-
August 18th, 2004, 10:57 PM
#21
Senior Hostboard Member
>So when will the new 311-90's with the large pot casting be available?
====
This makes no sense to me, I believe he's referring to the 290's rear chamber 'enclosure'.
====
>Also, Who will be macking the 311-90s?
====
Nobody AFAIK so you'll have to get the 311s wherever you can.
====
>since these seem so hard to find does anyone have commments on the 1003B or 1803B horns versus the 311? sound quality? disadvantages?
====
The only comparison is that there is no comparison. The big horns load much lower so sound much better in the lower BW, but the trade-off is reduced HF response, plus they don't sound as articulate up high due to the comb filtering between cells, though they have better off axis response, so pick your trade-offs. Of the two, the 1803 would be my choice since it has more/smaller cells, allowing some HF off axis response control by plugging cells with various foam densities, while maintaining at least as much bottom end as the 1005. Not to mention they look awesome.
====
>....where I talked about the sound of the 805-B
====
Early on I had these on 210s (laid on their sides), but quickly swapped them for 511B/802 for my HIFI app since the HF response was unacceptable. I hated giving up the more robust lower mids of the larger horn/driver, but didn't want to go three way at the time. If I had the $$ I would have gotten some 1803s, but by the time I could afford them I had tweaked both horns so much I didn't figure it was worth it overall.
GM
-
August 18th, 2004, 10:58 PM
#22
Inactive Member
311 DO seem to be the ticket for the k-horn project but SO hard to find...if you did find someone to cast them I suspect we could get about a dozen people to order them, assumin gthe pirce was not outrageous (a bit above what they fetch on ebay I guess would be right). let me know what you find out about "new" 311-90's regards, tony
-
August 18th, 2004, 11:00 PM
#23
Inactive Member
GM,
I love the look of 1803 horns! but they come up very rarely and are rather large (lowering SAF)...I guess I will keep looking for some 311-90s...regards, tony
-
August 18th, 2004, 11:05 PM
#24
Senior Hostboard Member
The 311 series is a very straightforward design and easy enough to replicate in wood, so all that's needed is a few internal dims......
GM
-
August 18th, 2004, 11:15 PM
#25
Inactive Member
true...
if I was not all thumbs with wood I would try to make one...soldering iron? yes! saw, lathe? no!
I wonder whether q-man would lend me one? I could send it to Micheal Christ...he could make me a pair...
oh never mind, I will wait till some vintage ones come up on ebay...or someone decides to cast some "new" ones...lol
warm regards, tony
-
September 15th, 2004, 11:43 AM
#26
Inactive Member
Originally posted by Q-Man:
Any answers to the above question?
Also, Who will be macking the 311-90s? Can you tell me who to contact.
I have four of them now and I need two more for my home theater.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
-
September 15th, 2004, 11:50 AM
#27
Inactive Member
Originally posted by Q-Man:
Any answers to the above question?
Also, Who will be macking the 311-90s? Can you tell me who to contact.
I have four of them now and I need two more for my home theater.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">In response to the questions regarding aftermarket Altec 311-90's; I make wooden horns that I replicate using an original 311-90 as a template. Can also do the 511 and 811 out of hardwood. If anyone is interested, you can get me at [email protected]. Thanks
-
September 16th, 2004, 11:23 PM
#28
Inactive Member
I would be concerned about the weight of a 290 compression driver hanging off of a wooden horn (it weighs about 40lbs).
-
September 17th, 2004, 12:48 PM
#29
Inactive Member
John, I guess the trick is to support the 290...I would imagine a wooden "cradle" half moon one side flat the other would sit under the driver to keep it up....I have sent this guy a note asking for pricing, let's see what happens, I have not found any 311-90s available on the market yet...regards, tony
-
September 17th, 2004, 09:58 PM
#30
Inactive Member
Hi Tony - I sent you a return email with some pricing details and a few pictures of my work. You are correct with the supporting issue. In fact, any driver of that mass should be supported in my opinion. I can handle fashioning supports (same hardwood materials) without any foreseeable concerns. Again, if there might be anyone who is interested in Altec 811, 511, 311, Westlake diffraction horns or JBL 2397 style diffraction horns, please email me at [email protected] for pictures and details.
Kind Regards, Dean (Horncrazy)
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks