Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36

Thread: Dieting

  1. #11
    Inactive Member steer's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 3rd, 2002
    Location
    Bristol, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    3,872
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dieting

    yeah, i was just putting that on here for the sake of the younger generation that reads the board. That may be looking for some dieting/lifting tips.

  2. #12
    Inactive Member jtw61194's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2006
    Posts
    873
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dieting

    I always have to argue with the women at work about why diet and exercise should go hand-in-hand when they are "dieting." I know I freaked out when I started lifting. I went from 262 to 205 in about a year. Did nothing but run. I was running 4 miles a day 5-6 times a week. I started lifting and in about 4 months I was in the neighborhood of 230...and was still running 4 miles a day. I always tell them to not worry so much about the numbers as much as how they physically feel and how their clothes fit. In my opinion, eating properly is a good start, but exercise is the real key to shedding pounds or making the pounds more firm. I'm trying to drop 10-15. I say that, but I won't go near a scale. When my pants are nice and loose, I'll be happy.

  3. #13
    Inactive Member Craes's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2005
    Posts
    1,212
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dieting

    a good glass of ice water also will help...the human body works in odd ways, if you are thirsty and you don't drink something eventually your brain will say hey I am hungry...and with that many people will eat instead of just the thirst factor that initially brought the whole thing on. I for one think they should bottle the weight loss effects of divorce....would be a wonder weight loss program. I have lost 50 pounds and counting since August. No not the healthy way but I have been exercising and drinking things like gatorade and V8. I have a goal weight to hit, March is my goal date and we shall see if I get there. What sucks is.....I have lost all this weight now I need some clothes so people at work will quit calling me droopy pants LMAO.
    I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury.

  4. #14
    Inactive Member Hokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 22nd, 2006
    Posts
    197
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dieting

    wow craes congrats on the weight loss. I hope you make it to your goal!

  5. #15
    Inactive Member RaiderWahoo0105's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2004
    Posts
    625
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dieting

    Eating 4-5 times a day is the key to a good diet, keeps up the metabolism = false

    Keeping a constant elevation of calories in the blood stream will up regulate synthesis of fats in the body (I will profess I don't know much but I'm studying that RIGHT now). Our professors dispelled that myth yesterday.

    They tested this first in bears, and it's been shown in humans. Eating moderate portions for meals is key (I don't know calorie amounts just basics). Eating a healthy breakfast is key because that will keep your metabolism up for the whole day.

    Snacking (whether its healthy foods or not) will not help you lose weight. So once you know how many calories you want to eat in a day, divide those up accordingly, don't spread them out.
    Go Wahoos!
    Go Mounties!
    [img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a39/flipanova_7/Inferno.jpg[/img]

  6. #16
    Inactive Member jtw61194's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2006
    Posts
    873
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dieting

    You are studying this and I am not, but I think the extra meals are to prevent binge eating rather than losing weight. Spreading your caloric intake out over a longer period of time is better than taking it all in at once. I had never heard of the metabolic rate increasing due to more meals. Just what I have always been told.

  7. #17
    Inactive Member RaiderWahoo0105's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2004
    Posts
    625
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dieting

    That reasoning makes sense (as long as you can keep the calories of those snacks down), but he was speaking in reference to someone wanting to lose weight (more specifically body fat weight).

    Calories in blood = elevated insulin levels (unless you're type I diabetic) = the body will favor energy storage

    But I can understand your reasoning if you're trying to stave off massive feastings.
    Go Wahoos!
    Go Mounties!
    [img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a39/flipanova_7/Inferno.jpg[/img]

  8. #18
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dieting

    It's my opinion that Americans in general simply eat too many processed foods, processed sugar & white flour. Not enough whole grains, fruits & veggies, lean meats. Everything is breaded & fried, enhanced with sugars, too much soda, etc. We made the decision some time ago to remove unhealthy foods from our house. We've not purchased sodas in months.

    Add to that, a large number of overweight people try to blame something else, anything else for their weight issue. Gotta have surgery. Can't lose weight without surgery. You know what the surgery does? Restricts food intake & absorption. In a nutshell, you eat less with the privilege of feeling full. It's surgical willpower.

    Granted there are some that are morbidly obese that need drastic measures or die - they've gone too far to help themselves anymore, but the rest I don't understand.

    How many other countries do you see this issue in? Not many. American Samoa has the issue.. not many others. Americans are just too stuck on convenience foods.

    I see elementary school kids walking around with a 20 oz coke in their hands all day. You'd think their world ended if you gave them water to drink.

    Then you have some parents saying "well my kid doesn't drink pop I give him/her juice." That's no better. A kid needs only 8 ounces or less of fruit juice a day. The rest is unnecessary calories and the sugar will still rot teeth.
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  9. #19
    Inactive Member RaiderWahoo0105's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2004
    Posts
    625
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dieting

    Agree with you there completely, and in terms of nutritional health we're the laughing stock of the rest of the developed world (fact). I would also contend that we have some of the best food available at the lowest prices - you can see how expensive all food is in Europe and one could understand how that helps keep some people skinny over there (generic brands are also not very common, everything's brand name by our standards).

    Here in WV something that WVU's enacted that seems like a good idea (I attended something on this today) is that they are testing every 5th grader in the state (1.8 million total residents only - majority elderly) for blood glucose levels, triglycerides, cholesterol, etc...

    They're also getting rid of pop and snacks in the school.

    A big thing here is a lot of the poor families in the state don't really know what healthy food is (from the words of Governor Manchin) so they're making an effort to give out menus to kids for their families on kinds of foods families with differing weekly food budgets can buy to stay healthy.

    Statistics show the most severe cases of obesity are highly correlated to a low education level.

    So while a lot of people sit fat and happy in suburbs, some people just really didn't know better.

    I've been guilty of judging people by first appearance many times, but finding out the statistics made me feel some empathy for them.

    But back to the original point, some people just need to get off their [censored] and do something.
    Go Wahoos!
    Go Mounties!
    [img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a39/flipanova_7/Inferno.jpg[/img]

  10. #20
    Inactive Member RaiderWahoo0105's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2004
    Posts
    625
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dieting

    Oh and obesity ALONE costs the US taxpayers Billions when it comes to funding healthcare.
    Go Wahoos!
    Go Mounties!
    [img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a39/flipanova_7/Inferno.jpg[/img]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •