Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 117

Thread: MLK

  1. #41
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: MLK

    It doesn't end. The stereotypes do not die.

    I know I'm intelligent - I never thought I wasn't because of where I was from.

    And no, an employer will NEVER tell you "it's your dialect/accent." The only thing you get it "found someone more qualified."

    I've already been there done that. This cycle won't break and it's every man for himself. I'm not going to starve just to take a stand for my natural accent.

    Yes the others need to change how they view us - but it's not going to happen.

    I got a job quickly in this area.. that wasn't a problem. Try getting one outside of this area in a professional field, as a professional though. Not Wal-Mart, not a mall job, or the like. No one wants the hillbilly, if you sound like one and there are other candidates.

    It's the Real World. Standing up for your ideals is a great concept, if you dont have to earn your own way in life.
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  2. #42
    Inactive Member imported_VTgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 24th, 2002
    Posts
    1,245
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: MLK

    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    It's the Real World. Standing up for your ideals is a great concept, if you dont have to earn your own way in life.

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Kinda ironic statement on this thread.

    But anyway, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree or whatever that cliche saying is....
    Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war minus the shooting.
    George Orwell

  3. #43
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: MLK

    Meaning I cant risk being unemployed, homeless and starving because I want to use my natural accent.

    Agree to disagree.
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  4. #44
    Inactive Member greencrest1272's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2004
    Posts
    1,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: MLK

    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    It's the Real World. Standing up for your ideals is a great concept, if you dont have to earn your own way in life.



    [/ QUOTE ]

    I dont even know where to begin on how to reply to that...
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

    -Teddy Roosevelt

  5. #45
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: MLK

    See my above post.

    And I will repeat, I'm not going to starve, go homeless, lose my car, etc. over something as small as an accent.

    I don't get help from family - I don't live at home. I'm an adult. If I think I have to to something as small as not use an accent, then I'll do it.

    How about everyone that hasn't lived away from this area and doesn't have a career not try to tell me what I should do.... The decision I made has worked well for me. It's not a theory - for me it's proven.

    You can 'not like' my choice all you want, I'm not disagreeing that part. Disagree until you're blue in the face, write a letter to the editor, preach a sermon on it.. that's your right, but you sure aren't going to change my mind on the matter.
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  6. #46
    Inactive Member Shoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 4th, 2002
    Posts
    1,620
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: MLK

    I moved up to the panhandle of Wva. I am pretty close to NOVA, Pa, and Md and I hear people try to talk like me all the time when I say something. I have people come to me and ask if we still have outhouse and run moonshine or best one yet is my sister my mom on my brother side. Come on people. It's just Craziness I tell ya. What the kicker is when people say something in their best mountian, hillbilly, country draw they are overlly dramatic about it.
    "Freedom is not free, it requires great sacrafice. The price is paid in blood."

  7. #47
    Inactive Member greencrest1272's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2004
    Posts
    1,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: MLK

    Hey, if thats what you feel like you gotta do to get by, then I cant argue with that. I dont like it, but I cant argue with it. At least you are standing on your own two feet and seem to be doing a damn good job at it.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

    -Teddy Roosevelt

  8. #48
    Inactive Member waveplayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 31st, 2004
    Posts
    227
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: MLK

    the only reason i don't like MLK day is because we do not get out of school [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much. Oscar Wilde


  9. #49
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: MLK

    When people ask where I am from I just say Im from where the Jones are from [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

  10. #50
    Inactive Member greencrest1272's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2004
    Posts
    1,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: MLK

    I just tell them that Justin Hamilton is my cousin and Ralph Stanely is my uncle.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

    -Teddy Roosevelt

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •