benrand,
Thanks for posting that video of Dom.
Nice playing!
^^Maybe its because they read this controversial discussion. Just kidding, his videos are still on the website.
http://www.vicfirth.com/education/dr...mfamularo.html
I don't know about the sticks though.
Edit: And don't you love how vicfirth says they update their lessons every three weeks. It's been about a year and there are no new lesson videos.
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 24, 2005 11:07 PM: Message edited by: Graza ]</font>
benrand,
Thanks for posting that video of Dom.
Nice playing!
It's about time I said something here.
Dom Famularo has given A LOT to the drum community. The man can play with such passion, humor and intensity - especially for his age! He tours the world many times over to spread the word of drums and drummers, he hosts, he performs, he motivates and he is a great speaker... a joy to watch on stage wether he is speaking or playing.
He has also published a very good book called The Cycle Of Self Empowerment, which I would recommend to anyone and everyone. It is not entirely about drums, it is about life.
Let me ask you this, if you are one of those people who thinks that Dom is not a pro drummer, or "just a celeb" - then how can he play so well? He certainly has more skill and chops than your average amateur!
In the last few years Dom really challenged himself and stepped out of the box when he began to play left hand lead on a right kit. He forced himself to do this and now he is pretty comfortable playing this way - it has worked wonders for his coordination and brought his left hand up to par with his right. I'd dare any of you to try that. It is really stepping out of your comfort zone and overcomming a personal challenge for the reward of growth.
I have nothing negative to say about Dom, and I (still) don't see why anyone would.
Andy, what video? [img]confused.gif[/img]
What is the purpose of drums in music...?
Play them by our self end let them sound like someone is poring Cheerios over the kit??
I dont think so...
www.generalmills.com
Steve asked me to place the link in this thread.
The Dominator
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">haha, now THAT is a funny image. Check out Chris' last post. Say what you want but those are largely very valid points.Originally posted by trommari:
What is the purpose of drums in music...?
Play them by our self end let them sound like someone is poring Cheerios over the kit??
I dont think so...
www.generalmills.com
I don't know Dom but he always seems nice at trade shows. I'm kind of surprised he's generating this much controversy.
Far as I can tell, whatever money he makes he earns just like anyone else.
I don't like his playing though. It's just like a drum-off video. (but thanks for posting it Benrand)
I'd be curious to hear him with a band. I think someone gave me that Sabian tape years ago; I'll have to dig it out.
I'm personally of the opinion that you don't have to be a great player to be a great teacher and I believe this is proven to be true in virtually any activity. I don't really see how anyone could deny that.
Just watched the video Benrand posted of Dom.
I've got to say that twirling/cymbal tapping thing he does is kinda weird.........
Doesn't seem like his solo is based on musicality as much as it is just "blasting/phrasing". Please don't tear me to shreads on this, I really don't know Dom, his playing or his abilities within a band concept. But his playing just strikes me as weird.
Now I just downloaded a Weather Report DVD from the 70's with Peter Erskine!! WOW WOW WOW!!! Holy Sheaat!!! Peter is a mofo monster!! Never really seen peter play either, but do I have a lot of new found respect for the guy!!! And Zawinul!!! Amazing comping/voicing. Now I know why guys like Steve Weingart love him so much.
IBGUTMEMTOF12-Y-O-GSMSTPBIFTHHALTOWYHD(S?)H
(I've been giggling up to my ears many times over Fuse's 12-year-old-girl SMS-type posting, but I've found that he has a lot to offer when You have desciphered (spello?) him.)
By the way... Dom is deviding drummers all over the world. You will never agree on him. Either you dig him, or you don't.
Bookmarks