I'm sure alot of people would have sex with children too if it were allowed today. I don't think either is something that anyone with an IQ over 40 would subscribe too.
im sure ALOT of people would still have slaves if it were still allowed to this day...
heck im sure some of your preachers, and most dedicated christians in the area would have slaves, every body needs a little extra help, and slaves were cheap... i agree.... yeah it can still be remembered, but not the college kids outta school, and half the county out of work....
it's rediculous
I'm sure alot of people would have sex with children too if it were allowed today. I don't think either is something that anyone with an IQ over 40 would subscribe too.
"There he goes, one of Gods own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"
Guess I'd be assassinated by the KKK if that bs was still allowed in this day and age. Imagine that-a white man fighting for equality of all persons. See I have this silly notion that God created all of us, and he intended for all mankind to be equal, regardless of the color of their skin.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future
This reply isnt directed at any one person.
Slavery would have ended without the war. It was actually cheaper to pay wages than to keep a slave and give them room and board and feed them. NO I am not agreeing with slavery at all. What MLK did was help in getting equal rights.
Now Beast I have one thing to say to you. God created all men equal. Also Beast would your name be Jesse?
In regards to those who do believe in slavery:
What if it were white slavery... I'm sure the racists who believe in black/non-white slavery would change their opinions in a heart-beat.
I'm disgusted by the fact that racism and beliefs like this still exist. It's the 21st century - figure it out folks. You want extra help? HIRE a legal full-paid staff.
Sometimes I'm ashamed of this area (not everyone in it of course - there are some really upstanding people; the few extremists & morons ruin it). This is why I adopted a neutral accent - so I wouldnt have to explain where I was from.
You'll shoot your eye out.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
im sure ALOT of people would still have slaves if it were still allowed to this day...
heck im sure some of your preachers, and most dedicated christians in the area would have slaves, every body needs a little extra help, and slaves were cheap... i agree.... yeah it can still be remembered, but not the college kids outta school, and half the county out of work....
it's rediculous
[/ QUOTE ]
Slaves were not cheap at all, thats why only rich plantation owners had slaves. Thats one of the biggest misunderstandings about slavery. Very few people owned slaves and the ones who did were wealthy. I agree with what hunter said, slavery would have ended itself. With the invention of the Cotton Gin and the Tractor, slavery was no longer necessary.
It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.
-Teddy Roosevelt
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Sometimes I'm ashamed of this area (not everyone in it of course - there are some really upstanding people; the few extremists & morons ruin it). This is why I adopted a neutral accent - so I wouldnt have to explain where I was from.
[/ QUOTE ]
This is the stupidest thing I have ever seen on here. If you have to "adopt a new accent" so you wont have to explain to people where you are from, then you need to go somewhere else. Just because there are a few idiots (which are everywhere you go) doesnt mean you should be ashamed of where you come from. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.
It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.
-Teddy Roosevelt
Have you ever lived in a different area and tried to explain to the others there what Wise County is like? I have. It was while away I had to adopt a different accent.
The stereotype is so horrific it's nearly impossible to overcome sometimes. You're automatically branded an inbred racist uneducated hillbilly. Try getting a job like that. The bookkeeper at my last job, that I had for 6 years even made fun of my accent and where I was from.
Take in the context of the entire post before you start criticizing. I'm proud of my heritage and I'll share that with anyone that listens. But you can't share anything with those that only believe the stereotype and I got sick of arguing with people.
People would not take me seriously, or as an educated professional, with my Wise County accent. It's no fun being mocked or laughed at.
You'll shoot your eye out.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I dont really think slavery was such a bad thing myself.
[/ QUOTE ]
I can't even begin to respond to this. First of all, we all know that slavery wasn't only whites enslaving blacks - blacks also enslaved blacks, and there are tons of other examples. But for anyone to think that it's actually okay to view another whole group entirely as sub-human is the perfect example of why hatred is still spread throughout the world today.
Think about how young the history of African Americans is today in the US. The last recorded lynching was in 1981 in Mississippi or Alabama, I believe. Think about the courage it took to stand up against a group, as a minority, when the history you have with that group includes them beating you until your skin ripped off of your body, watching as your children were torn from you and sold to another white man, or watching your wife, sister daughter raped on a consistent basis.
It's different than Grant because Grant was a WHITE man in a WHITE society. Totally different situation. African Americans....ALL Americans.... should be proud of Dr. King as a leader not only in black culture, but also in US history.
(Sorry if I've repeated something that someone else already said. I didn't read all the posts, I had to start writing.)
Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war minus the shooting.
George Orwell
Hmm...while I can empathize with elp6n on the accent thing, I don't exactly think adopting a new dialect is the answer or best solution to overcoming the stereotype that this area is often labeled.
When I went to Tech, I had a really hard time with that my first 2 years. I hated giving presentations in class. Most of my peers were from NOVA and thought VA ended at Blacksburg.
But by the end of my Sophomore year, I realized that changing who I was did not help myself or even this area overcome the stereotype. I don't even have a super thick accent, but when people heard me talk, they automatically said, WHERE ARE YOU FROM? I went from a shy, "Southwest Virginia...about 3 hours from here...." To GAAA'Gia...or TEEEEXAS (Slow and as drawn out as possible)...then finally, "I'm from VIRGINIA...Ya know...The state we are in right now...."
I never heard anyone EVER make fun of a black person's dialect or a Chinese person's dialect up there. It's just ignorance that people need to get over. Just as ignorant as The Beast's comment on this board.
Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war minus the shooting.
George Orwell
Bookmarks