Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How did they mutilate Angel Sanctuary? For one thing, I was surprised that they kept the fact that Sara and Setsuna were siblings, I thought for sure that they would change that.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I like Tokyopop waaaaaaay better!!!
    Viz is just too expensive here! They go over the 20 euro! >_<
    I really wanted to have Angel Sanctuary but hearing you speak about it, I'm starting to have doubts... Should I just buy the Japanese version? How did Viz mutilate Angel Sanctuary?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Tokyopop....I dunno why, Viz is more exspensive...but they seem to have grabbed Yuki Kaori's work...*hopes they don't do Count Cain* They squish the art so small....you don't get to have the full pleasure of the pictures...and...meh...I dunno why I don't like Viz so much...the other is just so user friendly...lol even though I can't say Tokyopop has done a GREAT job on Gravitation....lol, since when do refereances of PUNK'D and Donnie Darko come into Gravitation...?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The Crystal Gryphon, thanks very much for the contact info. I'm sending a letter to Tokyopop.

But, eh... I've never written a letter to anyone before e.e;

So.... would anyone know how much stamps it would take to get a letter from New York to California...?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The thing about both companys is that there changing due to consumer wants.

In the old days of orginal print ranma they cost 15.95 and were published by viz, in fact i'm pretty sure viz was around before tokyopop.
    Mangas were bigger, and more expenisive.

But now mangas are smaller...most the time. They cost less due to the smaller size, but the size limits detail often.

Personaly i like tokyo pop better, but thats due to there selection of mangas, though i am angery at them for making me buy clover in 4 volumes that could of easily fit into one normal sized book

And its true viz did edit out a ciggeret, but HnG is realsed in shonen jump which is targets at young boys, so i can see why they did it. to prevent lawsuits.

viz is more know for its editing the tokyo pop, but mind you Tokyo pop edited genders in Wish, the angels were neuter gender but they made them female despite the lack of chests/boobs.

i am a bit worried since viz is reaseing YnM. i fear for the St. Micheals chapter greatly. But since Gravitations and Fake 7s relase i dought there will be much editing.
    if girls can get yaoi smutt from one company but its edited out in another, Who will make the most money?

And as for fliped? They only reason we got flipped mangas was due to thats what fans wanted, it was orginaly produed flipped due to the gerneral mass wouldn't of understood it not being flipped.I still remember the first time i bought a flipped manga, i opened it wrong. Thankfully now adays they have the lovely little warning ^^;
    As time goes buy, censor ship has lessened, titals have broadend, and while there are slip up (such as wish) i think both companys have grown alot, though its seems Tokyo pop has been more willing to take risks as they were the first to publish unflipped and hardcore shonen-ai seires.

i like tokyo pop better, but really its a matter of titals to me. The produce what i want to read, i do read some viz titals but i'm still pissed off that my ranma and inuyahsa collection is goign to be two different sizes damn it

Oh...sorry for the long post ^^;;;;;;

<font color="#660033" size="1">[ August 09, 2004 03:04 PM: Message edited by: ash neko-ru ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

HaNeul : http://www.usps.com/consumers/domestic.htm , or ask at your local post office. (Can't be of more help than that--I'm not in the US.)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

FYI: Before Tokyopop started calling itself Tokyopop, they were Mixx (that is, the people sometimes accused of completely screwing up the Sailor Moon manga).

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

While I know that Viz isn't great either, I still have a grudge against Tokyopop. I remember their Mixx publishing, and the ones that I had were horrible. The bindings fell apart, (This happened to more people than just me. Someone I know who is very good to her books had pages coming out of her Sorceror Hunters. ) and the printing was randomly horrible.

Actually, the only thing I liked about Mixx was Smile magazine- which they canceled.

It seems to me that Tokyopop -did- take a risk, but, it seems like they took a risk because they were running out of business due to their quality.
    Of course, I could be wrong, this was just a guess.

Anyway, now Tokyopop is better. I don't mind buying from them, and I'm actually glad that they pulled the prices down. Viz just seems to have done a better job on my favorite series, (CCS is a favorite! Oh, wait. Tokyopop did that horribly. -__-; )and they also have my favorite manga magazine. ( [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Animerica Extra!)

Overall, I'd pick Viz for quality. I don't think Tokyopop is bad anymore, I'm just still wary of putting money towards them. Oh, I just wanted to point out that on the flipping, Mixx did the very same thing.

Anyway, I'd say for right now they are equal, however biased my post may seem. Of course, there are a few other manga companies as well, like Dark Horse.

-Sorry for the long post. I feel strongly about the quality of my books. ^__^; Thank you, if you read this.
    Agawa.

EDIT:
    Originally posted by ash neko-ru:
    i think both companys have grown alot, though its seems Tokyo pop has been more willing to take risks as they were the first to publish unflipped and hardcore shonen-ai seires.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wasn't "Banana Fish" shounen-ai? I may be mistaken though...
    Banana Fish was published by VIZ a long time ago.

Synopsis of Banana Fish
    Viz's ordering list, for Banana Fish #1. It's since been reprinted.

Banana Fish was printed in English in 1998, according to VIZ. It was printed in the adult manga magazine "PULP". PULP is no longer running- I believe that Banana Fish is now running in Animerica Extra.

Oh! Thanks for the post, ash neko-ru! I just wanted to post the thing about Banana Fish, as it's very often overlooked. Please tell me if I was incorrect.

<font color="#660033" size="1">[ August 16, 2004 01:17 AM: Message edited by: Agawa ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

its seems as if viz's ratings systems are screwed up. as in, Hana-Kimi is rated for older teens when it really should be for younger audiances. Tokoyopop has, i think a much more liberal ratings system than Viz. Take Kare kano for example, though it lives up to its rating of 13+ for most of the time but there is occasionaly sex in the book. I just dont see how Viz can lable Saikano as mature but leave ceres and fushigi yugi alone. there is basically nothing in it. Thankfully, none of the ratings apply to me, not that i would care if they did though. ^_^

Inactive Member
    Viz vs. Tokyopop

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ahhhhhhh the great debate of official english distribution...

Frankly... I don't TRUST Tokyopop... I was enjoying the Gravitation manga until I found a site that had the original text translated into english... reading the official english version after that almost made me ill... But then they come out with Fruits Basket, which as far as I can tell, is really close to the scanlation I read. Something that irked me when I first read it was the scene where Tohru tells Kyo how much she likes the Cat. In the anime it's translated as "Really Like" in the scanlation I read it was "Really like" but the Tokyopop version translated it as "Love" it completely threw me off, but it's a big bonus for Kyo X Tohru fans I guess. I'm pretty sure the original japanese term was "Daisuki". But otherwise I love what they do with what I read, as long as I don't know all the differences from the original, it's fine. I hear that "Eerie Queerie" was originally titled "Ghost" but I can understand the name change... isn't "Ghost" already an american manga or something?

And I collect one Viz series: Please Save My Earth. I absolutely adore it. From looking at PSME alone I say I really like Viz, but I'll have to look into other titles first... But I can say right now that I trust Viz. I have seen nothing that makes me want to strangle them... we'll see what I think of what they do to Yami no Matsuei though.

My big beef about TokyoPop is that they seem to be like "Oh, this is popular... let's give it to someone to translate" and then they don't care about being consistant with the authenticity of their work because they are so authentic with Furuba (They have Yuki call Ayame Nii-san!) but they completely rearrange the context of Gravitation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast