Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This thread is the reason that the SOS board should stay and I'm sorry that I recently doubted it's value and worth. This sort of conversation is what's really needed on his official board - free ranging and a true reflection of people's opinions, different or otherwise, and without anyone resorting to sarcasm or hostility. It's a lesson that people like Maggz & the admin and (some of) the mods on his official board would do well to learn.

I agree entirely with what mlue has said, as I usually do. It's a shame that her voice is not heard (or is not allowed to be heard) more often in official realms as she is undoubtedly the voice of reason and always makes complete sense. [img]smile.gif[/img]

<font color="#1175B5" size="1">[ March 26, 2006 04:38 AM: Message edited by: Twizzle ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Twizzle:
    This thread is the reason that the SOS board should stay and I'm sorry that I recently doubted it's value and worth. This sort of conversation is what's really needed on his official board - free ranging and a true reflection of people's opinions, different or otherwise, and without anyone resorting to sarcasm or hostility. It's a lesson that people like Maggz & the admin and (some of) the mods on his official board would do well to learn.

I agree entirely with what mlue has said, as I usually do. It's a shame that her voice is not heard (or is not allowed to be heard) more often in official realms as she is undoubtedly the voice of reason and always makes complete sense. [img]smile.gif[/img]

<font color="#1175B5"><font size="1">[ March 26, 2006 04:38 AM: Message edited by: Twizzle ]</font></font>
    <font size="3" face="Tempus sans ITC, Papyrus,Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree completly. Whilst often I consider myself a bit hotheaded and prone to an irrational outburst through pure annoyance and anger. I tend to think Mlue and many others are very levelheaded and the voice of reason thus if they speak I cannot possibly see how their posts would be deemed worthy of causing a locking. I really think his fanbase misses out on soo much interesting conversation in their efforts to be "postive" Infact this postive regime has in effect brought about the most divided controlled manipulate micromanaged fanbase I have ever seen.

Kat

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Kattitude:
    ... Infact this postive regime has in effect brought about the most divided controlled manipulate micromanaged fanbase I have ever seen.

Kat
    <font size="3" face="Tempus sans ITC, Papyrus,Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">*adds 'and frightened' to that list*

Frightened of standing up for themselves, frightened as being perceived as 'bad fans', frightened that DH himself will somehow note their misdemeanors and place a mental check mark against their names, frightened that the uber-fan(s) will come down on them like a ton of bricks....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've just watched John Farnham belt out 'You're the Voice' and it so made me think of this topic

'You're the voice try and understand it
    Make a noise and make it clear
    Whoa oh oh
    We're not gonna live in silence
    We're not gonna live in fear
    Whoa oh oh

This time
    We know we all can stand together
    We have the power to be powerful
    Believing we can make it better'

and as for DH and his responsibility...well he is responsible for those employed to represent him so yes as far as I'm concerned indirectly he is responsible for those ppl facilitating the power of certain fans.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Twizzle:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Tempus sans ITC, Papyrus,Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="3" face="Tempus sans ITC, Papyrus,Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Kattitude:
    ... Infact this postive regime has in effect brought about the most divided controlled manipulate micromanaged fanbase I have ever seen.

Kat
    <font size="3" face="Tempus sans ITC, Papyrus,Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">*adds 'and frightened' to that list*

Frightened of standing up for themselves, frightened as being perceived as 'bad fans', frightened that DH himself will somehow note their misdemeanors and place a mental check mark against their names, frightened that the uber-fan(s) will come down on them like a ton of bricks....
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="3" face="Tempus sans ITC, Papyrus,Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Oh yeah forgot that one.. I agree! They are scared that he will think less of them or that his pocket people will say they are "bad fans".

Kat

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thank you all for showing me a lot of understanding. It really is comforting to have at least one place where you can have a balanced, respectful, and thoughtful conversation about Darren, without everything being so one-sided. Again, I didn't even know my original post had been deleted until I saw Steen's comment here. This has happend to me once before and I did'nt ask. I'm very hurt now, but not surprized. I found out from Ema that Tracey had deleted it and this time I will ask her and I'm just moving on from all of this. Being apart of this supposed "online fan community" is just pointless to me now. That saying about the definition of insanity is repeating an action over and over but expecting a different result... That is exactly what this feels like, especially being stupid enough to go back to public board. It's very sad and painful to feel this way because as Barb said he does have a unique talent. Thats is exactly what makes leaving it behind completely so hard to do, I just haven't been able to [img]graemlins/cry_smile.gif[/img] About the touring I wish more people would realize what you said Kat, that it is one thing to know intellectually that not everything is within Darren's control, but emotionally it's still difficult... it doesn't necessarily make it easier to deal with. I too often wonder how someone who projects such sensitivity and compassion can attract some of the people he does. I do wonder how much Darren knows, and what it take for things to really change [img]frown.gif[/img] I think Steen is right maybe he'll actually have to see it happen right in front of him. It's all so ironic, He projects this idea of kindness, compassion yet there is such meanspirited-ness, and anti- censorship/ self expression issue while fans on his official board are expected to shut up, be happy, and never say anything "negative". I just want nothing more to do with any of this [img]frown.gif[/img]

<font color="#1175B5"><font size="1">[ March 26, 2006 09:10 AM: Message edited by: little bird ]</font></font>

<font color="#1175B5" size="1">[ March 26, 2006 09:12 AM: Message edited by: little bird ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Its been a long time since I've posted here (i had the link to this board in my links page at my homepage).... and one of my very good friends told me about this post, and its taken me a while to read it through properly and reflect on it before I made my reply.
    I understand the frustration of those who may never get to see Darren tour in their countries... I am in the states where we haven't had a proper tour since the SG Affirmation days...
    ...I know i've done some whining in the past but i've gotten past that, and accepted the fact that many Americans do not have good taste in music - just look at the American charts and listen to some American radio - there isnt much good on it these days - most of the good stuff was in the past.. Good thing for buying music online as alot of it is hard to find here or too expensive in some stores....
    Regarding the debate going on at the Darren forums...I am personally sick of a few people constantly being negative about Darren's appearances where they live..... that person should try being in the states where in the past years since the SG split in 2001 we have had few tv/radio stuff, the SPIN cd being promoted poorly, TTATS never released, 3 small gigs (2 in 2002 and the Tsumani benefit in 2005) where Darren shared the bill with other artists & was able to do a max of 6 songs at each, and 3 cities got listening parties for TTATS in 2004.
    I wish there was more good debate on the DH forums regarding certain topics like touring & promotion efforts without a few people being overly negative about things then the posts often turn nasty and end up getting locked and/or deleted...
    ...Also i would like to see other fans becoming mods or bring in people who have nothing to do with the fan base to moderate the boards.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

*chuckles a bit*...seeing as the thread was locked I'll have to make my additional comments here in the uncensored world.

You gotta love the fact that Maggz & Ema got their comments in and then it gets locked. And interesting to note that both Spinner & Laurie were around when I made the post that led to Maggz & Ema's disagreement and they didn't lock it.

And while I understand that the originator probably is annoying, that is no excuse for the behavior that followed. And interestingly enough no moderator locked it for that but it gets locked when alternative opinions are stated. What a joke.

Gotta say...I will never respect a single comment that Darren ever makes re: censorship and I've lost respect for the comments he's made regarding expressing yourself. If he truly believed it, his board wouldn't be run the way it is. It really is appalling the way they let that board be moderated. It really is a horrible reflection on him.

Perhaps he didn't want to be anybody's hero but it sure is hard to tell that from the way his online fan world is run. Should he ever achieve the success I truly hope for him, I just have to hope they never show up in his online world. That place will drive away fans faster than he can gain them.

He's never going to be taken seriously in the music world with that fanbase behind him (and I know they aren't all looney but the looney ones are the ones that give the place its image). We all know that the media and dj's check out that stuff. He'll never get airplay with that kind of fanbase. Its sad because he is far more talented than many that make it on the radio.

And thats what I have to say about that....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by -mlue-:
    *chuckles a bit*...seeing as the thread was locked I'll have to make my additional comments here in the uncensored world.

You gotta love the fact that Maggz & Ema got their comments in and then it gets locked. And interesting to note that both Spinner & Laurie were around when I made the post that led to Maggz & Ema's disagreement and they didn't lock it.

And while I understand that the originator probably is annoying, that is no excuse for the behavior that followed. And interestingly enough no moderator locked it for that but it gets locked when alternative opinions are stated. What a joke.

Gotta say...I will never respect a single comment that Darren ever makes re: censorship and I've lost respect for the comments he's made regarding expressing yourself. If he truly believed it, his board wouldn't be run the way it is. It really is appalling the way they let that board be moderated. It really is a horrible reflection on him.

Perhaps he didn't want to be anybody's hero but it sure is hard to tell that from the way his online fan world is run. Should he ever achieve the success I truly hope for him, I just have to hope they never show up in his online world. That place will drive away fans faster than he can gain them.

He's never going to be taken seriously in the music world with that fanbase behind him (and I know they aren't all looney but the looney ones are the ones that give the place its image). We all know that the media and dj's check out that stuff. He'll never get airplay with that kind of fanbase. Its sad because he is far more talented than many that make it on the radio.

And thats what I have to say about that....
    <font size="3" face="Tempus sans ITC, Papyrus,Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Mlue you always manage to state things so well. I dont think I could of expressed it better and I have made numerous attempts LOL.

You nailed it with how they moderate that board.. Because to me he is responsible for how he is represented online.. The type of moderation and contempt for others *some* of them show is condoned and endorsed by him. He cannot be seperate from it. The way the board is run is by people of HIS choosing who do things in a manner that he himself endorses. I just dont get it at all and thats why I think I never got him at all. All his song sentiments and such as I said to Terry in a PM have lost a lot of meaning to me because this is the way he represents himself thus he is actually like that?

Kat

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

*hugs Tamara* Stay here then or come to the SG BBS, the public board is what it is and you'll be happier staying here and you can still keep up on Darren news because kind people like Janie and so keep us updated pretty freqeuntly ^_^

I'm sorry you didn't know your post was deleted, but don't worry i once had three whole threads deleted in the span of ten minutes [img]wink.gif[/img] No one beats my record! AND i was also scolded in PM as well, no less! *g*

Kat it's entirely possible that Darren is given a convincing spin as to why fans are bullied on the board, that it's "for their own good" or something. I mean, it's not like we are ever contacted to give our side of why we started "causing trouble" or "being negative" so who knows how these kinds of incidents are described or rationalized? *chuckle*

And it's funny because we talk about the press thinking poorly because of the board and i've seen that arguement used on both sides yet i still have never read an article that mentioned us ever. Hell, we don't even make Fandom Wank! LOL And flaming and fighting happens on every board, as we were discussing in terms of BJ, so it's not like we stand out in that regard LOL

I agree about the frightened part, i remember when i was modding on the Sony board and i'd get these really timid requests to say things or make posts that i had absolutely no problem with LOL And it wasn't like they touched on the guidelines either, the people were generally just concerned that Laurie or i would somehow frown on them for "content" reasons LOL I was like "where did you get the idea i'd be mad?" LOL