Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 268

Thread: CONSOLIDATION

  1. #31
    Inactive Member NotSoSilentBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,067
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: CONSOLIDATION

    Nothing has been passed. All that passed tonight was a motion to have a public hearing on 11/3 at 6PM in the Kelly auditorium. This public hearing is a pre-requisite to holding a vote on consolidation.

    As it stands now, I see consolidation happening. Then again, it could be a Dickenson Co. type of consolidation where the measure passes, but nothing ever takes place.
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

  2. #32
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: CONSOLIDATION

    If it hasn't been passed...there will be hell at that meeting. I was under the impression it passed.
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

  3. #33
    Inactive Member imported_blue52's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 14th, 2002
    Posts
    893
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: CONSOLIDATION

    Im going to be there for that it should be great.

  4. #34
    Inactive Member UTVols2's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    5,601
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: CONSOLIDATION

    I believe Norton will pick up quite a few students as well. They will get all those students just outside the city limits that normally went to county schools (i.e., Thackers Branch, Guest River, Tacoma, Josephine, Dunbar, some Appy kids that WON'T go to PV, and a few others.) I see there enrollment still being small but a lot larger than it has been IF this happens. I could see us in the 350 range maybe more.
    [IMG]http://www.gifsoup.com/view/926256/tennessee-vols-al-wilson-o.gif[/IMG]

  5. #35
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: CONSOLIDATION

    It won't be PV..
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

  6. #36
    Inactive Member luvthosevols's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 2nd, 2007
    Posts
    64
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: CONSOLIDATION

    "Nothing has been passed. All that passed tonight was a motion to have a public hearing on 11/3 at 6PM in the Kelly auditorium. This public hearing is a pre-requisite to holding a vote on consolidation."

    He's right. Nothing passed. They have to have the public meetings before they can actually vote. If I understand it, even if the school board votes to consolidate, the board of supervisors could still shoot it down. My question is how many Wise County citizens can afford at least a 20% tax increase? I was at the meeting tonight and that was the figure that kept coming up with 3 new schools.
    It would be 3 new schools. All six would be closed and 3 new ones built.

  7. #37
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: CONSOLIDATION

    Well...that's a horse of a different color..
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

  8. #38
    Inactive Member cuuvapitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 9th, 2008
    Posts
    184
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: CONSOLIDATION

    Unless everyone else in Wise County has property taxes like they are in Pennsylvania then 20% is not as much as what everyone thinks it would result in...I will gladly pay 20% more for my children to have a much better education as a result...I did the math on how much 20% on my taxes are now and what it would mean and think I can handle the increase as it is no where near what my mother pays of at least $1,500 for much less house and land in Pennsylvania and that is one of the lowest property taxes for a person you will find there.

  9. #39
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: CONSOLIDATION

    Property tax for county and town all add up..Wise Co. isn't exactly the cheapest taxes around either. It isn't like the school is gonna educate the children...teachers do. And I doubt there'll be much change over there.
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

  10. #40
    Inactive Member luvthosevols's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 2nd, 2007
    Posts
    64
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: CONSOLIDATION

    With the economy the way it is everywhere, I don't think Wise county needs to be starting on any major projects like building 3 new schools. We've got too many people in this county on fixed incomes who can't afford any tax increase.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •