Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 36

Thread: Dieting

  1. #21
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dieting

    http://www.obesityinamerica.org/complications.html

    Complications of Obesity/Related Diseases Overweight and obese people are at an increased risk for developing the following conditions (in no particular order)
    <ul type="square"> [*]Type 2 (non-insulin dependent) diabetes [*]Cardiovascular disease [*]Stroke [*]Hypertension [*]hypothyroidism [*]Dyslipidemia [*]Hyperinsulinemia, insulin resistance, glucose intolerance [*]Congestive heart failure [*]Angina pectoris [*]Cholecystitis [*]Cholelithiasis [*]Osteoarthritis [*]Gout [*]Fatty liver disease [*]Sleep apnea and other respiratory problems [*]Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) [*]Fertility complications [*]Pregnancy complications [*]Psychological disorders [*]Uric acid nephrolithiasis (kidney stones) [*]Stress urinary incontinence [*]Cancer of the kidney, endometrium, breast, colon and rectum, esophagus, prostate and gall bladder [*]Death
    [/list]

    I can't say that "super-sizing" it is really worth any of that.
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  2. #22
    Inactive Member steer's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 3rd, 2002
    Location
    Bristol, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    3,872
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dieting

    when I say eating 4-5 times a day, I'm not saying complete meals. I'm saying you've got your three main meals. An apple, or some sort of fruit/veggie. Is what helps.
    Your professor may have claimed to be a myth etc, but it works for me. So, I guess everyone does work in different ways.
    Key to any weight loss, or dieting, is exercise and that's something we all can agree on [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/getsmile.tmp007816300.gif[/img]

  3. #23
    Inactive Member RaiderWahoo0105's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2004
    Posts
    625
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dieting

    and all those = expensive hospital bills

    it's a simple problem with a simple solution (a solution that we're finding out could be really cheap if we target the youth) - the governor also pointed out that a lot of safety programs WV's pointed have been successful because of little billy or susan telling mom or dad "you better buckle up" - God bless the youth

    the key is establishing a culture where people popularize the resolve to actually do what it takes to stay healthy
    Go Wahoos!
    Go Mounties!
    [img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a39/flipanova_7/Inferno.jpg[/img]

  4. #24
    Inactive Member jtw61194's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2006
    Posts
    873
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dieting

    When I teach nutrition to my students, their main project is keeping a food diary. I actually went away from them writing down what they had a breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I labeled their chart with times. So, they actually had to list all the snacks that came between meals. I still find it hard to believe how many kids do not eat breakfast. I can't live without it, anymore. There was a time when a Pop-Tart was sufficient, but my increase in physical activity made me change my ways.

    We have also gone away from soft drinks, candy snacks, etc. All our vending machines have to have a certain number of snacks meeting some kind of criteria. And they are all broken. I think that is part of the deal. Lunches are more healthy and they offer fresh fruit every day.

    I saw a report on why people from low socioeconomic, not necessarily low education, areas tend to have more problems with obesity. The foods that are more prevalent in their diets are the foods that are the cheapest. I don't know if any of you have looked, but fresh fruit and veggies get pretty outrageous at checkout and don't go very far.

    A lot needs to be done...by a lot of people.

  5. #25
    Inactive Member steer's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 3rd, 2002
    Location
    Bristol, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    3,872
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dieting

    I'll admit, missing breakfast is my biggest downfall.
    I just never make time for it.
    But I do think, breakfast needs to be the biggest meal, with lunch and dinner the smaller of the two.

  6. #26
    Inactive Member the_alienist's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 8th, 2006
    Posts
    597
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dieting

    [ QUOTE ]
    The foods that are more prevalent in their diets are the foods that are the cheapest. I don't know if any of you have looked, but fresh fruit and veggies get pretty outrageous at checkout and don't go very far.

    [/ QUOTE ]

    I was just talking with a friend of mine who is a social worker the other day about this fact. I am not placing all the blame on the store/manufacturers for setting the prices, but it's a whole lot cheaper (not to mention easier) to go and buy something fast food and not have to prepare it or to buy ramen noodles and mac-n-cheese.
    I make Machiavelli look like a weenie.

  7. #27
    Inactive Member Diets17's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2004
    Posts
    1,291
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dieting

    Im telling ya Steer...Rasin Bran!!... Its a life saver...

  8. #28
    Inactive Member jtw61194's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2006
    Posts
    873
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dieting

    Oatmeal is better, I think. I love Raisin Bran and Smart Start, but oatmeal seems to stick with you longer. I actually made an oatmeal smoothie one time. It was really good.

  9. #29
    Inactive Member Diets17's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2004
    Posts
    1,291
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dieting

    Yeah I like oatmeal too, but it seems like its too much effort that early! I just like to throw some raisin bran in a bowl w/ some skim milk. You can tell the difference...you feel good all day long.

  10. #30
    Inactive Member jtw61194's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2006
    Posts
    873
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dieting

    Totally agree. If I eat oatmeal, it's usually on a really cold day and I don't have to rush around. I usually make a protein shake and have a banana. At school, I will have my large mug of coffee (don't want any comments from the gurus) and will snack on baby carrots or Craisins until lunch.Lunch is always a salad. I usually do really well with my eating until about 10:30 at night. I work out from about 6:00-8:30 and then have a light dinner. That late night snack is really important and I've really had to watch what I eat. I've been eating peanuts lately and that seems to hold me over. I wish I was slender, again. This micromanagement really gets old.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •