Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 93

Thread: Dom....dom..dom

  1. #51
    Inactive Member CLWarunki's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 21st, 2004
    Posts
    1,475
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Angry

    For someone who dosen't make a living PLAYING the drums, I think Dom is damn good when he sits down at one. I can not believe the amount of negativity towards him here! I am in awe of this... Dom's message is nothing but positive, how could you NOT like the guy!?

  2. #52
    Inactive Member Graza's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 21st, 2004
    Posts
    57
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It seems to me that Dom's solos are extremely repetitive. At least from the few that I've seen. I am now even more interested to hear him play in a band setting. It doesn't have to be the video I was asking for, anyone will do. I have respect for what the man has accomplished, but currently I have no interest in his playing.

  3. #53
    Inactive Member Graza's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 21st, 2004
    Posts
    57
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Heres another solo, maybe you'll see what I mean. I think this video has been posted in the past.

    ftp://198.164.252.203/media/video/Dom.wmv

  4. #54
    Inactive Member mja61's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 15th, 2001
    Posts
    376
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for the clip, Benrand.

    I think that delicate cymbal tapping thing is about the corniest thing I've ever seen (at least the way he does it). Weckl does it, but in a hip way. I'm not a big fan of the dramatic pauses, either.

    On the plus side, he's got a really bad-ass way of hitting that main china cymbal that I dig....really shows it who's boss. He also does an intense Virgil-esque pattern around 2:50.

    I believe Brad said a while back that Dom has good burst speed. That's a good way to put it.

    I would like to see him solo with more form and musicality. His solos always seem to be just an endless cycle of doses of 64-th notes, breve rests, and cymbal taps. It's a shampoo-rinse-repeat approach that gets old in a hurry.

    He's got some funky chops and phasing ideas, but he "offsets" those with an equally big repertoire of corny licks.

    Dom's obviously got some technical/physical chops happening, but I've never heard him play with a band. For me, the importance of the band thing is this: I was a huge fan of Omar Hakim, Neil Peart, and Will Calhoun. I still am, but when I heard those three on the Buddy Rich Memorial Concerts, it took away a dimension of their "depth" as drummers. They sounded like they floundered on that gig, but Weckl, Gregg, Vinnie, Gadd, Smith, Smith, and Dennis all nailed it. I think that's the reason those guys are the drummers we're always talking about!!

  5. #55
    Inactive Member McKenzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 28th, 2003
    Posts
    531
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I do not care much for Dom's drumming( he does display some good chops at time's but overall it leave's me quickly bored) but he is one heck of a nice guy and is a postitive force for drumming. He stirs up passion within people to pursue their musical vision and goals and promotes not only music but doing it with Character and does not hesitate to sincerely Praise other drummer's who are worthy of it. There are relevant and important roles in the music world other than pounding the skin's.

    Dig

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 26, 2005 07:16 PM: Message edited by: Digital Man ]</font>

  6. #56
    Inactive Member Henry II's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2005
    Posts
    696
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Groovemeister:
    Kinkymook,

    Well said man, I'm not ragging on anyone here, all a ya'll are great! Having said that, I've noticed latetly that there is too much negativity flying round...

    These are our brothers, brothers!! [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]wink.gif[/img]

    MP
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Agreed. For a minute I thought I had been redirected to the Pearl forum (read sandbox).

    BTW, I've never seen Dom Fam live but I have seen video parts including the one with the college big band (didn't see the part where he allegedly lost it). And from what I've seen, he's an excellent drummer with excellent time and feel. Maybe he's not an innovator like VC, SG, DW, but then who is? Can any of them teach?

  7. #57
    Inactive Member Henry II's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2005
    Posts
    696
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Rudy_Ment:
    Thing is, dom is almost more of a celeb and probably makes more money than the pro drummers he'd love to play like. The pro drummers we actually respect. The pro drummers that should be earning shitloads more than dom. Well we've discussed what the vinnies and gadds are earning, but who really knows. But still, I apologise for being somewhat negative in this topic.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Why should certain pro drummers earn more than Dom? Because they are better players in the minds of other advanced/pro level drummers? Dom is so popular and succussful because he has an attitude and a personality of gold. He deserves all the success he has. Many great drummers would be well advised to pay money for attitude lessons from Dom. If world class artist/drummers don't make as much money, it's because not that many people (other than us) want to pay for their product.

  8. #58
    Inactive Member FuseU1's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 15th, 2002
    Posts
    3,631
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Good one.

    My sents exactly.

    While I don't listen to his playing much these days for inspiration; his enthusiasm, pro-activivty, & positivity is in fact the inspiring part...his forte being his motivational skills in "inspiring towards the education of the instrument" qualities...[as long as I don't think of the "game-show host factor" that some of you mentioned]... ;cp

    Once again, he is the "Tony Robbins" of drumming.

    Theme song for this entire topic [to the melody of the old TV series "Dragnet" theme]: "Dom, de-Dom-Dom...Dom, de-Dom-Dom-Dommmmmmmmmmmmmmm..." [img]wink.gif[/img]

    Well put, Dij. [img]cool.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 26, 2005 01:24 PM: Message edited by: fuseU1 ]</font>

  9. #59
    Inactive Member DrumDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9th, 2005
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I was quite surprised to find this topic posted on this site... A friend told me about it and I had to see it to believe it... Why are people here saying anything negative about Dom Famularo, by the sounds of things most of you have not even seen him play... I've shared the stage with Dom, Virgil, & Chad Smith, and we had NO problem grooving and there were no time issues.. For those of you who are referring to the Larry Londin Video, the solo was edited for time/length reasons.. this is where you are hearing timing issues..
    Before any of you start bad mouthing the worlds top players, take a look at yourself and start practicing more and less chat rooms!! just a thought folks!!

  10. #60
    Inactive Member DrumClinician10's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9th, 2005
    Posts
    18
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey Dazzler,

    You have over 1200 posts. You sound like you have a lot of important things to do with your time.

    Actually, you know what? You remind me of a couple of people I had the unfortune to know - who never had the courage to pursue their own goals, but instead hide in forums and try to criticize people as a result of their own inferiority.

    Drummer who play on albums are a Dime a Dozen. In fact, most of the drummers on most of the albums for decades were unnoticed and forgotten. What a noble honor huh? Gee, that's something to shoot for? Thank God Zoro said "hey, these guys deserve some credit".

    Some people have greater missions, who have the opportunity to not have to be a slave to the artist and like a robot, follow a click day in and day out. Dom is the only drummer in the world who is fortunate enough to play whatever he wants and make a Huge living doing it.

    Keeping time? Obviously you guys havent even studied his book which was top 5 in Modern Drummer.

    Other musicians? Dom has played with BB King, The Buddy Rich Band, and other greats. He's not a "slave" drummer to the artist - he's one of the only drummers who IS THE ARTIST himself. That is a gift - and it's way beyond timekeeping, which Dom did decades ago before proceeding to much bigger things.

    Dom's feel and touch on the kit are revolutionary; and some of the reason top drummers drive (and even move) to study with him. And, the reason the man is #1 clinician (yes, over Virgil; yes, over Lang; yes, over all your friends that played on lifless albums).

    Dazzler - Your response is a typical response to someone who hasnt put in the practice time - then finds someone with amazing technique - and feels the obligation to find a flaw to disguise your feeling of inferiority.

    I'm sure Vic Firth wanted to hire someone as his Education Director that lacked basic timekeeping lol

    Come on, Dazzler: Grow Up - Now! And keep practicing! ...

    Your attitude will get better as you improve [img]smile.gif[/img]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •