some original thoughts of my own you know.'


    ------------------

  4. #34
    eddie
    Guest eddie's Avatar

    Post

    s'funny, Saw Moulin Rouge the other day too, and that was very similar in pace to Amelie:
    The first 20 minutes or so of both were utterly brilliant. Fast furious, making the point left right and centre, utterly watcheable and transfixing, and then both films slowed down, leaving the centre section a bit of a let down, but to sort of pick up toward the end.
    Now Id like to see a real film with the style, energy and humour of the beginning of both these movies extended to 90 minutes.
    Something like Tetsuo, Body Hammer (Japan Horror) but made with cash and not pocket money.

    ------------------

  5. #35
    Inactive Member Matt J Heaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2000
    Posts
    430
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica, sans serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Despin entertainment:
    Hey there.

    Your missing out big time mate. Dont you like John Woo or Jakie chan movies. Shit what about Akira Kurosawa. Yojimbo is an awsome movie. If its just the sound of dialog you like maybe you should get into radio.

    Despin out.

    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    I'm not missing out because I've seen many of those films. I just don't enjoy them as much as if I could understand the language.

    I don't particularly like John Woo's flashy gunfights style but I like a lot of Kong Kong movies that I've seen.

    I don't just like the sound of dialogue. I just find it a major part of my movie enjoyment.


    And I agree, some people seem to cling to that old stereotype of not liking subtitles = classless philistine. Its funny.


    ------------------

  6. #36
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think Amelie's most endearing and enduring quality is Amelie herself. Most guys would like her for a girlfriend, most girls might want to be her friend. That makes the movie fun to watch, and she has those full wide eyes you can dive into.

    Something else about the movie, the way events unfold was for the most part fun. It seemed as if the easiest tasks took great effort to achieve, and that again, created a light, giggily feel among the audience as we watched the movie.

    Perhaps this is one of those movies that works well off of the audience that is watching it, yet it probably makes a good stay at home DVD date kind of a movie.

    I personally think she could have done better in her choice of mates. [img]wink.gif[/img]

  7. #37
    Inactive Member belovedmonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 6th, 2003
    Posts
    554
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ive yet to see his earlier french works, but Leon is one of my fave movies of all time. Almost wept last time i watched it.

    As for the subtitle thing, i dont think it detracts if the film is good enough. If the film is average then its just another reason not to get into it and enjoy it.

    Does anyone else think Woo's movies are totaly over rated? I do [img]graemlins/thumbs_down.gif[/img]

  8. #38
    Inactive Member Generic Skinhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 12th, 2001
    Posts
    1,009
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This thread is amazingly odd. I didn't know that Woo's movies were well thought of anyway.

  9. #39
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yes, I too was surprised at the "divergent" nature of it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •